Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2009, 07:42 AM  
Halter broke

Stall mats

Does anyone have advice on where to purchase stall mats at a reasonable rate? I can't spend a fortune right now but our barn will be done end of october. Also, what do you like to use for the flooring on the stall prior to placing the mats?
skippersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:53 AM  
Bombproof Member

If you build your floor with planking you really don't need stall mats. But you will need to add plenty of bedding. My preference is wheat straw but many prefer shavings. Whatever your choice, keep in mind it's to encourage your horse to urinate while stalled.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:25 AM  
Newborn Member

floor foundation

I used stone dust. Put down the stone dust wet it and then use a wacker to compact it. Then put your matts in. I did it in my barn 4 years ago and it works great. It's like a cement floor. And the material drains very good
horse9047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:26 AM  
Kid Safe

I got mine at TSC, the interlocking stall kits. But they aren't cheap. I see ads on CL sometimes for used mats, so you may want to look there. I reccomend the interlocking no matter which way you go, because if the mats don't fit the stall dimensions perfectly they will shift and it's hard to pick in between mats.

It would be great if you could put gravel underneath, and level it before you put the mats for better drainage. However, we have dirt under ours (more like clay) that was leveled for the barn (not perfectly level) with the interlocking mats on top we are just now (3 years later) starting to have a problem from them urinating in the same spot. However, The one bad spot i just peeled up the mats, got rid of the nasty clay, and filled the hole with sand. It is like perfect now lol.

I would like to put down river rock, level it, and then place the mats back on top. I figure the river rock will be great for drainage since it doesn't pack tightly. but idk, haven't tried it yet lol.

If you plan to get an economy sized manure spreader like the Newer Spreader you are going to have to go with shavings or pelleted bedding, straw won't go through the spreader. Oh, and I know where you can get a truck load of shavings for $30. =).
Sirita_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:21 AM  
Started

I purchased mine from TSC when they were $20 off per mat! Doesn't seem like a lot but the savings add up quite quickly. They seem to be on sale every month up here & so that would be the cheapest place I could suggest. Mine are on concrete..which is the reason why I nedded them in the first place.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice