Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2009, 08:30 PM  
Weanling Member

How Much Wood Shaving?

How much wood shaving do you guys generally use per stall per day? I have a feeing we're using way too much.Our horse has an oversized stall, 12x17 ft. I'm beginning to be of the opinion that we only neeed to put shavings on half of that.

Thanks!

Laura
Island Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:58 PM  
Started

I think alot depends on what the flooring is,are they feeding off the ground,what are you measuring your shavings by,wheelbarrow,shaving bales etc. Also are you rebedding stall completely each time or adding to after cleaning?
I know my stalls aren't that big & to start off bedding a cleaned out stall it takes at least 3 BIG wheelbarrow{rubbermaid type} I need to replace 1-2 barrowfulls a day after cleaning out soiled stuff.
I am bedding dirt floors so don't need as much as if it was concrete or wood.{Which should also have extra padding of rubber mats}
My horses tend to dump there hay out of feeders & spred it so I gave up & feed on ground now they tend to spred it around a bit in that corner so I do not bed the feeding area.Your stall being so big I think you don't need to do the whole thing but bed the areas they utilize the most.I Have found They WILL lie in the bedded areas provided before they will try lie down where there isn't any.
Hope that helps
paintedpastures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:53 AM  
Pasture Pet

I bed my stalls where there is a 4" thick layer of shavings on top of the mats. When I clean the stalls every day, I just take out the dirty stuff, and then about every 3 or 4 days I add another wheelbarrow of shavings.

I would bed the whole stall if it were me, and then she will pick an area to use as her bathroom most likely, and you won't need to take all of the clean shavings out every week, just pick the dirty stuff and add a little more shavings each week as needed.
Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:56 PM  
Pasture Pet

We have stall matresses, so the horses get between 1/3 and 1/6 of a bag of shavings in their stall to absorb urine and that is it.

At show, they get about 2 bags of shavings for a 10 by 10 dirt stall, and more if the floor is cement.

be careful not to over do it; you want some firmness to the footing. Too deep of bedding is hard on tendons and on their back.

karen
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:05 PM  

I have 5" of saw dust in our stalls.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:28 PM  
Weanling Member

Wow, a 4 to 5 " layer? Nope, our horse definitely isn't getting too muh then! Holy cow! Ours gets mainly 3 inches.

Unfortunately, I can't do much spot cleaning. Our horse likes to spend the night spreading her droppings everywhere and rolling till there's barely a clean square inch. Sigh. I guess I'll juat resign myself to expensive stall cleaning.

Our floor is cement with thick rubber mats.
Island Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:32 PM  
Newborn Member

i personally dont cover the whole stall in shavings ! especially if they are eating hay off the floor. i sweep it over to one half of the stall. that half has about an inch or 2 of shavings, then i make a pile in the middle of the stall [idk decent size, if you bed the stall how you want it to be, but just on one side then pull the shavings into the middle with just a bit left on the outsides] so when the horse walks around they push the shavings outward, but they also get to eat all of their hay on the floor mats. i would not recomend doing this on concrete though !

i hope that made some sense at least...
gypsygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice