Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2009, 10:54 AM  
Halter broke

portable step stools

my fiance just called me to let me know my horse is in the trainler and they are on there way home. he also let me know that he is 17 hands tall. i was definatly not expecting that, but i love big horses. i was just woundering if there are any good step stools that can be taken along on rides in case i have to get off and cant get back on? that would kindof suck if i had to walk a few miles back home just cause hes to tall.lol
Old 11-15-2009, 06:02 PM  
Pasture Pet

Well if english just lengthen one of the stirups and if western they do sell stiruup buddy that is a stiruup that is in a bag and slips on the horn use that than roll up and put into bag. Jeffers , state line tack have them.
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:17 PM  
Long Yearling

I am sure you can buy them at dover saddlery, state line or even on Ebay

I dont use one, and my horse is also 17 hands tall. I just tought him to lay down on command and then ride him up from the ground, its very fun and I don't need to buy anything to get back on. Works where ever I go and its a heck of a show for others that are with you while you are on the trail or what not
horsegirl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:44 PM  
Halter broke

i would love to teach him that...how did you teach yours to lay down?
Old 11-15-2009, 08:13 PM  
Started

Grr, I can't find the catalog again, but there's one that sells a little tri-pod step that folds up into a little bag which you can then hang off your saddle horn.

I'll try to check old threads here, someone mentioned it (and I've been meaning to buy one!) way back when.

"Oftentime, the notion of "Following one's heart" is used as an excuse to avoid doing what is best because it's to hard or to complicated." ~David Hopkins
shayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:13 AM  
Long Yearling

How tall are you? If you're not very short, with exercise and stretching you should be able to get in the saddle from the ground without any issues - practice practice practice.

While teaching the horse to lay down and get back up with you is a fun trick, I wouldn't want to do that on a regular basis. Horses aren't meant to get off the ground with something on their backs, I'd be concerned about the potential stress and/or damage that could be done to their backs and legs from repeatedly doing that.

Where do you trail ride? It's very rare that you can't find a rock, fence, or even a slight hill to help you get on. The Western stirrup extender should work well in the time being if you do ride Western.

Good luck, whatever you decide!
bubbleslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:13 AM  
Bombproof Member

Some time back I'd put the question of stools out to HTers and the concensus was was not to waste your money. The ground had to be level, the horse had to be perfectly aligned, that it was bulky in it's bag and didn't hang well off a saddle.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:18 AM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleslove View Post
How tall are you? If you're not very short, with exercise and stretching you should be able to get in the saddle from the ground without any issues - practice practice practice.
And even if you are short and flexible you should be able to mount. I am 5'2" currently ride a 16.1hh horse and used to ride a 17.2hh horse. I have never used any aides though now at 53 I do find it easier to put him on the downhill side of me But even if I am on all flat I can still get my knee to my chin to get on my big boy!

Also will make a difference if he has a high wither or not. I had a 17.2hh Saddlebred with a wither that was a pretty easy mount as his back was not so high... I had a 17.2hh QH that was not so high and it was more of a challenge. Though I was much younger than so not hard.
WickedNag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:22 PM  
Yearling Member

Don't want to steal this thread

but I've wondered if there wasn't some way to rig up a saddle to something besides my horse so I could practice getting on without a stool.

Any ideas?
green.willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:34 PM  
Long Yearling

You don't necessarily need a saddle. Find a high step up somewhere, like the side of a porch or something, and practice stepping up to it over and over. It will translate to mounting Doing lunges might help too.
bubbleslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:05 PM  
Newborn Member

Here is a link to a portable tri pod step, I too have a 17 hand horse and am looking into getting one in case there is no tree stump or picnic table around.
Hope it helps.
Lisa
http://www.nationalbridle.com/product-p/1-6512.htm
tails416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:23 PM  
Long Yearling

I own one and use it to get on my horse bareback - I can barely make it and he's 14.2 - but I am jumping on him and scrambling on with no saddle. It is not very stable so you have to pay attention - but it does work. If you are only trying to reach a stirrup I bet it would work even better. I would definately desensitize my horse to it first - show it to him, put it on the ground next to him, and then intentionally fall off of it - because I guarantee it will happen for real. All in all I do like it - just make sure when you extend the legs that you are placing it so that it is stable on flat ground.

Visit us at www.goldencrossranch.com
Bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:48 PM  
Started

I would get a stirrup buddy as well...or something to help you on...you can teach them to lay down for you to mount...but it sure is hard on thier joints.Espiecally with his old injury to his leg I would def suggest getting something to help you on
Old 11-17-2009, 08:52 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via AIM to mingiz
If your out on a trail ride just use nature's bounty. I use logs, rocks, ditches or any lower area my horse will stand in. I have taught my horses to park up to things so I can get on like the fence, stock tank,trailer bumper etc. .. Not that I can't get on from the ground but it comes in handy on those lazier days.....
mingiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:01 AM  
Seasoned

I think teaching your horse to lay down or kneel so you can get on is a practical idea. True, their joints are not built to do this repetitiously, but we're not taking about all the time, just on the odd time you cannot reach the stirrup on a trail. It would certainly come in handy if your leg were injured in such a way that you could not mount at all, even with a fence or a rock handy.

Teaching your horse to sidle up to a fence or rock is a very handy tool to have as well. We just never know what situation we may be in so it's best to be prepared!

I haven't used the portable step stools, so I'm no help there.
Red Gate Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:55 PM  
Weanling Member

I am short legged and my stirup is high . so i looked into the stirrup buddy that hooked on the horn and the one on the stirup and the reviews on them said they don't work that well. They tried them and didnt use them any more. So i didnt want to waste my money and didnt try them. I have a folded step stool i use when i start. And if i have to dismount i find a tree or picnic table or a ditch. If i cant find anything, I try to give myself a hernia !! lol
I am sure looking forward to lots of pics of your new horse !!!!!!!
rivherrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:57 AM  
Seasoned

I am short and the stirrups are high and I have hip impingement syndrome which means it is physically impossible for me to get my leg high enough to get my foot into the stirrup. If on a trail ride, I use slopes, logs, rocks, etc. if I have to back on.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice