Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2010, 11:35 AM  
Greenbroke Member

How Much Weight Can a PONY Carry? (Pics Added)

How much weight, percentage wise, can a pony carry? I know that they can carry more for their size than a horse and a draft can carry less for their size than a horse, but what are the percentages? I prefer that my Sport Horses only carry 20% of their body weight although I know a lot of people will say that a horse can comfortably carry 25% of their weight. Event horses are doing more than just walking down a trail...

Last edited by Miichelle : 02-24-2010 at 05:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Miichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:35 PM  
Yearling Member

Don't know percentage wise, though I don't think you can have a set number for that. Like horses it really depends on the pony - there are some fine boned ones who really shouldn't be carrying much weight and then you have the stockier fjord/haflinger types that can carry a large adult. You just have to use good judgement.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:23 AM  
Greenbroke Member

I have a gorgeous Hafflinger colt that is coming three this spring. His dam is a stocky14 hands and his sire a more modern Sport type and 15 hands. Right now "Chip" stands about 13.2hh-13.3hh and weighs about 600 pounds, he didn't get nearly as big as I was hoping. By my calculations, at 25% of his body weight, he shouldn't carry more than 150 pounds including tack... I'm over (by 5 pounds) what he should carry and that's without tack! I don't know what to do with him... Maybe I just need to go on a diet.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:33 AM  
Long Yearling

I'm not quite sure either, but we bought this pony for my coach's daughter a few years ago, he was about 11 hands or so, and I helped break him w/t/c and small jumps, and he would do it with no problem. I also rode a 12hh pony mare for when she needed what we called a 'big girl school' when she was being naughty, and agian, should would have no problem doing w/t/c small jumps.
I think it all depends on the pony honestly, and what you'll be doing with him/her. Haffies are great ponies for larger adults, they can carry the weight easy, and you feel more secure being closer to the ground
In_Between2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:44 AM  
Bombproof Member

Rule of thumb I have read/heard is that most ponies can typically comfortably carry 30% of their weight.

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:39 AM  
Greenbroke Member

I'm hoping that I get more height out of him. My daughter's Haffie gelding was 14.1hh when we got him as a three and a half year old. He's coming six and right at 14.2hh. Our other older mare, Rose, (at 5 yrs. old) was about 13.2 as a two and a half year old and she grew another 2". Rose was very light built as a two and three year old and is built like a tank now. Chip has always grown slowly and proportionately, he's never had a gawky stage, and he's a stocky little thing. I just don't know if I'll ever be comfortable riding anything under 14.2hh...
Old 02-24-2010, 12:03 PM  
Weanling Member

I've just purchased my first pony, a solidly stout 13h gaited paint mare. I fell in love with her but wondered if I would be too heavy for her to comfortably carry.

I found this website called "Ponies for Grownies" and it has some good information that I would recommend reading!

http://www.gaitedhorses.net/Articles/HRiderGuide.shtml

Good luck with your Haffie!!!!
Old 02-24-2010, 12:32 PM  
Kid Safe

Only "coming 3" gives lots of time for growth! Don't be in such a hurry to give up on him!

You don't have to be crazy to be my friend,
but it helps!!!
sundancer maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:10 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer maiden View Post
Only "coming 3" gives lots of time for growth! Don't be in such a hurry to give up on him!
His half sister, same sire & same age, is a hand taller than him and it's all in her legs. When she fills out she's going to be pushing 15 hands (HUGE for a Haflinger!) and moves like a little WB. She's a definite keeper! Chip is actually fancier than his sister, not AS good of a mover because he has more knee action but he's a Haffie so it's not a fault. He's not gelded because he was bought as a stud prospect and I know they don't get as much height but do they mature slower also?
Old 02-24-2010, 02:25 PM  
Kid Safe

I would say he has a good chance of growing a bit. Who is the sire of these two? And yes, 15 hands is a whole lot of Haflinger! I ride a 14.3, 14.2 and a 14 hand mare. My mare handles me just fine, but I do feel a little big on her. She is somewhat finer boned than some. I am 5"6" and around 160lbs.
singing tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:57 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Both are sired by Arno van het Nieshof of Genesis Farm. (I'd post the link but I'm on my cell phone and can't ). The filly is out of an imported 14.2hh Nordtirol mare. Chip (Aurelius) is out of a 14hh Northern Lights TOF mare.

