Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2008, 09:27 AM  
Kid Safe

Dying Goats?

My boss has had a few goats, and the guy next door to her has a heard of gost and a heard of sheep.

Well they are having problems with their goat kids dying, but not the sheep babies.

Here is a description of what happens:

Let them out of the barn in the morning, they go into the field. Check on them at lunch and 1 kid is missing. Go look for it a little later and it is laying by the pond. Help it get up,it is very wobbly. Takes a few steps and falls back down. Dies.

They were wormed and everything, so what could it be that is affecting her goats and the neighbors goats, but not the sheep.
DoBeSassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:42 AM  
Long Yearling

That is so sad!! And must be heartbreaking for the owners. I am not sure what it could be, but wanted to offer ((HUGS))). I will be keeping them in my thoughts and prayers. I hope they can get it figured out soon!! Have they had a vet out???

Luv2Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:52 AM  
Kid Safe

I'm not sure aboutthe vet thing.

Oh, and it doesn't affect the adult goats.

I was thinking some kind of goat Parvo or something, and maybe the vaccination was bad, but its weird that it would affect the neighbors goats as well, unless he didnt vaccinate, but I though he does??
Old 02-22-2008, 09:56 AM  
Long Yearling

Wow, It just affects the babies?? Hmmm......Weird!! Beings you're in Texas, does he have anything growing in the pastures that could be poinsonous to the babies. Even though I have no idea what it could be, maybe keep them from going out on pasture for several days, if none die, than they will know its something in the pasture. No signs of an attack by some sort of small predator animal?? Fox, coyotes, etc etc etc.

Luv2Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:59 AM  
Kid Safe

I thought the same thing about a coyote, but there were no signs of being roughed up.

And the neighbor has dogs watching his goa herd and a donkey for his sheep herd, so they are pretty well protected
Old 02-22-2008, 10:25 AM  
Coming two

Send a message via AIM to Jess6092
If it always happens by the water, maybe it is contaminated with something. Just a thought. I sure hope they figure it out soon. That could be devistating in many ways to lose all of this years crop.
Jess6092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:28 AM  
Seasoned

Send a message via Yahoo to Diamond_Y
Our neighbor lasted just two seasons in the goat business. He lost almost every kid in his second crop because he gave the wrong vaccinations.

He sold the goats and went back with heifers.
Diamond_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:30 AM  
Kid Safe

Thats what I'm thinking happened, but it is weird to happen to neighbors, unless one gave bad vaccs and the other didn't give any at all.
I just wonder what illness causes this kind of death

I don't think its the water as the adult goats, cows, horses, and dogs drink out of it as well and none of them have a problem.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:32 AM  
Kid Safe

What are some symptoms? Just the wobbly and then the death? Could be something they're eating or something in the water that's affecting them. A necropsy would be helpful.

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:47 AM  
Kid Safe

That really it, I mean they leav inthe morning bouncing around like kids do, then the kinds drop like flies.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:03 AM  
Coming two

i would definately quarantine the babies. if they're doing fine inside maybe keep them there until they're older. do you know what kind of vaccinations they had? what kind of goats are they? it could be breed specific. how old are they?

grama, aka the expert, says it sounds like enterotoxemia. have they had C&D at three weeks and six weeks of age? (C&D is chlostridium perfingens type C&D it's almost the same as black leg in cattle) grama also asks if you are in a selenium defecient area? also have they been treated for lice with cor-al?

horsebabyhehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:08 AM  
Yearling Member

Grama's suggestion about selenium is a good one. Do you give BO-Se shots down there?
pennyrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:10 AM  
Kid Safe

I know almost nothing about goat, so I have no idea what kind of vaccinations they got etc. I do know they are boar crosses.

I will pass this on to my boss, I'm sure she will know more then me.

Thanks everyone
Old 02-22-2008, 11:20 AM  
Coming two

grama says: if you are in a selenium defecient area they will need a Bo-Se. if you can't get it a good dose of vitamin e will work.

if it is enterotoxemia you will need to vaccinate the ones without symptoms immediately and then again in 2 weeks. the ones with symptoms need the anti-toxin which you should be able to get from your vet. all goats have this toxin in their body and sooner or later they will build up enough of the toxins in their gut to kill them so they all need the shot. after the initial shot they'll need a yearly booster of the same shot. also in the 3rd trimester of the doe's pregnancy give them a booster shot. there is also a shot on the market now that includes tetanus (CD&T). this way 2 CC's of medicine will take care of most of the inner problems in the goats.

horsebabyhehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:25 AM  
Kid Safe

I agree could be entro. could be selenium deficancy , tetnus or floppy kid also pasturella pnumonia. If they were mine I'd start with a Bo-Se shot just 1/2cc if they are standard sized goats 1/4 cc if they are a mini breed. From there I'd probally give them Tetnus shots at a month old even if the does were vaccinated...are these kids ones that have been disbudded or castrated? If horses live on the same land they carry tetnus and can pass it to the goats even if they have not been living in the pasture for a few years...learned that first hand. I'd also give them a drench of Baking Soda it will bring them through the floppy kid if thats what it is...easy and cheap fix.

Karen
Karen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal