Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2008, 08:21 AM  
Greenbroke Member

HELP duck with broken leg??-Update-

My duaghter has 3 ducks-- one got out last night so I was putting her back in and she clawed me and jumped away--she fell about 3 feet and now it appears one of her legs are broken I feel so bad........... is there anythign we can do? will it heal on its own
She is eating and drinking fine and is getting around but with difficulty--not putting any weight on the hurt leg

Last edited by dodib : 09-01-2008 at 04:21 PM.
dodib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:17 PM  
Greenbroke Member

No ONE????
Old 08-28-2008, 03:19 PM  
Started

Can you get her to the vet? Do you have a vet that will even deal with ducks? I would think it would be best to get her vetted to see what happened.

I would def keep her in a safe place, a injured duck is just asking for trouble with predators. She'd be an easy target for them!
Old 08-28-2008, 03:50 PM  
Greenbroke Member

No I don't know of any vets around here that deal with ducks. She is in a pen with our 2 other ducks--so should be safe from predators....
Old 08-28-2008, 03:54 PM  
Started

Maybe you could splint it up someway to stablize it then?

Sorry I'm not that much help, I've dealt with ducks but not broken ducks
Old 08-28-2008, 05:26 PM  
Coming two

Poor duck, to much of a jump for him..he has to learn to spread his wings a little

Are you sure it's broken?, check the leg for a break location first. If its in a easy place to splint, then sure you could set-it splint it (do not bandage so tight the leg has no circulation) and it should heal.

Could be broken at the hip and that would be a place you really couldn't splint. could just be dislocated ? then faster the joint is reset, better the heal. A vet xray would then give you more info if it is broken.

Could be just a sprain, or broken toes. Check the whole leg first and see if you can discover a actual break somewhere. If they do not bear any weight what so ever and/or the leg swings loose like a door..it usually is broken somewhere.

good luck hope it's just a sprain or brusing.

I just edited to add. I know some types of chickens are meat type and get so heavy their legs just start being weaker. I am not sure if some types of ducks are like meat chickens or not, I mean with weaker legs as they get to heavy. Don't want to tell you to eat the pet of course...but that's just something I wanted to share because it happened to some of my sisters "pet" meat chickens. They had slight fall or jump and hurt a leg, and their vet explained the meat chickens weak leg thing.

Last edited by Sunlei : 08-28-2008 at 05:34 PM.
Sunlei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:00 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Had a friend with sheep,and sometimes the lambs were born with really bowed front legs, or walking on their ankles. We took toilet paper tubes and used those for support til the muscles developed in the proper places. Could you do something like that with a duck?
tallyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:02 PM  
Newborn Member

What kind of duck is she? I had Mallards and they seemed very sensitive about their toes. They would get waddlin and stub a nail in the dirt and limp for days. If she is eating and drinking I would not worry too much. I know most vets would laugh at you for taken a duck in, plus it would be really expensive. I would just gently feel the leg for heat and swelling and look for bruising. Ducks can take some pretty nasty falls from poor landing. Chances are, she is just sore.

Good Luck!
Chevychic26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:53 AM  
Coming two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevychic26 View Post
What kind of duck is she? I had Mallards and they seemed very sensitive about their toes. They would get waddlin and stub a nail in the dirt and limp for days. If she is eating and drinking I would not worry too much. I know most vets would laugh at you for taken a duck in, plus it would be really expensive. I would just gently feel the leg for heat and swelling and look for bruising. Ducks can take some pretty nasty falls from poor landing. Chances are, she is just sore.

Good Luck!
I checked in to see how mr duck is today.

I wanted to get some mallards and/or geese like canadians. I have this dream of raising them and then letting them fly away when they feel the need to migrate.I have never had ducks before except wildlife rehab and those were fixed and released. I'd have custom bands crafted with return info.....

Did your mallards fly away in their migration season?
Old 08-29-2008, 10:05 AM  
Bombproof Member

I raised some Chinese button quail once and ended up with a little one that broke its leg.

I splinted it with a toothpick and duct tape. But after a week I could tell that everything below the break was starting to die off. And the little chickie was no longer getting around to get enough food. So I did the supposedly unthinkable . . . I amputated. Did the whole thing at home, and just did my best to tie off with some dental floss and packed it really well with gause. The poor thing looked liek it was walking on a Q-tip for a while. But after the dead weight was gone, it got around amazingly well and totally rebounded back to life, happy as a clam.

So yes, if Vet isn't an option, then do your best to try splinting and see how it goes.

And no, contrary to popular belief, the stuff is NOT "Duck" tape!!!
Old 08-29-2008, 10:07 AM  
Greenbroke Member

She is still alive-- eating and drinking good gets around but is still hobbling.
She is a Muscovy. We also have a Pekin. Most ducks if born in captivity cannot fly. We had some Mallards they didnt' fly but got eaten by a fox--
I think it is broken but I think she will make it. Hoping anyway
Thanks
Old 08-29-2008, 10:44 AM  
Coming two

Good to hear the duck's as content as can be. sorry he has not improved more. If your Vet has a xray, they may not charge to much to take one fast view just to see.

domestic Ducks can't fly? even mallards? what if i take the babies inside someplace and give them flying lessons? I can't fly a ultralight or i could be like that guy who migrates with his geese.

All my pet birds fly, I never clip wings on any of them. I have a old double yellowhead parrot and he flies and attacks from the air...he's dangerous.

I just would not want a herd of wild ducks and geese sticking around here forever lol
Old 08-29-2008, 11:23 AM  
Newborn Member

My mallards flew a little. They would fly from the pond to the house when they would see me, but that was about it. Mine never left. I finally relocated them to my friends house because I was tired of getting yelled at about their poop. They really are dirty birds.....nasty poop! They are still hanging out at my friend's house with all her geese and guineas.

Good luck with your baby!
Chevychic26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:21 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Well I guess our Mallards could fly 20 feet or so but not enough to go up and migrate or something............obsvously not enough to get away from a fox either. Our new ducks are in a fenced pen so hopefully they don't get the same fate
Old 08-29-2008, 02:17 PM  
Kid Safe

Hey...

My original mutt duck, Banyan, suffered a broken leg on a couple of occasions. She had a terrible habit of walking under the horses (who were her only "flock") and there were two cases where Emma didn't see her.

Our vets weren't big on poultry cases so we treated her ourselves.

We would put her into a secure pen, with plenty of hay to nest in, food and water close to her, so she didn't need to walk, and she'd eventually heal on her own.

If your vet can't treat your duck, here's some suggestions. (Of course, try your vet first).

Provided your duck is in a predator free area, and is able to eat and drink (you may need to put the food and water up close to it) it should heal up for the most part, with only a slight limp. If you can contain it into a smaller pen, where it is safe, that is best. You can aid the leg if need be by splinting it with a few popsicle sticks, a little cotton gauze, and vet wrap. Adding Terramycin powder to the water is a good broad spectrum antibiotic, to help with any infections that may try to set in.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:22 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Just wanted to tell you all the duck is healing it seems. She is now putting a little weight on her hurt leg and is holding the foot so it looks normal.... still hobbling but seems to be getting better
Old 09-03-2008, 09:35 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Glad to hear the duck is getting better. I had a pet Muscovy that I dearly loved.

My pet, domestic mallards flew away for good, forever. Guess no one told them they couldn't fly.

Peace!! I wish the people of the world could get along as well as the animals in my backyard.
crittermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:39 PM  
Started

I'm sure it would be fine, seeing as it has food and water, and is a tame duck?

Wild ones normally get around find as well, as long as there is a supply of things they need to live, and no animals that would eat them
Old 09-06-2008, 12:44 PM  
Coming two

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittermom View Post
Glad to hear the duck is getting better. I had a pet Muscovy that I dearly loved.

My pet, domestic mallards flew away for good, forever. Guess no one told them they couldn't fly.
hey that's what I would want my mallards to do too. I live in Texas and I see the big V shaped flocks of ducks and geese traveling in the fall. So I think my ducks (if I get them) would join along. Would be fun to raise them

I'm so happy the injured duck is healing, hope he's all better soon.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:00 PM  
Newborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodib View Post
Just wanted to tell you all the duck is healing it seems. She is now putting a little weight on her hurt leg and is holding the foot so it looks normal.... still hobbling but seems to be getting better
My duck was injured last night I believe one of my horses stepped on him...any new advice to give? We are going to try and splint and place him in a confined area where he can eat and drink?
ridgeviewfarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal