Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Regional Chat > Forum for MN/WI/IA/ND/SD/NE
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2010, 09:53 AM  
Coming two

Anybody near Fairmont, MN?

My brother and his family are moving there in the next couple of weeks. The grocery store chain he has worked for since he was in high school is opening a store there and he will be managing it. Just curious about the town, etc.
SheriK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:52 PM  
Pasture Pet

Well... I don't know if this is going to mean anything, but several years ago I did some community forestry work there and the folks that I dealt with were the salt of the earth. The kind that really care about their town and want to make it the best place for everyone.

Southern MN is farming and rollling hills and near the Minnesota river valley if I'm remembering it right, so it is very pretty. Its a small town but not all that far from whatever you might need. And really, it isn't all that far from The Cities.

I wouldn't mind living there, if that helps.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:36 AM  
Yearling Member

I'm in agreement with Version1955

Nice little southern MN town. Far enough from the Twin Cities that people aren't so jaded and in always in a hurry, yet close enough that if you need a night out, a play or a concert, the trip is do-able.

He should keep in mind that Minnesotans have a reputation for being on the reserved side. (Truth is, we think you probably have better things to do than getting to know us.) He'll have to be the person making the first effort, but that's all it takes.

If your brother has kids, getting to know people will be easier. And of course, grocery stores in small(er) towns are hubs, so if he's the least bit outgoing, he'll know everyone in no time.

In my heart's desire, I'd live in a town like that.
green.willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:15 PM  
Seasoned

I live about 45 min. away from Fairmont- I've been there many times for various reasons.
I think they've done alot in recent years building new stores/bringing in more or upgrading their businesses. They have a few places such as Perkins etc to eat at if you should want. Also, they have a wonderful water park, it's large and inexpensive yet lots of water fun! Fairmont is close to the I90 Equestrian Center.
Not to far from Mankato which some refer to as the "Little Twin Cities" since it's grown so much in the last 20 yrs. Lots to find to do in Mankato and if you find that's not what you want, you can reach the Twin Cities is about 3 hrs from Fairmont.
Overall I think it's a nice clean town and I'd not be afraid to move there.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:54 AM  
Coming two

Thanks guys. So far they are settled in nicely and enjoying their new surroundings. Bro has been really busy setting up the store and they just had their grand opening Wednesday. Outgoing would be an understatement for him. He's best buddies with everybody They made their first trip to Mankato on Sunday. Their 3rd child is due in June (3 under the age of 3!) Thank goodness the store will keep him busy busy busy so we shouldn't be looking at 4 under the age of 4!
SheriK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:12 PM  
Pasture Pet

Glad to hear all is well.

Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Regional Chat > Forum for MN/WI/IA/ND/SD/NE