Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2010, 12:46 PM  
Halter broke

Angry ticks

dose eneyone no how to keep ticks off horses???? i'v you'ed file spray, the drops and noting is helping. i groom her every day and i put off 7 ticks on her. and i need to try to find something to help keep them off of her. and she is on a feild. so if eneyone has eney ideas on how to keep them down would be very thankful.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:46 PM  
Seasoned

Here's a good, short article on them

http://www.horsechannel.com/horse-he...icks-4822.aspx
Red Gate Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:35 PM  
Long Yearling

I know this is gonna sound funny, but old cowboy in neighbor hood, I mean old, school way of things, takes 5 or 6 flea collar for dogs and loops them together, has not had a problem since....Dont know if really works, just what he tells me...
Old 04-14-2010, 03:51 PM  
Coming two

oh I hate ticks they can give a lot of sickness to animals and people. to find 7 is not so bad, i have seen animals just covered with hundreds of ticks. Ticks so bad the humans are getting some too.

yes its good to keep some product on them that kills and repells ticks to help keep the numbers down on the animal. and its good you groom regular and pull off the ones you see.

Best thing though is to find where the ticks are coming from and spray or treat the area. sometimes its a old wood building,a barn or woodie brushie area that is full of ticks. spray good there with a approved bug spay that kills ticks and then they are gone.
Sunlei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:46 AM  
Yearling Member

We had horses turned out on long pasture and they came in everyday with 20+ ticks. The vet recommended Frontline spray for dogs. We sprayed the entire base of the mane, the entire tailbone, and sprayed a line down the back of each leg. Repeated once/month. We didn't find a single tick the rest of the summer! It was definitely worth the $40!
misstishus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:10 AM  
Halter broke

This might sound crazy- but is there anyway you can get a couple of guineas? They will eat the ticks and other bugs- you will not have a tick problem anymore.
debbiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:29 AM  
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiec View Post
This might sound crazy- but is there anyway you can get a couple of guineas? They will eat the ticks and other bugs- you will not have a tick problem anymore.
I have heard of that. Seems a little more environmentally good than just the sprays. Thanks for mentioning it.
singing tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:39 PM  
Weanling Member

I just pulled one off my guy on Thurs. (can you say ICK!)
I put Avon Skin so Soft all over him. He still stinks on Sunday for the stuff, but it seems to work.

Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:21 PM  
Kid Safe

Guineas are kinda' dumb though, and loud, and messy. I tried that approach. The first day I couldn't get them back in their nighttime safe hut...I lost 9. The next night....6. The three remaining didn't much leave the deck.

Frontline spray? Really? I might try that. I am trying the Spot On right now, but it's kinda' oily and I think it burns. Oily is not good where it's sunny, it can cause burns on top of the burning sensation.

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:07 AM  
Halter broke

I'm so glad I googled Guineas and found you were talking about fowl, because at first I thought you meant guinea pigs!

I wouldn't have thought of using Frontline. Good idea!
Marjael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:06 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via AIM to mingiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiec View Post
Yeap guinee keets love ticks...Plus thier great watch dogs.... If you have a lot of pine trees around ticks will be worst.
mingiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:42 AM  
Started

Send a message via MSN to horsey-gal
ICK!! I hate ticks! Thankfully its still too cold here for them. Alot of great suggestions, will definately keep them in mind for my trail riding!

" If God made anything more beautiful, he kept it for himself. "
horsey-gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:51 PM  
Newborn Member

When I lived in MO my old TB got hundreds of them.. I sat there with tweezers for hours picking them off. After a while it hit me that Dawn dish soap kills fleas, why not try it?

I lathered him up in two bottles of it. Let it sit 10 minutes.. then they popped right off. Head and all.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice