Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2011, 08:29 AM  
Coming two

Dressage vs Jumper and conformation

I am a conformation geek,I really enjoy studying and leaning about conformation. With some of the recent horse buying threads and discussions on potential babies for eventing ,jumping or dressage, horses,it has got me even more interested in stifle conformation for these disciplines.I would love to see pictures of successful (or unsuccessful) horses (or potential horses) for these disciplines and be able to further study and look at their conformation.If any one knows of good articles that I could read along with pictures that would help me in my quest or if you would like to share pictures of your horse and their story for us to learn from I would appreciate it .I hope I posted this in the proper category if not Mods feel free to move it.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:16 AM  
Long Yearling

Good morning.. this lady has some great stuff out there http://www.jwequine.com/ I was able to follow her around one day.. what a wealth of info..

Of course you will get people who think it is a pile of
cathie5665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:28 PM  
Coming two

thanks Cathie I briefly looked at the web site and I look forward to studying it furhter
Old 01-25-2011, 04:34 PM  
Long Yearling

You are soo welcome.. I have a couple of her ezines?
Old 01-25-2011, 09:16 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Great reading! Ties in really well with Deb Bennett's teaching (I think the two would get along well ). I can tell the "good" and the "bad" and the extremes of each but the in-between horses are harder for me to see (especially from a photo).
Miichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:58 AM  
Coming two

I agree Michelle the good and the bad are easier to tell but that in between what separates the two.I am quite interested in the stifle in particular (atm) but I have had a really difficult time finding anything really specific addressed to it.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:12 PM  
Pasture Pet

Download Judy Wardrope's ebooks books. They are well worth it. Reading her articles are great too, just not as thorough or well laid out.

As soon as the coming three year olds look less ridiculous I am planning to do conf shots of the three of them to try to speculate how they will do in the future, and see if they live up to the prediction as they start training.

Karen
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:20 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Over the last couple of days I've taken photos of our horses & drawn lines all over them. Surprisingly the angles matched my inital evaluation of each horse but now I know WHY I chose them, if that makes sence... :s
Old 01-28-2011, 07:36 PM  
Kid Safe

I'm sort of with you Michelle- I know that I like a horse, but may not be able to say "it is because of this angle or that". But when you look specifically - there are the angles, just like they are supposed to be!
singing tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:03 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I.E.: My grey gelding has text book angles for an Event horse but his LS is slightly behind his point of hip which will limit his power from behind, keeping him out of Upper Level competition, he leans slightly more toward dressage type...
Old 01-28-2011, 08:09 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Leaning toward dressage type is desirable at lower to mid-level Eventing (as long as they are SAFE to jump) because that's where most Events are won or lost at this level. Most somewhat athletic horses can jump the heights at Novice level...

Last edited by Miichelle : 01-28-2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-28-2011, 08:15 PM  
Greenbroke Member

And common sence should tell you that a horse with Jasper's bone and size 4 feet won't be able to gallop the upper level CC courses regardless of how well he can jump. I figure he'll max out at Training level, IF I can get him fit enough he MAY go Prelim.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:43 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Also his stifle is low, his point of shoulder high, his neck ties in even higher than his point of shoulder, his humerus is long & sloping, and his "pillar of support" such that there isn't much horse in front of it making him easy to get on the bit.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:47 PM  
Greenbroke Member

So overall he's just what I bought him to be, only now I know "why" he is what he is.

Sorry for the multiple posts. I'm on my phone and it's a pain in the ***!
Old 01-29-2011, 08:18 AM  
Coming two

Michelle please feel free to post your pictures along with your drawings I would love to see them,along with any one else who would like to share their findings and experience.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:46 AM  
Greenbroke Member

I would post my pictures but I don't have a scanner to post the pictures that I've drawn on. Is there any other way to do it (other than scanning)?
Old 01-29-2011, 03:22 PM  
Pasture Pet

Take a picture of the drawing and them post the picture!

Karen
Old 01-29-2011, 03:40 PM  
Pasture Pet

Conf shots of horses from my past (hunter/jumper)

Here is a photo of my former hunter mare:

She was a very able 3'0' hunter with a smooth and easy jump which made her most suitable for Adult Amateur and Children's classes. As you can see, she did not have great conformation; high stifle, long back, short neck, and her bum stuck out behind her hocks (she had big curbs on both hocks by the time she was 5). She was also very bench kneed and had massive splints.

These flaws gave her less scope, but the ability to get herself out of bad distances and wrap over the jump. She was a great horse for the 3'0" levels and competed well into her teens. Last I saw her she was down in Arizona!

She was a Oldenburg crossed with an Arab/QH.

Here is Ross:

He was a 4 year old TB in this photo. I bought him from the now famous conformational expert Judy Wardrope. Ross competed with me in the Hunter Maturities and won the in hand, and finished top three overall in both Alberta Maturites. Hewas also Champion in 2'6". I sold him at the start of his 5 year old year. I did not follow his show career after I sold him.

Ross had a very easy to ride jump. He lacked scope, and likely would have topped out at 3'6", but maybe he matured into himself. Had a great shoulder for hunters.

This is Niki:

She is the dam of the horse in my Avatar. Niki was a Nationally rated Pre Green hunter in Canada, and after having two foals, went on to a very successful hunter career in the US (competed to 3'6"). Niki had endless talent and could jump big and from pretty much anywhere, she was just too hot/difficult to compete over the more technical jumper courses. She was an EXTREMELY fancy hunter and jumped consistently with her knees above horizontal and her nose between her knees. Very bouncing trot. Niki was a registered and branded Canadian Trakhener. Bred for dressage, but way too hot.

Interestingly, Ross would beat her in the models, and sometimes the under saddles, but couldn't touch her over fences.

Finally here is Jazz:

Jazz was a Holsteiner mare by Silberpfeil. Free jumping amazing, but took a while to get her legs under her with a rider. She showed 3'6"-3'9" jumpers while I had her, but was inconsistent. With her new owner and a few years under her belt, she was able to compete in the small tour open jumpers (4'6").

Her hig stifle limited her scope so she needed a precise ride to clear the fences, but she had great shoulder and hip angles.

Karen
Old 01-29-2011, 03:48 PM  
Long Yearling

Thanks Karen
Very informative!!
Old 01-30-2011, 07:53 AM  
Coming two

Thanks EA awesome information!Interesting comments about Jazz,I have read comments similar to that about Voltaire babies and Voltaire himself that it took him awhile to get his jumping legs for undersaddle,but that once they matured with more riding they were awesome .Anyone else want to ad some info and posts please feel free,

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice