Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2009, 09:31 AM  
Halter broke

How do you get them to stop eating Wood Fencing?

Anybody have any clues. So far have tried No Chew from Blue Seal. Not sure what to do next! Used to have electric tape on top, so didn't really go near it. Key word here is used to! Because of all the ice we have had this winter-we lost all kinds of trees and branches which literally took down the fence-which come spring time needs major repairs! The tape then became the big play toy! Took it completely down, now the chewing has started. Jolly balls just aren't any fun, when you can chew on the beautiful wood fence that got put up just to eat! Any help would be appreciated! Thought about making a potion of cheyenne (sp) and water and spraying it on-don't know how that would work though!

"THERE IS NO KEY TO HAPPINESS, THE DOOR IS ALWAYS OPEN"
chris6351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:33 AM  
Seasoned

Send a message via Yahoo to Diamond_Y
Chris, you might get more suggestions if you posted this in the General Advice section rather than the regional area. If you would like it moved, let me know and I'll move it for you.
Diamond_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:16 AM  
Halter broke

Yes, please.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:21 AM  
Seasoned

Send a message via Yahoo to Diamond_Y
Happy to help.
Diamond_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:45 AM  
Coming two

Classy does the same thing, only in her stall. She has chewed a huge chunk out of her stall and she reaches out and has chewed a huge chunk out of our hay chute. I have used Rap Last.. it is basically ceyenne pepper and water so it may work and would be cheaper to make the mixture you suggested. I would try it!

*~ TVR'S Classified Elegance *~
*~ TVR'S Classical Charm *~
*~ TVR'S Picassiette *~
Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:47 AM  
Weanling Member

Send a message via AIM to Wolfesden
We put rain maker (the hoof moisturizer pastey stuff) on the stall door back in florida for our avid cribber... did the trick after nothing else did...
however, it will darken/stain your wood, so i would try it on a not very noticeable area at first...
Old 01-30-2009, 11:48 AM  
Long Yearling

I know a lot of people that have coated the top of their wooden fencing with motor oil. Seems to work. Not sure what effect, if any, that would have on a horse if it took a big bite out of a oil covered fence.
Korven Kuningas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:52 AM  
Halter broke

OMG-someone told me about the motor oil-I really assumed they were pulling my leg!

Old 01-30-2009, 11:55 AM  
Halter broke

The rainmaker -can it be painted on, or how do you apply it?

Old 01-30-2009, 11:58 AM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6351 View Post
OMG-someone told me about the motor oil-I really assumed they were pulling my leg!
It's a pretty cheap method, save the oil after you do an oil change in your vehicle. Coat the fence with it and see if it works, only trouble is it makes the wood a little dark, but if it keeps them from gobbling down your fencing, it's worth it. I don't know how often you have to coat the fence though, just as long as the oil does it's job.
Korven Kuningas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:13 PM  
Yearling Member

Is the horse cribbing or chewing...I would stay away from motor oil and a horse. I have a cribber and have great success with a cribbing collar.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:17 PM  
Halter broke

Chewing!

Old 01-30-2009, 12:22 PM  
Weanling Member

At the barn where I sent Charlie for training they also used motor oil, I think they re-applied it once a month or so and it seemed to do the trick. They also put a small width of aluminium all along some of the wood fencing in the back fields which helped alot (probably so they didn't have to go all the way to the back and put the oil along the fence ).

-Alicia

Love you so much, you will be dearly missed my "LITTLE MAN"
Charlies'_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:36 PM  
Started

Send a message via Yahoo to Druydess
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6351 View Post
Anybody have any clues. So far have tried No Chew from Blue Seal. Not sure what to do next! Used to have electric tape on top, so didn't really go near it. Key word here is used to! Because of all the ice we have had this winter-we lost all kinds of trees and branches which literally took down the fence-which come spring time needs major repairs! The tape then became the big play toy! Took it completely down, now the chewing has started. Jolly balls just aren't any fun, when you can chew on the beautiful wood fence that got put up just to eat! Any help would be appreciated! Thought about making a potion of cheyenne (sp) and water and spraying it on-don't know how that would work though!
Cheapest and most effective fix:
Ivory soap.
One of my Arabs who was stalled before I got her is a major chewer. Rubbed Ivory soap (bar type) over the wood, and she won't touch it. Tastes VERY nasty...
Druydess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:40 PM  
Halter broke

How long does the Ivory last? I have some old Irish Spring lurking around-I may give that a try!

Old 01-31-2009, 10:58 AM  
Weanling Member

...Used Motor oil...DOES work...haven't ever heard of anyone having any problems with using it. You DO have to re-apply the oil every so often, as sometimes it will fade a bit. If you have a herd...you will DEFINATELY be able to tell WHO is chewing...lol they will have a black mouth for a bit, but it does wear off. The used oil method DOES work

OR, put a metal strip on the top of the board that goes down the side about an inch.... this method does work as well, unless you have a horse that is just bored and would like to try and pull the metal off the wood. lol

IF that doesn't work.... hotline...does have a good effect...IF you don't have it shorting out somewhere. Also IF you purchase insulators that keep your horse off the INSIDE of the fence...about 6 inches...or even make some about 1 foot, the horses will stay OFF the fence completely.

I know all these methods have worked, seen them being used...just its personal preference on what you are comfortable using for your horse.

Last edited by akasha : 01-31-2009 at 11:09 AM.
akasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:03 AM  
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druydess View Post
Cheapest and most effective fix:
Ivory soap.
One of my Arabs who was stalled before I got her is a major chewer. Rubbed Ivory soap (bar type) over the wood, and she won't touch it. Tastes VERY nasty...
Sounds effective! And yes, after having my mouth washed out with soap as a kid for swearing, I can attest to it's awful taste!

I wonder if that would help with cribbing too?
Sonseeahray's_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:27 PM  
Weanling Member

We use used motor oil. Tbest stuff I have found. I have never had any negitive affects from it.
morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:55 PM  
Halter broke

it has serious negative effects for the environment.. when the wood gets wet, the water running off it takes the oil with it which takes the oil into the ground, and eventually into the water shed. Please dont put used motor oil on your fences, it is as good as pouring it out on the ground.
cowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:48 PM  
Bombproof Member

Horses frequently enjoy freshly cut poplar. The bark also contains very small amounts of salicylate (aspirin) which is beneficail. They'll chew the bark off like beavers and if they're chewing the bark, hopefully they'll leave the fences alone.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice