Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2009, 12:35 PM  
Weanling Member

Unhappy Can You Get Lice From Horses?

please say no...
MyhorseBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:42 PM  
Coming two

You can get bitten by horse lice, but you won't be a host for horse lice.

Feel better?
Old 01-07-2009, 12:45 PM  
Weanling Member

so they wont live on me right? and yes if you say no again.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:52 PM  
Coming two

Right. They won't live on you. Lice are pretty species specific creatures. Horse lice live on horses, people lice live on people, cow lice on cows. I believe the only multi-host lice can live on horses or poultry.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:54 PM  
Started

Hope this helps ease your mind
Parasites

Ringworm is a caused by fungi and is very contagious. It is possible to get ringworm if you’ve handled a horse (or other pet) with the condition. Ringworm appears as round red patches that are scruffy and itchy.

Mange is a skin condition caused by small mites that borrow under the skin. Horses can get two types of mange; one that burrows into the skin and one that lives on the surface. The mites can bite humans, causing an itchy weal. Lice are sometimes seen in poorly kept crowded conditions. Humans are not hosts for the lice that affect horses although you could get bitten. If you suspect your horse has mange or lice, call your veterinarian for recommendations. With all parasite and skin conditions be scrupulous about your own hygiene and ask your vet about precautions you can take to prevent human transfer. Wash your hands after grooming, hoof-picking, or mucking out.

Taken from....
http://horses.about.com/od/basiccare/a/zoonoses.htm
Old 01-07-2009, 03:05 PM  
Greenbroke Member

My filly had lice in her ears. She spent a couple months at the trainer and was labeled as head shy. She was only ever exposed to one other horse and that horse is fine. She endured training for months before being diagnosed and vala, not head shy anymore.

Pink Tiger says 'Grrrrrr'
joustinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:36 PM  
Weanling Member

how did you cure the lice in her ear?
Old 01-07-2009, 06:50 PM  
Greenbroke Member

My vet had me use quest gel once and repeat in 30 days. And he gave me a liquid gel that was specific for treating lice and other critters, I had to rub it on the insides of her ears. It was chore the first few times until she was not so uncomfortable.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:13 AM  
Seasoned

Can you "get" lice from horses? Yes, you can. My sister gave a very lousy horse a bath one time and ended up with lots of lice in her hair. But they can't live on your head once they are there. We ended up picking them all out of her hair (but they were still alive on her head two days later -- I think that is about the max lifetime of a louse without a blood meal from its host).

JGirl, when you say the vet had you use Quest gel, do you mean internally for the horse? And then repeated in 30 days?
Old 01-08-2009, 06:30 AM  
Long Yearling

This is making my head itch
carmor07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:46 AM  
Kid Safe

It has to do with temperature. We are cooler than horses, body temperature wise, thus we have our very own species of lice that likes us.

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:57 AM  
Weanling Member

but they arent going to live on me right? because i really dont want to pack all my stuff in bags again and go back to tharapy(spell)
Old 01-08-2009, 08:44 AM  
Coming two

They will not live on you. Horse lice have about a 48-72 hour "shelf life" without the proper host. No need for therapy, though I know how you feel. My mother is a teacher and she used to bring home head lice to us a lot! You gotta clean the whole **** house, nasty shampoo...lice are just ucky all around. Horse lice and people lice
Old 01-08-2009, 08:56 AM  
Halter broke

No, horse lice will not live on you.
Also, horse lice can come from more than just less than ideal living conditions. They can come from contact with other horses, grooming tools, blankets, saddle pads. The whole boarding barn we used to keep our horses at got infested after a boarder bought a used blanket at an auction. They sure like to spread.
crookedpineqhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:10 AM  
Weanling Member

no one else acts itchy and i don't share anything. but he is in with some chickens.. but so wasn't my other pony and he isn't itchy at all. so thats why i don't think it is lice. i just don't want them....
Old 01-08-2009, 09:55 AM  
Halter broke

It you want to check for lice, take a cloth and rub him very well over the itchy areas. You will get some come off onto the cloth. Also, if you separate his hair and look down to the skin, you should be able to see them. Horse lice are pretty big. You'll be able to see them.
If you want to be really sure, go get some lice powder from your vet or horse supply store and treat for them.
crookedpineqhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:30 AM  
Weanling Member

yeah i did look down on the skin and saw nothing. but i will do the cloth.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:53 PM  
Greenbroke Member

The vet did not see lice on my horse until he got the samples back to the clinic. I don't know why he did not see the adults. But, it was in the ear and she was not happy about it.

Yes, the Quest gel was just a normal deworming and the other liquid was topically.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:06 AM  
Newborn Member

My daughter just found lice on her horse yesterday, the chewing kind. She had moved her to another boarding barn 2 weeks ago and the old place housed chickens right next to the horses. Apparently chicken lice can transfer to horses if housed in close proximity. If your horse got the lice from the chickens you'll not get rid of them until you deal with the living arrangements. It's better to move the horse because if you just move the chickens you'll have to treat the whole living environment as well.
ladygranmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:26 AM  
Newborn Member

i thnk no, as one of the posters here said. that head lice are specific to their hosts. if you want head lice. you should be human, if you want horse lice. then you should be a horse. its not that hard it.
daviddvdsn505 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice