Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2009, 12:12 PM  
Newborn Member

Florida horse retirement

I am thinking about placing my horse in a retirement home, but am having great difficulty with the decision. Does anyone out there have experience with or know about Florida horse retirement homes? I want to know he is receiving the same level of care I would provide and not just stuck in a pasture to fend for himself.
Taliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:41 PM  
Long Yearling

I do know there is one in South Dakota that recently opened up. http://www.helpinghands-rehab.com/HorseRetirement.html
I don't know of anyone using it yet. I think it sounds like a good plan. I will be watching to see what you find out.
WickedNag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:47 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I would not expect your horse would get as good of care anywhere else that you would give. No one does the job you would do for your horse.

I haven't heard of retirement homes for horses so will be interested to see what you find.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:06 PM  
Coming two

Horse Retirement Home of Marion County

I've heard good things about the Horse Retirement Home of Marion County in Ocala, Fl. (horseretirementhome.com) Beautiful facilities, large turn out areas and being in Ocala there are equine medical facilities available. Last time I checked they had a mule in her 40's . Like any good facility it is not cheap.

Last edited by dunamovin : 10-12-2009 at 02:08 PM.
dunamovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:17 PM  
Started

I sometimes think I'm running one!

My Appaloosa lived to be 25, my TWH is 28, my daughter-in-law's mare is in her twenties, and even our "teenager", the QH gelding, is a "retired" cutting horse!

If it weren't for our 3 year old App filly, it would be a retirement home!

I've taken on a couple of horses over the years to keep for the rest of their lives. One, a 19 year old TWH, died within six months from kidney failure. The 23 year old App we had to put down after a freak accident (he was hit by a falling tree).

I've never charged a fee, just asked the owner to pay for vet and farrier bills, and to help out a little with the feed bill.

If you are interested, PM me.

Blessings from the Bear!
theoldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:23 PM  
Pasture Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse poor View Post
I would not expect your horse would get as good of care anywhere else that you would give. No one does the job you would do for your horse.

I haven't heard of retirement homes for horses so will be interested to see what you find.

I have a retirement home f,or horses look at my signature web,
and We do give retirement horses the care that they deserve after serving their owners loyally all their lives. they are not just turned out to pasture and forgotten. they are cared or and groomed and loved and fed just as if they were mine.

to the op, look around and hopefully you will find a good one within your area. edited to add,
Bears offer sounds good to me.

Last edited by horselady : 10-12-2009 at 02:25 PM.
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:51 PM  
Newborn Member

Dunmovin that is the farm I was looking at on line. I was hoping to find someone that has been there to see it. They sound like what I am looking for. Horselady I wish you weren't so far away! My only reservation is that Ocala is five hours away and I can't readily visit to make sure my "old man" is happy. Bear you are closer and I would be interested in visiting you. I'm not totally sure of this yet, just putting my feelers out.......
Taliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:51 PM  
Bombproof Member

Taliman is a VERY close friend of mine. She wants to find a nice retirement home for HER "best friend" to live out his years. She is giving back to him , what he has given her for many, many years

OldBear.....Sounds good, I know you and Taliman have already talked.

She is in no rush to place him, just wants to make sure it is best suited
for "Tali" and he is happy.

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:25 AM  
Long Yearling

I'm glad you brought up this thread! I know I have years and years to go, but since both of mine are teenagers, it's crossed my mind. Good luck Taliman!
bubbleslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:19 PM  
Newborn Member

Retirement for 2 loved QH's

Old Bear, I live in Miami and have been searching for a good pasture type retirement for my 2 healthy oldie goldies. I have had Jodi for 21 years - she is now 25, and Slick was hubby's horse for the last 15 years - he is now 20. Both are so healthy that we joke they they will probably outlive us!

Jodi has been in many fashion shots (I supply animals for filmwork in South Florida.. www.trademarkanimaltalent.com .. and I think she would make a wonderful mount for a little girl or timid rider as she is so laid back with a little jog trot that is very smooth and slow. BUT these days, those kind of homes are hard to find. Slick has also been in front of the camera in his day. Neither are spooky and both friendly to a fault. Both are barefoot and that has been good for them, after all those years of nailed on shoes! But Slick has been lame on and off with arthritis in a front shoulder and lately it is more on than off. So Slick has been a pasture ornament now since 2007, and hubby has missed riding very much.

http://trademarkanimaltalent.com/horse1.jpg

http://trademarkanimaltalent.com/toyota.jpg

http://trademarkanimaltalent.com/horses7.jpg

http://trademarkanimaltalent.com/action21.jpg

http://trademarkanimaltalent.com/slick.jpg

I will be glad to pay a reasonable monthly board and vet and farrier bills to have these horses happy on grass with someone keeping an eye out for their welfare. Both are easy keepers and love each other, so they will not miss us at all, lol.

If there is any possibility that you have room for them in your pasture (we have 3 acres for the horses to roam at our house, but good grass does not exist down here in Miami and tho I feed VERY little grain, hay costs a fortune down here!) I would love to see if something could be worked out. I have my little van camper that I pull my 3 horse stock around with (camping with our horses was our most favorite thing to do tho finding time is always difficult) and if I can retire these two I would have a little extra hay money and the room for hubby to look for another trail buddy.

Thanks so much.. hope you get to see this post.
shadyladymiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:32 PM  
Newborn Member

Re

Most of the peoples after retirement spend their time either with their grand children or with their pets.
As When people get old, they are sent to either nursing homes or retirement homes for professional care and comfort.
nursing home compare
SandraParkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:25 AM  
Yearling Member

thats what i feel my barn is. a retirement place. Kolt is 21, Dream is 20-21, Ace is 20+, Moon is 24+, Zar is 20+, Timmy is 20.

We dont have one here under 5. Magic is 10, Gaylaah is 12, Red is 10, Rowan is 8.

I dont mind. As long as they can pay their bill. We had a horse who was boarded here and we didnt see her owner for 2 years! Dreams' own lives over an hour away and in constant medical care.

good luck in what you do, and hope you find what you need.

gaylaah kaizar magic
Reyvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice