Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Regional Chat > Forum for MN/WI/IA/ND/SD/NE
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2008, 03:06 PM  
Started

UWRF colt sale

Every spring the UW River Falls has the colts used for their training classes auctioned off to help fund the program. Most of the colts are reining bred.

I don't like that many of the horses being auctioned are 2006's, so only 2 years this year! They get pushed too hard for being so young, IMO, as many don't have April-later birthdays, so some aren't even technically 2 yet... (that means they were ridden at 1 1/2, and that doesn't seem good

But a lot of well-trained colts come out of this sale. It's this saturday. Anyone going?

Here's the site http://www.uwrf.edu/coltsale/

If anyone is gonna go, I might try to go there, as it's really close to home

I'll never forget you, Clyde! 3/18/02-12/30/06.
You left me too soon, Peppy. It will never be the same without you 4/18/91 - 5/1/09.
BarrelGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:41 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
My neighbor bought two horses from their sale in the past. One turned out great but for one thing, he was 14hands as a two year old but grew to 16'2" by the time he was 4. So much for a short cow horse. The other horse had knee problems and was extremly green and snorty, not how he was shown during the preview/sale.

One of the 4-H girls we know is going to school there. I don't think she was involved with the training colts yet, it's only her freshman year.

I'll have to check out the catalog.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:38 AM  
Started

Hmm I'd go but I have surgery today and I don't know if I'd be up to it by then...Any idea what kind of prices they usually bring? Seems like it'll end up a group of ruined horses though, being worked so hard so early?

Perhaps we with EDS are like race horses - one of the old traditions was to 'handicap' the greatest horses so that they would not run away from the pack. They would pile on lead weights, whatever was needed to get up to the amount of weight the handicapper said they should carry. We're handicapped because otherwise the world could not keep up with us
Iwasbornonahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:20 AM  
Started

Well, if you decide to go, for sure let me know. It's only a couple minutes from me, so we could maybe meet up there if you are feeling better by then

I know a few have gone for pretty good money, like $5000+. But that was in previous years.

Last year I don't think they had quite the turnout, and prices weren't as good. The ones that go for good money are the ones that look to have a TON of promise in reining. Most of the bloodlines are reining, and the local reining barns (some of the same that donate the colts to the program) will buy up the ones they think will make it in the reining world. If you look at the sale catalog, you will see a lot of Hollywood Dun It, Doc o Lena, Doc Bar, Freckles Playboy, etc. They're very well bred, and many of the sires have show records in reining.

The ones that don't look like they're gonna cut it in reining go for less. And if it doesn't have color or flash, they go for even less.

I've never gone, I've just heard how they normally go. I'm thinking of going to see how well they sell with how bad the market is.

Yes, the idea of them getting worked so soon does worry me, also. What I would do if I bought one from there would be to give it time off, until they're a good 2 1/2, then do some light work, then let them sit until they're 3. I'm not looking for anything to buy, though, and mom will consider that young of a horse only if it seems level-headed, as she would put it to pasture until it was older, also.

You left me too soon, Peppy. It will never be the same without you 4/18/91 - 5/1/09.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:20 PM  
Started

Well I survived the surgery but my face is so swollen Saturday is still two days away though so we'll see how I'm doing!

Perhaps we with EDS are like race horses - one of the old traditions was to 'handicap' the greatest horses so that they would not run away from the pack. They would pile on lead weights, whatever was needed to get up to the amount of weight the handicapper said they should carry. We're handicapped because otherwise the world could not keep up with us
Iwasbornonahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:27 PM  
Started

I hope you get to feeling better! It seems as though it's gonna be rainy on Saturday, and in that case I'll for sure end up going... all the stuff I have to do at home requires nice weather. The UWRF facility has a big indoor arena with bleachers for viewing, so rain won't be a deterrent for the auction.

Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Regional Chat > Forum for MN/WI/IA/ND/SD/NE