Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2010, 06:32 AM  
Weanling Member

anybody get into horses later in life?

just curious if theres anyone who either got into horses in there adult years? or if you took a long break in between for whatever reason (10 + years)? i am horseless at the moment and i feel like somethings missing ever since i had to sell my horse over a year ago. i want to start riding again but feel like its impossible. all the places that offer lessons are around $50 and up which i cant afford right now. it just seems there is no way i will be able to start riding again or at least not for a while and I'm just hoping my break right now doesn't turn into forever like it feels. i even have been checking for barn help jobs just so i can be around horses, haven't had any luck. does anyone have any suggestions or maybe have been in my place at one point in time or another?
ILoveMyPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:30 AM  
aes
Greenbroke Member

I am 33 and only started riding regularly last September. I know my barn owner will let some people work off lessons with chores, maybe you could ask around to some of the facilities in your area?
aes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:34 AM  
Greenbroke Member

check on the COTH forum.......there is a section within a thread (either off course, around the farm, or horse care) that is called matchmaking.....it posts info about people who need their horses ridden, as well as for folks without horses who would like to ride........ther just might be something available in your area!

and while my kids were small , i had horses, just no time for personal riding, but i did alot with the kids riding.......so, had been out of the saddle for a number of years before going back.........it just never leaves one's blood, does it?
at one point, i thought i was "cured" of horses and riding, but all it tkaes is one touch or smell of horse, and i'm a goner
tallyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:51 AM  
Kid Safe

I got my first horse 35 years after I first asked for one. I never even it occurred to me that I would have one.

I was in my 40s.

"all things come to those who wait"

If not now, later.
dreamcleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:24 AM  
Weanling Member

thanks for the advice as well as sharing your experiences. after i posted i called my mom to talk and just mentioned how i wanted to start riding again and she basically laughed at me telling me to give it up because i have a family now. i know i have a family but since when does that mean i should give up on my dream? riding was the one thing i had and without it i feel really lost. she defiantly put a damper everything. it would be great if my kids were interested but they aren't.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:29 AM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyho View Post
check on the COTH forum.......there is a section within a thread (either off course, around the farm, or horse care) that is called matchmaking.....it posts info about people who need their horses ridden, as well as for folks without horses who would like to ride........ther just might be something available in your area!

and while my kids were small , i had horses, just no time for personal riding, but i did alot with the kids riding.......so, had been out of the saddle for a number of years before going back.........it just never leaves one's blood, does it?
at one point, i thought i was "cured" of horses and riding, but all it tkaes is one touch or smell of horse, and i'm a goner
whats the COTH forum?
Old 04-28-2010, 09:31 AM  
Yearling Member

I am only 20 and have had a horse most of my life so I can't share experiences there.

But as far as letting your family interfere with your dreams...DON'T.

My dad refers to horses as "hay burners". My sister is terrified of them. My other sister could care less. My mom simply rolls her eyes when I start talking horses. When I got Lulu this last weekend my grandpa said "You'd be better off digging a hole and putting her in it". I am extremely close to aunts, uncles, etc and all of them say that it is a waste of my time and money especially since I am a college student.

But you know what? I love it. Riding makes me relax and relieves the stress from college and the real world.

My advice is don't let your family interfere. If you like and it makes YOU happy that is all that matters. Not their opinion. Don't let your mom put a damper on your dreams. Maybe your kids will come around once they see how much fun you have with horses. I say if you can figure something out, go for it!
Old 04-28-2010, 09:33 AM  
Yearling Member

I took a 15 year break from horses so that i could raise my kids and graduate college. I know what you mean about the lessons being an arm and a leg, they are around $40 here.
To bad that you don't live close to me I have a few friends that come out and ride (all adults) just to help me exercise my horses and so that im not always riding by myself.

RIP Katie,Mac,Cupid,Elmo, Dudley and Cheyeene you are gone but you will never be forgotten. Cheyeene the barn will never be the same without you.
MoneyPitFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:44 AM  
Weanling Member

cait-it is so frustrating to not have the support of the ones whom i am closest with. it would be so nice to have someone that supported my interest and dreams. it seems that all people ever do when i bring up horses is laugh, roll there eyes, or change the subject. it just really sucks. i am trying to keep myself as motivated as i was this morning before i talked with her but its hard. i cant give up on it because i know later on in life i will look back and regret it big time.

MoneyPitFarm-that would be wonderful if i lived closer! it seems i live in the wrong area. there are very few farms and horse people around where i live. i geuss that just makes it a lot harder to find affordable lessons as well as barn work.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:03 AM  
Yearling Member

Send a message via AIM to AnChap
I know tons of people with families that ride. I work full time and am married and got into horses later (I'm 25, but I just got my first horse). Lessons are expensive, leasing or owning can be really good, but obviously more expensive.

My family thinks I'm a little silly for still liking horses,my in-laws think it's too expensive, but it's what keeps me from going crazy, so I'd never give it up. It is possible
AnChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:19 AM  
Long Yearling

I started riding at 44, got my first horse. Now, at 62 still ride a bit but have gotten into mini horse driving. I never rode more than a pony ring ride as a child but have loved horses all my life. My advise to anyone getting into riding later in life. Get a much older horse, with a ton of experience.... Pony Club or 4-H and get a good instructor. It depends on what you want to do with your riding. I wanted to do very, very, low level dressage and trail riding. For the most part, that is what I have done. You are never too old to reach for your dreams. Go for it....
Old 04-28-2010, 11:37 AM  
Kid Safe

You don't say how old you are.

For the younger crowd, families DO intefere with the process of having horses. It is the way it is and personally, I don't really have/had a problem with that. My kids/family way more important to me. Financially, as well, raising a family is costly, mortgages, car payments, braces I could go on. Often they don't mesh, but that doesn't mean never. They are also time consuming, if kids little, add in your volunteer time at the school, for sports. They ALWAYS come first.

Lots of people don't get it, include my husband and kids. So?

My MIL, when the dementia was just starting, put initials or pics of who the speed dials were for, put a pic of a . For some reason known only to her, she really resented it.

You don't have to give up the dream, just put it on hold for now.
dreamcleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:40 AM  
Weanling Member

I got my first horse when I was 13 (finally) I guess Dad got tired of us kids riding the calves!!!! We had horses until I was 19-20 and then we didn't get into them again until 5 years ago when I was 34. It's weird cause all the knowledge and experience is still there just a little rusty......it all comes back real fast........
ilovepaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:54 AM  
aes
Greenbroke Member

Where there's a will there's a way. I'm sure your mom was raised in a time when you were expected to give up everything for your family. Now we are In a place where balance is important. If I were you I'd tell the unsupportives to bite me. LOTS of people are afraid of horses and say disparaging things because they are afraid to admit they are afraid. Ignore them.
aes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:58 AM  
cvb
Newborn Member

Older, but finally arrived!

Got my first horse at age 53. I'm 57 now and loving it. The kids are grown, in college and/or married. My husband is very supportive but no one in my family is that interested in horses. It's always been my desire to own one and the reality is different, but better than I dreamed. Having something you love and look forward to doing is the best way to stay happy and young at heart. You'll have a chance to go back to riding someday.
cvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:22 PM  
Weanling Member

I used to BEG my parents for riding lessons when I was little. Along with piano and dance lessons.
I also got the same answer from them. "Your sisters did it and didn't like it, and you won't either"
I got to settle with hanging out with the neighbor kids and riding thier ponies and collecting Breyers.

Well, I grew up and got a job and I tried piano. Didn't like it and really wasn't that good at it.
Tried Dance. Wasn't that great at that either.
Tried riding lessons. Loved it!
I was in my 20's.

Now being "older", I have two horses and my life revolves around them. My husband doesn't mind. He understands and would trailer me to the shows, until I learned to do it all myself.

My sisters, never come to a show to see me ride and aren't really that interested in what I do. You know what I don't care either. It's what I love to do.

Yeah, I could have a fancy car and bigger house and shop all the time. But you know what I won't be happy with that. I do what makes me happy and that is my horse's. They are my children.

COTH is Chronicle of the Horse. There are sections there that might be able to match you up with a horse that isnt' being ridden so much because of whatever reason. Try it!

Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:33 PM  
Long Yearling

I got my first horse when I was 40 and am now up to 3 with one ready to foal any day. I have 5 and a 6 year old daughters and my husband lives in another state. I have my horses so I don't go crazy. Sorry, I don't put my children first every time, sometimes I put myself first. In the winter they get to do their sports and school stuff, in the summer, it's my time. They've grown up "helping" take care of the horses, learning that the animals need for food and clean bedding comes before play time, that if we want to do the extra, fun things, we have to work harder/longer to be able to. I don't think those are bad things.

You can have a family and horses, it just takes a little extra work.

Also, you might want to check craigslist for a horse to ride. My father purchased a horse, had it a couple of months, fell in love with it her and then had a stroke. He can no longer ride, but refuses to sell her. We found a wonderful lady who comes out, rides her, brushes and gives her the attention she deserves. It's been a win/win situation for all.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:03 PM  
Weanling Member

I got my first horse at 46 - always always wanted one. I ended up getting one because of my daughter She was always horse crazy and when she was 8 we started her in riding lessons. Well that evolved in to leasing a pony and then buying a pony. I decided I was spending so much time at the barn that I may as well be riding too. So I started taking lessons on a lesson horse and was enjoying it so much - my husband surprised me with a horse of my own - a beautiful 16 yr old red roan quarter horse - been there done that kinda guy. I'M IN LOVE (with my husband too!).

It has been the best thing ever - my daughter is now 17 and we have the most amazing bond because of the horses.

My advice is to be open to any opportunity that may put you around horses - you never know where it will lead.
rudy_begonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:30 PM  
Yearling Member

Old enough to have hot flashes and have my first horse

It is never too late to do what you love.
green.willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:58 PM  
Newborn Member

When I was about 11 yrs old I begged to take horse riding lessons. I got them and absolutely loved them. I begged for a horse but that didn't happen. I was 46 when I got my first horse and I'm now 49 and added a mini horse recently. Because of my health I can't ride much but I do spend a lot of time with them.

Strangely, my kids are very jealous of my horse let alone animals. Yes, I've acquired chickens which upset them too. The way I see it? It's tough, I'm the mother and it's my time now. I only have one kid left and she likes the animals. The others have moved out. My family isn't interested in animals at all....... they are not interested in my animal stories either. Love my husband because he does!!! You will know when it's right to get a horse.

You can post on Craigslist. Many people post here willing to exercise horses for free just so they can ride. Some are willing to do barn chores. Many people don't have the time to ride so they will find someone that will take care of there horse(s). Good luck.
RayNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice