Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Regional Chat > Forum for Alberta, Canada residents
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2011, 06:23 AM  
Weanling Member

Edmontonians: Where do you buy your feed?

Happy Monday, everyone! I'm just making arrangements to bring my Standardbred mare home and I have a few questions... stupid questions, but questions nonetheless.

1. For those in Edmonton, where do you purchase your feed? I live in South Edmonton and would love to find some place close, but I'm willing to drive wherever.

2. My mare is 16 years old and will be worked lightly to moderately. She will be mainly used as a trail horse with some light arena work. Once she is properly conditioned, we might do some cantering, or longer trail rides over hills and into the mountains. She is kept outdoors and I would like to help her maintain her weight over the winter, keep her coat healthy and her hooves strong. What would you recommend in addition to grass/hay? I was thinking a good senior feed first of all. In the winter, I was going to supplement her hay with alfalfa cubes, beet pulp, a little grain and a weekly bran mash (especially on the really cold days). No sweet feed. Is that too much? Too little?

3. Have you ever heard of/ordered from this place? If you have, would you recommend it? http://www.feedstoretoyourdoor.com/

Thank you!
CourtneyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:28 AM  
Long Yearling

I feed the Vittera Products.

THey have a great mineral suplement for horses, I add kelp & magnesium to it and it does absolute wonders for their feet and coat - WAY BETTER THAN HOFFMANS! And way cheaper in the long run! I just free feed the loose minerals in a bucket tied to my fence.

I also feed some of the "Step" feeds. I really like them.

They carry all sorts of things like beet pulp etc too.

Where are you located?

I usualy drive to panoka to get all my feeds, as that is the only place that sells the minerals to the public.

But I am looking at doing a "bulk" order and then I can just pick it up in Sherwood Park wich is much closer for me. But I have to order ALLOT at a time.

So if you are thinking of stocking up for winter feed, let me know! Maybe I can get a bit of a deal for you!

http://www.viterra.com/portal/wps/po...ysxUBIVQK7w!!/

I have never used the ppl on the link you posted, but if I had a big barn with many boarders with cusomized feed programs, it sounds like something i wouild use for sure!

LittleJewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:20 AM  
Weanling Member

Hey there! I'm located in Edmonton and my horse is kept at a barn about 15 minutes from Sherwood Park (give or take, if you want to include all the ridiculous construction).

I'll have to look at the link you posted... I don't know if I have enough room in my little corner of the feed room at the barn to stock up for the entire winter, but it's something I would definitely consider. There are only a handful of boarders at my barn and most people don't really buy extra feed, so I might be able to buy in bulk and store it.

Do you buy the kelp at a health food store? That's one thing I've never, ever heard of people feeding to horses.

I spoke to the people from that link I posted and delivery in and around Sherwood Park is really reasonable - approximately $15. If you're further away, rates start at around $30 for delivery.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:50 PM  
Long Yearling

YOu can buy most feeds etc for your mare at G&E Pharmacy off of white ave and 75 street.

THey have good prices for the most part if you are buying just one bag at a time.

I am going to do this larger order from Vitera for Minerals, complete feed & suplements. I am going to have it delivered to the Sherwood Park depot just off the yellowhead for personal pick up. If anyone wants to throw some bags on to my order, just let me know, as its direct from Viterra and no middle man mark ups!!

Old 09-27-2011, 01:57 PM  
Pasture Pet

I buy from Clover bar feeds, which is east of Edmonton on highway 16, just east of highway 216.

They are cheaper than G&E and have a good selection...and a really cute cat.
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:05 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquineAlberta View Post
I buy from Clover bar feeds, which is east of Edmonton on highway 16, just east of highway 216.

They are cheaper than G&E and have a good selection...and a really cute cat.

He he, the cat is cute isn't it

I go there too, although I dont buy much, 2 bags a winter does my 3 hardy boys!
Lorddaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:55 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Clover bar feeds is a little out of my way, but I have heard good things about them.

I buy my feed at Spruce Grove Feeds. They are quite helpful there as well. If there is something you want, they can usually order it in for you.

I typically feed hay most of the winter with cubes thrown in when it gets to wet, windy or otherwise not suitable to feed the hay. Last winter they were fed more cubes because of the cold. I didn't want to run out of hay before the end of winter. I soaked the cubes in hot water so they kind of had a cube "mash" . SG Feeds also carries the Step feeds as well.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:49 PM  
Weanling Member

Thanks, everyone! You've been a huge help and given so many options for me.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:52 PM  
Newborn Member

Hey there... I'm located in Edmonton... But have also lived in Gibbons (just north of the city), and in New Sarepta area (east of the city, near sherwood park)... I've purchased at G&E Pharmacy, but found their selection to be inconsistent and expensive. I've also gone to Cloverbar Feeds as well, but just don't really keep up with it... I've found the best selection and prices at UFA's.
Roosevelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:03 PM  
Halter broke

Courtney,
Clover Bar is good and their adorable cat really does make every visit a pleasure! G@E also carrys a lot of feeds. On the northend is All Care Vet N Pet. They are really nice and will order in special feeds for you if you ask and are open weekends if you miss the feedmill (which I have) . Peavy Mart in Leduc has haycubes for a reasonable price and carries the Vitality line of feeds.
And bless you for buying a standardbred. My favorite breed of horse!
racetrackgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:27 AM  
Weanling Member

All Care Vet and Pet sells horse feed? I never knew that and I used to go in their fairly often (my parents live in that area). Shows how observant I am!

Standardbreds are my favorite breed too! I can't wait to have my special girl home with me.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:53 PM  
Coming two

Use to buy from cloverbar feeds & sometimes G&E but now I buy most my feeds at either Stockyard vet/beaverhill auction in Tofield or one of the UFA stores.
paintedpastures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:42 PM  
Long Yearling

Talking

I thought I would post Viterras address on here so if anyone else is wanting to buy any of their products, you could do so.

Ask for Cindy she was very helpfull. (its just arround the corner from Clover Bar Feeds)

The Sherwood Park mill does not carry ALL of their products, but will bring in anything you like (like the Loose Minerals from the Panoka plant - saves me 1.5 hrs ea way of driving!!!) And at NO EXTRA COST TO YOU!!!!

20 Liberty Drive
Sherwood Park AB

And your view from the street where the road curves:

Here is a 2011 price list as well!!
Poultry:
17% Poultry Layer (pellet) $9.20
36% Layer Supp (loose mineral) $15.20

Equine:
Step 1 - Start Right $14.60
Step 2 (ext) - Peak Sweet $15.25
Step 2 (text) - Peak 14% $13.50
Step 3 - Sweet $12.20
Step 4 - Complete $11.80
Step 4- Rky Mtn. Horse Crunch $11.96(G&E Retails for over $18)
Step 5 - Maintenance $13.25
Step 6 - Senior 16% $15.35
Step 7 - Equine Supp $16.95
Step 8 - Hi Fat 20% $15.95
ProFibre Fx $9.95
ProFibre Crunch (low sugar) $13.05
Premium Essentials (loose min) $36.56
Beet Pulp $6.20
Alfalfa Cubes $10.60
Alfalfa/Tim Cubes $10.60

Dog:
Kennel Blend (KB) All Stages $22.30
KB Large Breed $20.90
Nu-way Dog $19.62

Sheep:
18% Lamb Ration $9.90
36.5% Sheep/Lamb Supp $10.40

Last edited by LittleJewel : 10-06-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:46 PM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyF View Post
All Care Vet and Pet sells horse feed? I never knew that and I used to go in their fairly often (my parents live in that area). Shows how observant I am!

Standardbreds are my favorite breed too! I can't wait to have my special girl home with me.

Wont be long now!!! One week in fact!!!

Old 10-06-2011, 05:55 PM  
Halter broke

Little Jewel, is Vitterra selling by single bags now? I prefer to buy from them when I can but we had to buy 20 bags or more or we got sent to Clover Bar.
I will buy the big loads as its usually cheaper and we go through it fast enough but if you dont have a way to lock it up prperly it tends to "wander".
racetrackgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:30 PM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJewel View Post
Wont be long now!!! One week in fact!!!
I KNOW!!! You have no idea how excited I am. I cannot wait to meet you and your dogs, and I cannot wait for you to meet my Vanna.

Also: How convenient that Viterra also sells dog food, and at such a low cost! Right now, I pay about $60-70 for a 30lb bag of food for my dogs, and it lasts about a month. I think I know where that feed store is too (found it on one of my 'oh my god, I'm already lost so I might as well drive around aimlessly' adventures).

Last edited by CourtneyF : 10-06-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:15 AM  
Long Yearling

Ihavent read theri kennel blend ingreedients, but from what i hear ots pretty decent for a kibnle food. I feed my guhs raw meet so the dog food is not much use to me. But may e will be. Money savings at exmaz when i biyots of food etc to donqte to local rescues

Old 10-11-2011, 05:35 PM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJewel View Post
Ihavent read theri kennel blend ingreedients, but from what i hear ots pretty decent for a kibnle food. I feed my guhs raw meet so the dog food is not much use to me. But may e will be. Money savings at exmaz when i biyots of food etc to donqte to local rescues
... working on a new language there, LJ?
Old 10-12-2011, 10:52 PM  
Coming two

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyF View Post
... working on a new language there, LJ?
LMAO I really wish we had a like button!

Equine love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:55 PM  
Started

I also live in the south end of Edmonton and have been going to G&E pharmacy for Viterra products- I need a bag or two per month.

I use Viterra's beet pulp and Step 8, I compared prices with CloverBar and found the BP is slightly more expensive, but the Step 8 is a bit cheaper... but with the difference in driving, G&E works out better for me.

I didn't know you could buy directly from Viterra! Can you just go in and buy single bags? (They are MUCH cheaper!) What are their hours like?
*Giddy Up* is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Regional Chat > Forum for Alberta, Canada residents