Last edited by Miichelle : 02-24-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:24 PM  
Kid Safe

Very nice bloodlines! Arno has sired some really, really pretty, athletic horses.

I like the blend into the "N" line as well. I think with time both with be excellent individuals. I am not quite as thrilled about Northern Lights as an individual, but he seemed to throw better he was, particularly in size.

One of my geldings is a grandson of Aristocrat. Norm is a son of Neiman Marcus. AJ (from Aristocrat) is the smoothest riding Haflinger I have ever been on, and has definite dressage potential, though if he stays at my house it will probably not be developed.
The real looker at my house though is my little mare. She is out of Afghan II. Her only fault is her smaller size... sigh We are considering breeding her to Standard of Excellence TOF. That is only if my friend's Haffie mare does not take....

Wish you were closer. Would love to see your guys up close and personal.

I think your smaller guy will grow enough to handle whatever you want to dish out.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:02 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I like the bloodlines on your horses! Do you have pictures you can post?

Here are some pictures of Chip taken today in all of his winter glory.
He really doesn't look too bad for being snowed on last night (you should see him in the summer!)...

Old 02-24-2010, 05:08 PM  
Greenbroke Member

And here's his half sister, Velclaire, taken last summer as a two year old. She's REALLY filled out over the winter (I'll have to get pictures of her soon. She's LOTS shaggier than Chip is right now!).

Old 02-24-2010, 05:20 PM  
Kid Safe

Here are some pics

the first is Mocha, the mare

Next is AJ, ridden by the Amish young man who broke him

Last is Norm

Last edited by singing tree : 02-24-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:24 PM  
Kid Safe

Both of yours look very nice - what I would expect out of Arno! Looks like Chip and Mocha came out of a very similar mold!
Old 02-24-2010, 05:55 PM  
Yearling Member

All I know is my short horses.. a 14.1hh possibly a 800lbs, refined built arab mare can carry me (230 lbs) plus tack for 8 hours on rugged trails. granted she is mature and finished growing (she is 12 this year i think).

My old arab gelding, Gally, was 14.1, stockier then my mare and carried me until i retired him. Granted I went from 165 to 220 lbs in that time frams (nearly 20 yrs). Never lame, unsound, whatever.

My refined 14.2hh arab gelding, again about 800lbs, can carry my butt and my tack on a 25 mile endurance ride.. in 4 hours. Never been unsound, or lame.. or sore in any way.

I think your guy will be fine once he is finished maturing.

Again I weigh in at 230lbs. Not a measly 160lbs. Your like half my weight. I dont think your guy will have a problem.

gaylaah kaizar magic
Reyvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:37 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I LOVE Mocha! I had a terrible time finding Haffies that I REALLY liked that were bigger than 14 hands. All the ones I liked were smaller (like Mocha). If Chip makes 14.1hh I'll keep him as a stud. If he doesn't I'll geld him and sell him. Our 5 year old mare is for sale because my daughter has her Haffie gelding and a 16+hh draft cross and I just don't feel right on a 14 hand pony even though she seems to pack me around just fine.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:50 PM  
Greenbroke Member

A.J. is adorable! He definitely shows his Aristocrat bloodlines! Our 5 yr old mare, Rose, is a granddaughter of Aristocrat and A Rock. I think she looks more like A Rock... What kind of mover is Norm? He's the tallest of your bunch, correct? I'm hoping Chip will get a bit longer through his body. His being so short coupled makes him look even smaller than he is.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:02 PM  
Kid Safe

Norm is an okay mover - would not make a very good dressage horse, because he just does not have the reach. What he does have is a very consistent trot. When you drive him, he is not all over the place, and is the same way on a trail. He just trots right along in a very straight line. He wants to please, takes both leads, and has a pleasant canter. He also walks briskly on trails, which I like. He will set his head for my 5 year old granddaughter, and is just responsive enough to be good for them in the round pen, but not apt to do something crazy. I had him for sale in the fall, but he did not sell, so I pulled him until spring. I want to concentrate on AJ, who needs miles, but if Norm is there, I tend to take him instead.

Mocha is the embodiment of everything I would want a Haffie to be, except for her size. She has a delightful, curious attitude, a fantastic trot and canter, with plenty of reach. When you ride her, you feel like you are on a much bigger horse. She is fun to drive also. That's why we are even considering a foal. We also thought about having her classified. I am pretty sure that she would classify silver.

And thanks for asking

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice