Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Frugal Living and Money Saving Ideas
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2010, 08:53 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Uses for empty feed sacks?

Hey guys! I am over run with feed sacks and just wondering if anyone has any great ideas of what to do with them? I use some for trash bags around the barn but I have more coming in than I have going out! I think I saw someone on here a while ago making purses or hand bags out of them, which is neat but I'm not sure how it is done.

Anyway, the sacks I have look like they are a woven plastic (?) "material". So my ingenious HT family....what do you do with your empty feed sacks?
Mister's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:59 PM  
Kid Safe

all my feed bags are heavy paper bags, so I am of no help....but garbage bags are soo helpful
gingerfleguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:32 PM  
Bombproof Member

I have a grommet setter so was thinking for setting half a dozen in a plastic grain bag randomly, adding a couple of pounds of pellets, securing the neck and throwing it out in to the snow. As the horses paw at it or toss it around pellets will drop out. (at least in theory). My grommets are the same size as those in plastic tarps.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:46 AM  
Coming two

We use ours to put manure in for people to take home for thier flower beds, gardens, ect. Still end up with more bags than would ever need but at least some are going out.
missa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:12 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Interesting idea slim - if you try it, please let us know how it works!

Missa - that's a good idea too.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:13 AM  
Bombproof Member

I'll let you know if the bag of pellets works, but it could be a while, pretty nasty winds here for the next 3 or 4 days along with the cold. We can use burning barrels for paper so I've given a number of them to anyone I can for carrying the paper out to the barrel. I also keep a dozen or so incase I get a good deal on oats from a farmer who has no bags. Yes, I feed oats and no one has fallen over yet.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:33 PM  
Yearling Member

Feed bags are golden here!!lol We have to bring our old feed bags to get sawdust for the horses a dollar a bag. If you dont have your own bags you have to pay. I also use the for putting weight in the back of my truck so I dont slip everywhere.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:21 PM  
Weanling Member

Before we built our new barn, the old one had wide gaps between the boards. I flattened my empty feed sacks out and stapled them up, basically wallpapering the insideof the barn.

1 dog away from hoarderdom.
2manypets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:05 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manypets View Post
Before we built our new barn, the old one had wide gaps between the boards. I flattened my empty feed sacks out and stapled them up, basically wallpapering the insideof the barn.
Oooohhh, I really like this idea! I bet it would keep the drafts out pretty well....goes off to find my staple gun....
Old 01-13-2011, 11:36 AM  
Halter broke

I use them for helping to saddle train. Fill half way with damp sand, tie off with baling twine, (the hemp kind) and then tie the two together with light rope (like clothes line rope.) Lay over the saddle, and it rides pretty well. One hangs kinda on one side and the other hangs kinda on the other side. If it gets tossed off, no biggie! Puts about 75 pounds in the saddle and is just enough weight for them to "feel" it moving around up there!
P3 Paddocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:45 PM  
Seasoned

I use mine as recycling containers.. plastics, tin, etc. Since the recycle enter is a few miles away, we do not go often, so I store clean recyclables in the bags until I have a bunch full to make the trip worthwhile. Tie them shut, place in back of truck, take to recycling center, empty and bring back.
Those that I don't reuse for recycling purposes, I have used as garbage bags. Sometimes, I simply throw them out. Our recycling center does not want those type bags.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:03 PM  
Weanling Member

My feed bags are paper too so no help from me but my neighbors mother took her plastic woven feed bags and made re-usable grocery bags from them.

Not exactly sure how she did it but kind of cut them down, folded over the top for a hem and made handles out of the part she cut off. Really cute and useful.
Paminky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:45 AM  
Newborn Member

I use them to cover up my roses and other delicate plants for the winter - they are breathable and keep most of the snow out. Works well.

Cheryl
Old 01-18-2011, 04:13 PM  
Long Yearling

I have seen lots of ppl do the "cover the plants" thing for the winter.

We attach one to the back of the tractor and to the back of the bobcat, so if you come accross garbage you can put it somewhere rather than drive by it... and when we put out bales, its nice to have somewhere to put all the binder twine!!

I really like the idea of emptying your barns poop pail into these bags and then sending it home with ppl for thier gardens too!! Great way to get rid of bags AND poop!!

LittleJewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:59 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via AIM to mingiz
Everyone has great suggestions for them.

We use ours for fire wood for camping. Most of the time I recycle them.
mingiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:25 PM  
Weanling Member

I also have the plastic ones. They make great garabe bags for the barn as you've said.

I've also seen the grocery bags made out of them and also the plastic dog and cat food bags. I believe there is directions on the net for making them. Type in plastic feed sack bags? or something similiar.

I keep a few in the car. Good for dirty boots, tack, etc. Instant car mat for muddy feet!

Have bagged shavings in them before but never manure. Good idea on that as you could get more in there than a bucket.

Oh I heard that some parents let the kids use from the sleds. For older kids you might need to cut it down the sides to make it longer.

Cleaned out good they'd store horse blankets well. Not quite mouse proof but no bag is.

I also use them to store shredded paper from junk mail. In a pinch if I run out of sawdust I will use the paper for bedding. If not it can be recycled or put in the trash.

Also an instant waterproof saddle cover. Just cut down one side and the end. Might have to figure a way to attach it. Could work for keeping dirt and dust off tack in the barn as well.

Last edited by little_S : 01-19-2011 at 01:27 PM.
little_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:24 PM  
Weanling Member

I make totes out of them!
akyramoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:35 PM  
Halter broke

Send a message via Yahoo to ring6992
A barn buddy and I always fill ours up with manure and sell them as fertilizer on craigslist for $5 a bag! You'd be amazed at how much gardeners like the stuff!

ring6992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:04 PM  
Yearling Member

lady said she wanted them to use as weed guards for her flower beds cuz the hold up way better than the store bought rolls.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:06 PM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missa View Post
We use ours to put manure in for people to take home for thier flower beds, gardens, ect. Still end up with more bags than would ever need but at least some are going out.
Good idea!
Dreaming Luke is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Frugal Living and Money Saving Ideas