Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Regional Chat > Forum for Florida
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2009, 07:56 AM  
Yearling Member

Price of Hay in Florida thru the roof!!!

Anyone else going broke trying to buy 'good' hay in Florida? Man, I just paid $19.99 per bale for T&A! I used to try to only feed T&A but lately I am forced to add some coastal to supplement it as we've had some frost lately and all my grass is brown so I am feeding more hay than ever at it's all time high price! Slowly going broke down here....
jdougert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:21 AM  
Seasoned

I used to only feed Coastal (@ $7.50/bale)
But when the Coastal was nowhere to be found I was paying $12/Bale for T&A since it was the next cheapest hay..
But now that I see it's $19.99 a bale, I'm shocked!
Wonder what Alfalfa is up to, then? Any clue?
Last I saw it was the Alfalfa that was $20/bale...

You can only blame your problems on the world for so long
Before it all becomes the same old song.
KatieMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:38 AM  
Kid Safe

I finally broke down, and got a broker and started shipping it in by the truckload, so my cost per bale is 13/bale but i am buying 500 bales at a time........I had enough of paying 20/bale for hay!

"Animals are such agreeable friends--they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms..." --George Eliot

In Loving Memory of Spikey...My Best Friend...I Miss You RIP 1988-2009
kanoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:17 AM  
Weanling Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 904horsenerd
up here hay for coastal is 6.75 bale and 45.00 to 65.00 per roll and we found a place for alfafa was 10.00 a bale
Old 02-02-2009, 10:58 AM  
Started

We've given up trying to feed T&A due to the cost. We don't have enough room to store a lot of hay and, when we did buy a load of alfalfa last summer, it became moldy very quickly. We've been able to get nice coastal for 7.50/bale and all of the horses are out on irrigated pasture. We also feed high-quality feed with beet pulp in the formula so that helps. Not ideal but all of the horses look great and our old TWH rescue is gaining weight so it's working out. It's also important to us to keep them on a 6 week worming schedule and psyllium treatments as well to help avoid impactions.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:09 PM  
Yearling Member

Send a message via AIM to Meandmypal
I'm paying 12.50 a bale for T/A but just bought the last they had. It's coming from Michigan and my feed store was worried about the truck being able to get here!! I'm on the search now for someone fairly close. Anyone ever used Stargrass Rolls? I don't really like the way it looks. Like weeds more or less. So I didn't get any. My friend bought a round bale of it and her horses are eating it, but her pasture still looks nice and green and mine is brownish now. I also use high quality feed and beet pulp and of course the T/A.
Meandmypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:40 PM  
Bombproof Member

We have three full service feed stores in our county, not including the multitude of people who sell hay out of their back yards. The quality of hay in the last few months has been horrible. We are paying top dollar too for this crap !!!!!!!!!!!!

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:27 AM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meandmypal View Post
Anyone ever used Stargrass Rolls? I don't really like the way it looks. Like weeds more or less.
Meandmypal, I would not buy any hay that looks like it has lots of weeds. I wish I could find some of that T&A for $12.50!!! I also feed good quality feed, etc. but they still need good hay as well. I prefer forage over high amounts of grain or feed, even though mine is beet pulp based.
jdougert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:54 AM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdougert View Post
Meandmypal, I would not buy any hay that looks like it has lots of weeds. I wish I could find some of that T&A for $12.50!!! I also feed good quality feed, etc. but they still need good hay as well. I prefer forage over high amounts of grain or feed, even though mine is beet pulp based.
Yeah I passed on it. I like my T/A, seminole and beet pulp diet. My guys are seniors and my TB is a HARD keeper so I have to really stay on top of what they gooble down. LOL I'm actually thinking about adding some oil to the TB's diet too. They have get plenty of forage but I think adding about 1/8 cup of oil to his feed would help while this cold snap.
Meandmypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:08 PM  
Kid Safe

You guys that live close to one another could all just go in and buy a truckload.........Call Western Hay Company and have it brought in, that way you get good quality and whatever you want.

"Animals are such agreeable friends--they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms..." --George Eliot

In Loving Memory of Spikey...My Best Friend...I Miss You RIP 1988-2009
kanoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:37 PM  
Weanling Member

I get nice rolls of coastal hay in Lake City, Fl for $45. They are big rolls and are barn kept so they stay fresh. I'm lucky, I only have to buy hay in the winter. The feed stores in Cocoa want $80 to $85 for thier rolls and they are not as big as the rolls I can get from Lake City, it's worth the drive. I can't afford Alfalfa hay and my horses do just fine on Coastal.
Fredthecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:42 PM  
Kid Safe

Uncle Milty strikes again - another old hay post! This is not a forum for advertising hay!
singing tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:04 AM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singing tree View Post
Uncle Milty strikes again - another old hay post! This is not a forum for advertising hay!

LOL...I thought the same thing. Then I saw the date.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:56 PM  
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by singing tree View Post
ST, Cowboy Fred is your Uncle?

PaintsQH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:51 PM  
Newborn Member

I don't know how people can sleep at night charging those prices. We sell quality new york timothy/alfalfa hay direct from our farm for $12/bale.
eddie m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:56 AM  
Newborn Member

we get ours delivered to us from Palacios Manor and the prices are right on, not over the top like everyone else and the people are super sweet. I highly recommend them/check out their website. They have different types of hays.
mysilentmorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:51 PM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie m. View Post
I don't know how people can sleep at night charging those prices. We sell quality new york timothy/alfalfa hay direct from our farm for $12/bale.
I guess by the time you pay 4 bucks a gallon for diesel, you figure that price in, the price to re-stack the hay in their holding facility and losses of bales, it gains an extra $7 a bale.

That stuff doesnt grow down here.

I have a lady I buy really super good quality peanut hay from down in Osceola County for $13.50 a bale. The bales are really heavy.

If you are interested PM me and I'll give you her contact info.

Peanut hay = Florida Alfalfa. I was unsure about it until I did some reading. Now I'm just as confident feeding that as I would be straight alfalfa.

Proud horse mother of:
Zippys Delight, Peppys Chrome Sensation, and Go-Boomerang-Go!
ZippysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:28 AM  
Weanling Member

I have no idea what a bale of coastal goes for here now last time I saw the feed store down the road was at $7.50 a bale and $65 for a round bale. And they have horrible hay. I go about 15 minutes to get feed and hay and pay $55 for a nice round bale of coastal that is fresh and green and BIG. The place I go is the cheapest around for hay. Next time I am there I will check out the price for T&A and others

A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence. ~
Pam Brown
Silver_Spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:15 AM  
Weanling Member

I just found some really great hay in St. Cloud a couple weeks ago.

It's Jiggs which is a Bermuda type hay that is as close as you can get to alfalfa but it grows down here. I did some reading on it and it sounded really good. I went to pick it up and it looks and smells BEAUTIFUL!!

I tried to feed the rest of the coastal bales I got from the feed store by giving half coastal and half the jiggs. The coastal is just rotting in the sun. They wont touch it.

The guy sells it for $5 a square bale (same size as coastal bales) and something like $50 for a round bale. These round bales are bigger than anything you find at the feed store and 10 times nicer! It's worth it.

If you are interested in getting some of this hay, drop me a PM and I'll give you the guys phone number.

Proud horse mother of:
Zippys Delight, Peppys Chrome Sensation, and Go-Boomerang-Go!
ZippysMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Regional Chat > Forum for Florida