Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2010, 07:16 AM  
Halter broke

mane which side?

I just got a new mare who's mane is crazy all over the place, so now that I have all the burs out, I was banning it to lay flat on the left side when someone in the barn asked me why I was doing that, I stated to make it look nice and because I was told when I was young that a horses mane should lay on the left side, then she said she had never heard of that......am I wrong, did I dream I was told this? and is it the horses left side or mine when looking at her.

CoCo Cola Classic
CoCo Cola Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:36 AM  
Bombproof Member

I would let the mane be for a little bit and see which side it falls naturally. It may end up being on both sides. My mini has the top 1/2 on the left and the bottom half on the right (natural fall ) and my gelding has such a thick mane plus a calic = some fall on both sides.

If you do band watch they aren't too tight and the horse rubs them out then you have no mane.

Let it be natural

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:43 AM  
Kid Safe

Odd... Cuz most manes at my shows (AQHA) Are on the right... not the left. Every horse in my barn's mane is on the right side...

But It really doesn't matter. I thought I heard something about the mane usually naturally falls to the side the horse is stronger on. IDK if that's true, just heard it....

I also heard something about geldings to the right mares to the left, idk... lol
Sirita_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:50 AM  
Long Yearling

I remember hearing something like that when I was young too.. can't rember which side for sure.. but I am sure it's really just a matter of preference.. I hae manes on both sides in my herd..

It may be and old traditon thing.. like mounting on the left side. that all started becasue of the knights and their swords being carried on the left side..

Or when I showed pleasure horses in the 80's i had it drilled into my head that the reins were to be carried in the left hand..

I think it all in what people are used to or see... do what you want..

Quality Peformance horses with foundation breeding
http://blackcanyonpaints.webs.com/
CowhorseGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:56 AM  
Coming two

cowhorsegal has it right. I remember reading the mane goes to the left because of warriors fighting with their right hands. Also the American Indians riding without saddles grabbed mane to swing up at a gallop or to hang half way off and make less of a target. Guess there were no "lefties" in the old days.
dunamovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:04 AM  
Yearling Member

Send a message via AIM to AnChap
I'm always told my horse's mane is on the wrong side, but it's really THICK and he's my trail and fun buddy, so I really couldn't care less lol. And I don't think I could change it if I tried!
AnChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:11 AM  
Weanling Member

I was always taught that the mane should hang on the right.

My current horse has a beautiful thick mane, and it hangs on the left. It's actually a bit of a pain because when I go to tie his rope halter on, the mane gets tangled up in the knot. Grrrr.... However, I have no intention of making myself crazy trying to get it to lay on the "correct" side. He's a trail horse, so who really cares. Certaintly not me!
Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:30 AM  
Long Yearling

Bubbles' mane hangs everywhere and I've given up attempting to control it, I can band it for two weeks straight and when I take out the bands it'll still go half left and half right. He's like a shetland with all that hair!
bubbleslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:41 AM  
Kid Safe

My daughter says they go on a certain side depending if they're a mare or a gelding. I say that's silly, that they go to whatever side they go on naturally. The horses where we board have them on either side and it has nothing to do with what sex they are.
I've never raised a foal, though, so I don't know if people actually train them to go to a certain side when they're little.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:47 AM  
Started

I'm in agreement with just let it go the way it wants. It's the same with our human's hair - my does what it wants no matter how I try to make it go - it parts by itself!!!! No one should care and I'm SURE the horse doesn't
Stormy's Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:30 AM  
Started

I was always told that the horse's mane should go on the left side (their left) because when they enter the arena (for WP they always enter and go the the right) the judge will get the best first impression and see the whole horse - mane and all.

Personally, it just depends on what side the mane falls to. On my personal riders, I have one that goes to the right, one to the left. As long as it lays flat and pretty I don't care which side it's on. I'd rather it lay nicely than have to fight with it to be on the left side only. Pasture horses are au'naturale.
lopintoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:50 AM  
Halter broke

thanks guys sounds as though I am not the only confused person out there, it really doesn't matter any ways I was just fooling around with my new girl! she will only be a trail horse, she a appy with a not so nice mane so trying to get it to look as good as I can for the other horse don't make fun of her!!

CoCo Cola Classic
CoCo Cola Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:31 AM  
Pasture Pet

I remember when I was a kid, braiding to pay my show fees, a lady YELLED at me for braiding her horses mane on the left side! She said they had to be braided on the right. I always just braided the main on whichever side it lay naturally. I think it would be uncomfortable for the horse to have the mane forced to the other side.

I prefer my horse's manes to lay on one side, but I don't care which side. My babies have super thick manes that go on both sides...but I don't have the heart to pull them so they are thin enough to lay on one side only. When they are starting to show I will have to tame those manes though...

Karen
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:43 AM  
Kid Safe

In the Morgan world, the main is supposed to lie on the right. Fortunately, my Morgan mare's has always laid on that side from the time she was born. I never had to do anything to it. Not that she was being shown or anything. With the Haflingers, I am very thankful when most of it hangs on one side or the other! I train it to whatever side that is for the show, but before long it goes wherever it pleases. One of my Haffies has a perfect mane - except he has a sworl (sp?) just under his mane, and that makes one little chunk want to go the wrong way...
singing tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:55 PM  
Yearling Member

out of my 4 horses 1 lays left and the other three lay right.
Ghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:58 PM  
Halter broke

Hi all I have always heard it was a breed thing such as Quarter horses should lay on the left and TWH should lay on the right. These are the only two breeds that I have ever had any extensive dealings with so I don't know about other breeds. I can tell you that all of my gaited horses have their manes on the right side. Every quarter horse I ever had it was on the left.
gaitedhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:58 PM  
Yearling Member

Send a message via AIM to AnChap
One person at my barn has spent SO much time working to make her horse's mane go to the right side and I just will never be that person. My horse has tons of hair and I don't show, so I'll spend that time doing more important things with my time, such as learning how to not fall off while in the saddle and things like that..I'm obviously below the skill level of needing to care about manes lol
AnChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:50 PM  
Started

Send a message via Yahoo to Druydess
My 2 full sister Arabians each hang to opposite sides. My 2 Arabs who are mother/daughter - the dam hangs to the left, and the daughter hangs to the right.. So, I would assume, each horse, like people have a different affinity for hair growth...

Last edited by Druydess : 01-17-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Druydess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:10 PM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirita_88 View Post
Odd... Cuz most manes at my shows (AQHA) Are on the right... not the left. Every horse in my barn's mane is on the right side...

But It really doesn't matter. I thought I heard something about the mane usually naturally falls to the side the horse is stronger on. IDK if that's true, just heard it....

I also heard something about geldings to the right mares to the left, idk... lol
Funny I have 2 geldings.. mane on the right....2 mares ... mane on the left...lol that is funny..
Old 01-17-2010, 07:43 PM  
Greenbroke Member

. . . . so if the theory that the mane lies on the side the horse is stronger/dominant on (ie. right hoofed or left hoofed), what does that mean for the horses that have a split mane and half lies on each side???
Both my geldings have split manes, the top half is to one side and the bottom half lies on the other. I have tried to comb/brush/lie it all on the same side, but am not winning that battle any time soon. I have both a TWH and a QH cross.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice