Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2009, 07:22 PM  
Kid Safe

Hay Huts (roundbale feeder)?

What do you guys think? Ever heard of this? Sounds Really interesting!!! http://www.hayhuts.com/hh/index.htm

I was just thinking of building a hut or something to put roundbales in. All our horses are kept seperately so a round bale will last a long time, and rain will destroy it before the horsies can finish.
Sirita_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:29 PM  
Started

Never seen those before! They look like they would work great! They are kinda spendy though...i def would look into building one instead...Great idea though!
Old 12-02-2009, 07:32 PM  
Yearling Member

Was showing it to hubby. We had been discussing some type of round bale feeder for our horses. I hate the waste most feeders leave.

SilverLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:42 PM  
Weanling Member

I saw these at Equine Affaire in Massachusettes. They were really neat. The day we went it was pouring rain and the asphalt under them was still dry. The half unit was really cool. As long as my horse did not try to crawl in after the hay it would be a savings on the round bale for sure.
wind lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:57 PM  
Halter broke

those are neat. and just what i nead too. the first bale i had fed tore it apart and used as a bed. i dont think i would buy one, but would make one my self. put a pallet on the ground so it was off the ground and have hinged sides and roof for convenience or putting a bale in. i think it would be pretty easy to make and that looks like plasitc so it may crack if bumped hard when its -40 here, wood would be fine. maybe even put shingles on the top to last longer. i only have one horse so the roof could be slated. i think ill have to go buy some materials tommorow, and put my fiance to work. lol.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:27 PM  
Bombproof Member

I had one built chicken coop style with two wide doors in the end for loading and slats along the front wall to control how far their noses went in. Also keeps a hoof out. This was a prototype and didn't work for rounds as no equipment for putting one in there. Had I had the equipment I'd have the slatted front built as wide gates and load from the front. Mine would accommodate two large rounds this way. Instead, we wound up angling a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood and framing to form a V on the inside. About 40 square bales were stacked in there and we just drop the flakes into the V and it drops down as the horses eat and they can get most of it. My horses would destroy a Hay Hut and I see it takes only a small round, not thebigger ones. I wonder how many kicks it would take in -30 temps.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:32 PM  
Kid Safe

I was wondering about the durability. It only has a 1 year guarantee which scares me...

I was thinking of making leantos just big enough for the roundbale with the opening on the side the wind doesn't blow. I was thinking of making it tall enough for the horse to get in without hitting his head, but not big enough for the horse to fit in with the round bale, if you know what I mean. Each of my horses are seperated so no fights in a small space.

hmmm... Probably cheaper than those hay huts neways.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:31 PM  
Coming two

I use a tent stall to keep my hay in. It is like a small stall with a slanted tarp roof and the tarp goes around 2 sides. The roof tarp is about 5 years old now and needing to be replaced but it has worked really well. The horses can eat through the 2 sides that do not have the tarp on them. It has 2 boards about chest height to keep the horses from trying to walk into the stall. The door is simply a PVC pole that is latched in place. I had used a wood pole for the door but my one mare kept rubbing her mane off on it during the summer so I switched to PVC.
horsecrazygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:23 PM  
Halter broke

I hadn't seen those. I just have sheds we roll the round bales under, they don't waste much. At least hay stays dry.
sandy
walknsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:27 PM  
Newborn Member

Hayhuts - by a very satisfied new customer in Texas

I thought you might like to view this link from a satisfied hayhuts customer in Texas -

http://www.gypsyhorsesintexas.com/V2/hay-hut-main.htm

I will be able to post a video soon showing 14 very large and very pregnant broodmares eating a 1700 lb roll from just one hayhut without any shoving, pushing or indeed any sign of aggression. The roll lasted three days and there was not enough waste outside to fill a grain scoop.

The Hayhut was not moved, tipped or otherwise abused by these big mares.

Sorry about the price tag but there is a lot of virgin polyethylene material in it to make it robust enough to be able to hit it full swing with a sledge hammer. Also there is a considerable amount of labor involved to carefully cut out the windows and the floor, and the center strip so they can be nested to minimise shipping costs.

Also do remember that they are UV stabilised and I strongly believe that they should last well over ten years which is a great deal longer than any metal feeder I have ever owned. And they are hugely 'horse safe'
Hayhutsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:33 PM  
Started

looks like a great idea, the only thing I would be worried about is how sharp the sides of the cut holes are.....like where the horses stick there heads in.

Also I would wonder if my horse would put his head in when most of the bale is eaten....

but still a good idea
Old 04-29-2010, 12:12 AM  
Started

I wonder about the head issue too, especially if a horse has his head inside and can't see another more dominant horse coming to move him out of there. I guess being plastic it won't really HURT if they bonk their head on it, but do wonder about sharpness. At the very least I could see that mane rubbing could happen if they're stretching far in to get hay. I do like the idea of keeping it dry, but I've had the "right" number of horses that finish a bale in about a week, so didn't have spoil issues.
sfl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:20 AM  
Newborn Member

All eight windows have specially rounded edges to ensure that there is no mane breakage and if if you looked at the photos / videos on our website ( www.palominowarmbloods.com ) you will see our 17+ hh palomino warmblood dressage and driving horses with beautiful manes that have been using hayhuts fo over one year now. My wife would kill me if her horses got broken manes from my Hayhuts!
Old 04-29-2010, 07:31 AM  
Newborn Member

With over 3500 hay feeders sold there are simply no reports of horses being afraid to put their heads inside (they normally do it immediately and happily) and because there are eight windows they have excellent all round visibility for the alpha mare. And actually, the Alpha mare syndrome disappears very quickly when they realise it is a waste of time trying to dominate at a hayhutFinally you should rememvber also that horses are stretching downwards to reach th remaining hay in the middle of the hut.

Incidentally, for over a year I have reserved a page on my wesite for feeders that people have made themselves where they can proudly display them and show the associated material and labor costs and timescale. I am still waiting to receive some completed projects.

Last edited by Hayhutsman : 04-29-2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:36 AM  
Bombproof Member

My horses would destroy it. I'm also incorporating slow hay feeders in the barn when the bugs come out and the horses want to stay in. Google slow hay feeders as there are plenty of good ideas there for reducing waste without spending a fortune.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:49 PM  
Kid Safe

My problem is... you say they should last 10 years, but your guarantee is only 1 year (so, what does that say about how long they REALLY last ), I can't be buying a new one every year!

My horses are kept separate so it would be very cost-inefficient If I bought one for each paddock and then had to buy a new one every year. I would save no money by feeding a roundbale. Might as well be feeding bales and bales of alfalfa to each horse every day for the cost of these. I think it's just easier (and cheaper) to throw flakes out daily.

RIP Justin
You stole my heart and for that, I am grateful.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:34 PM  
Halter broke

I have seen those spammed around kijiji... I don't see how any plastic in the elements could last 10 yrs... have you ever seen a little tykes kids toy left out for a summer... imagine 10yrs later?
angel0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:44 PM  
Coming two

There was a lady at my barn that use to have one of these. She had many horses of different sizes. I noticed that the big horses had problems getting their heads in the holes without nicking it. Also the little horses had problems once the hay got too low they couldn't reach it. I didn't like it. It was heavy and akward and frankly a pain in the butt!
"Listen to the mustn't, child, listen to the don'ts, listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts, listen to the never haves, then listen close to me - anything can happen, child. Anything can be."- Shel Silverstein
jclark343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:09 PM  
Newborn Member

I just bought one and have had great results. I love it that I am not wasting hay and since we have to provide 100% hay we are not tied to a schedule. We tried all kinds of round bale feeders and got tired of the waste and the hay would get ruined by rain or they would use it for bedding!
EquiSpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:34 AM  
Newborn Member

The feeder windows have carefully rounded edges and I have not heard of any one of the many hundreds of horses using them that wouldn't reach in to get the hay from the middle.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice