Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2008, 03:16 PM  
Weanling Member

Molasses for goats?

Hi, I was told we are not to give my pygmy goats any kind of grain that has molasses in it. Is there a special reason for this? I just got my 3 goats and have been feeding them anything they want and or will eat. I need to get some straw hay for bedding, alfalfa hay and some grains. Just not sure if that is correct or not. Should I get a mix of oats, corn and barley or buy separately and mix myself? I also know they need to be wormed twice a year, and need to have shots, but not sure which and if I can do them my self or not?
I am going to love visiting here and please if I ask to many or stupid questions let me know!!
Belle the doe, who may or may not be pregnant I know needs more then just hay, as does the kid, but the buck should be fine on just the hay, is this correct please?
JayDee
SaddleTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:56 PM  
Kid Safe

There are a lot of goat keepers on here, one of them should be able to answer your question.

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:51 PM  
Weanling Member

Thank you so much for a quick answer. I went to the feed store and spent some time there asking questions, spending money heheh. The grains are fine for goats, its just the bucks, if they are not um "working" don't need grains. The does and kids need grains and the molasses is just a sweetener. The bucks urethra is so thin it can cause urinary stones, so unless they are breeding all the time they shouldn't have it and the alfalfa I got them is just fine.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:41 PM  
Pasture Pet

I admit I had to look this up because I could not remember what the name of it was-PEM. Opinions seem to be mixed but my Vet does not recommend feeding sweet feed or anything with molasses in it.
http://www.sweetlix.com/user_files/F...s/Goat_015.pdf
BUT I know nothing personally of goats-thankfully there are some folks on here with lots of goat experience..stay tuned.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:14 AM  
Weanling Member

Thank you so much ToveroMom. I have been reading all night. I purchased grains with and with out hehehe. I am giving the kid a 1/2 cup 'with' and 1/2 a flake of alfalfa. Max, the buck is getting flake and what he is eating in the yard and Doe is on 1/2 flake alfalfa and 1/2 cup of grains "without" heheh. I hope I am doing this correctly.
I also don't think Belle the doe is pregnant, she is rubbing her self againest the fence, her tail is twitching etc. She is trying to get the Bucks attention. So will see ~S~
Thank you again for the advice and link.
JayDee
Old 10-26-2008, 04:45 PM  
Kid Safe

If they are not milking , breeding or growing fast they do not need grain. They do not need alfalfa but they do need a good quality forage hay. We have had great results with an alfalfa mix but we have a rather large herd and the does are feeding kids throughout the year.

Worming twice a year may work for some breeders/goat owners but it will not work for them all. You need to do fecals first to see what if any worm issues they have, what type of worm and if your wormer is working. MOST goat owners do not worm correctly be it the type of wormer or the amount of wormer. Remember just because the goat may not "look wormy" does not mean it does not have a major worm overload...we just burried one that "looked" fine. Cause of death worm overload...she had been wormed 2 weeks prior to death.

Karen
Karen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:00 PM  
Weanling Member

Oh No, I am so sorry for your loss. I will do that. There's so much to learn in such a short time of having them. I'm already in love with Max the buck. He follows me into the house for treats and lets me brush him! Belle the doe let me touch her today with out jerking away. So there is hope!
Forgive my ignorance but what kind of hay do I ask for other then straw for bedding and alfalfa? The forage hay, is that what I ask for please?
Old 10-28-2008, 05:18 AM  
Kid Safe

Thank you but really it's nobodys fault but my own. I had alot of goats then started to work full time it's really difficult to care for a herd of 100 when you work so many hours...not that they went w/o feed/shelter or anything but I missed the signs. Once I realized we had a problem I knew we were dealing with worms but all worms are not created equal and I used the wronge wormer. Thankfully I have a vet not far from us who is willing to help with herd management and the losses have stopped.

Anyway,,,the hay we have very good results with an alfalfa/grass mix first cutting is good. The pure alfalfa hay we use for our dairy goats when they are fresh or sick animals that need more. You must be carefull giving it to bucks because if the calcuim/phosperous ratio is off they can get "pee stones" (Sorry I"ve not yet had coffee). DO NOT fall for the "goat hay" line you often see in papers/ads. You want dust/mold free hay for them not the moldy stuff so often advertised as good for goats. We just put in a hayfield this year and being a new field it was full of weeks very little alfalfa and some grass....the goats could not get enough of it. They are browsers, they go from place to place "tasting" not grazing for any amount of time like horses, sheep and cattle do.

Pygmys have a tendency to get fat so watch the amount of grain you feed, I'd think 1/2 cup am/pm would be plenty if the doe is nursing or you see the buck loosing condition durring the rutt increase it a bit.

Good Luck with them goats can be such fun!!!
Karen
Karen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:52 AM  
Weanling Member

Thank you Karen, I will get this done as soon as possible. Just the thought of worms is yucky and I want my babys in good health. My daughter was told wrong about the Doe being pregnant, she isnt and in fact she is going through her heat. From what Ive read and watching her closely, she will cycle again in 5 days if Max did'nt get his job done. heheh. After that she will come back in in about 20 days. The buck roams free, and I have the doe stacked out during the day, then put her and the kid in the pen at night. I hope I am doing this the right way. Im already hooked!
JayDee

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal