Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2009, 01:45 PM  
Coming two

what to pay for horse care while on vacation

Finally going on vacation and have enlisted my 13 year old horse crazy neighbor to feed. She will be feeding grain only to 5 pastured horses 1x a day, feeding 4 dogs, 1x a day and watering some outside plants for 3 days. she can walk to the barn from her house. she's a very responsible sweet kid who is dying to ride and be around the horses. I asked her if she wanted to help me with the horses this summer to. She would be doing things like bathing, tacking and untacking (after I teach her how) and playing with my infant daughter while I ride. Any ideas on how much to pay her for that too? I will try to let her ride some as well though right now I only have greenies. I will borrow one of my mom's dead broke walking horses later this summer and take her trail riding but I want her to earn a little money to put away for college or a horse of her own but am just not sure how much to pay.
lbequ4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:05 PM  
Bombproof Member

I hope you have it set up so she doesn't have to go in the pasture to feed grain. Your horses may be fine with you but she doesn't know them as you do. If your horses are loafing in your absence they don't need grain.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:54 PM  
Coming two

yes she can slide it under the fence. i have a stud but it's the mares i'd worry about.
lbequ4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:51 PM  
Seasoned

Twenty five years ago when I was a teen, I was paid $80 a week for feeding, cleaning and riding one horse....not sure if that helps you....lol.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:53 AM  
Kid Safe

We pay $33 a day. Thats to be sure everybody has water (5 paddocks), feed/water 6 dogs, feed/water chickens, feed/water 8 rabbits and give 2 buckets of grain to goats. 2 horses are grained the other 4 are not and all the pastures are given hay before we leave as well as tanks topped off so watering is just every other day.

I also pay a young man $10 + provide feed for him to milk 2-3 of my does while Iam gone.

Karen
Karen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:34 AM  
Coming two

Send a message via AIM to Jess6092
We pay $150/day, but that is 2 feedings (just hay) for 3 horses, feed twice a day for 4 dogs, and let the dogs out a couple times a day. Sometimes they stay at the house, sometimes not.

I'd pay probably $10/ hour for watching your baby while you ride.

It is really great of you to help this girl get her horse fix! Lots of people won't give the younger kids a chance. No matter how mature they are.
Jess6092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:43 AM  
Pasture Pet

I am sure you thought of this already, have her come and feed with you for a few days before you leave so the horses will know her and the routine.

and please make sure she has list of phone numbers of who to call in case of an emergency, and let the horse vet and dog vet know you are going away and who is in charge of the animals. Her parents names and number
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:49 AM  
Yearling Member

I can't believe everone pays so much to have their animals fed. I have been feeding the neighbors horses for years every time they go out of town. I have never even thought to ask to be paid. And actually they are not even my neighbors anymore. I have to drive 20 minutes over there! I am in the wrong business!

You can't always sit on the fence while the world passes by, sometimes you just gotta ride. Chris Ladoux
RebaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:09 AM  
Halter broke

I usually charge $35 a day to go and feed clean stalls and water twice aday for one of my friends, the other friend brings her gelding over to my place. She says " Cody's going to the spa."
missyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:18 PM  
Weanling Member

We just got back from the weekend, paid a 14 year old $5.00 a day to check on the barn cats, feed them, and fill the horse's water (flipping a switch), the check on all 4 of them to make sure they are ok. Not a lot, but it wasn't much work.
sarahv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:38 PM  
Seasoned

I've helped friends out when they were out of town for a weekend or a few more days and not asked for payment. I have also had one friend bring her mare to my place, as a friend and for no pay. Sometimes it works to do that, sometimes people don't have anyone they are close to ask a favor. Or, feel uncomfortable w/ asking for favors. I've not had a vacation for 3 yrs so have not had to worry about it since we moved. In the far far past, when we were out of town, and we lived on the old farm, I had my father in law keep an eye on the animals..all he had to do was check the water, then when he went out of town, we took care of his steers. That worked ok.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:02 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
I used to get paid $25 a feeding to grain/hay 2-4 horses, pick and rebed stalls, feed and let out dogs, feed cats, clean litter box and pick up the mail. It was my choice if I wanted to stay there or commute. I almost always choose to stay there so I didn't have to get up as early in the morning. Plus I saved on gas too.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:57 AM  
Seasoned

We have a professional horse sitter come in. She comes twice/day to feed/check on the horses and pick out two run-in stalls, takes care of our house cats (cleans cat boxes once/day and medicates one cat), our outside cats (put out food/water), and our poultry (feed and water plus pick up eggs). She picks up our mail and waters our plants. She charges us $30/day.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice