Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2008, 10:58 AM  
Started

Duck with hurt foot...what do I do?? Updated with new ???

Our big Rouen drake can barely walk this morning. I don't know what happened or what to do for him. Any advice?

Last edited by greygirls : 02-18-2008 at 11:19 AM.
greygirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:01 AM  
Started

I don't know the first thing about the care of a duck...but sending best wishes for a speedy recovery
Old 02-13-2008, 02:07 PM  
Greenbroke Member

any chance of frost bite?
Pixiefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:23 PM  
Yearling Member

Where do you have him housed? I agree, in this frigid weather in our northern climate, you may be dealing with frostbite. We keep a REALLY thick layer of hay under ours to keep them warm, and they are confined in the barn with the rest of the critters during the bad weather. can you check his feet to see if they are discolored, or sloughing off the scaley looking skin?
Jadelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:48 PM  
Started

I'm pretty sure it's not frostbite as there doesn't appear to be any discolouration or anything. I really think it may be broken or something. He won't put any wieght on it at all. I may phone the vet tomorrow (don't know if they do ducks or not) to see what they say. He's gonna starve or dehydrate if we don't do something as he won't even walk to the feed/water dishes. I did take them to him but he wouldn't drink. I also put him in a nest of hay to keep him warm. I just feel so bad for the big guy.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:56 PM  
Started

Well we took him to the vet today (how many people take their ducks to the vet). He was really well behaved & the vet figures something had bitten him but we can't think of anything that would bite him but not "finish" the job. She gave him a couple shots & I now have to give him meds three times a day...FUN!
Old 02-14-2008, 08:39 PM  
Kid Safe

Sorry to hear about your duck. Glad to hear he will get better. Poor thing what ever bit him lets hope it's not hanging around waiting to finish the job.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:42 PM  
Coming two

How awful-I'm glad he will be ok
Old 02-15-2008, 10:23 AM  
Started

I really have no clue what bit him. A fox/weasle/fisher etc. would've finished the job & taken everyone else too. There is a squirrel that goes in & eats the chickens scratch...maybe he did it? We were wondering if maybe the horses came down & scared whatever it was off but you'd think it would've come back when they were gone again. In any event, he's a valuable duck now! Almost worth $100! I know we're crazy to spend that on a duck but I couldn't watch him slowly die & the butcher is out of the question too. At least it's been a learning experience...I now know how to give a duck medication.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:00 AM  
Kid Safe

At least it's been a learning experience...I now know how to give a duck medication.

And you know what kind of medication.

I was thinking rat or cat or maybe even a possum chances are you'll never know.

Don't feel bad. I once spent 50+ dollars on my neighbors bird I was hand feeding and it died. I told the neighbor I would pay the bill as it was my own fault. The bird swallowed my feeding tube and the vet asporated it trying to get it back. My lesson was to learn not to panic. The next time it happened It cost me nothing and the bird lived to tell the tale.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:22 AM  
Started

Well last night, I went to give him his meds & his nose was bleeding. The vet said to watch for aspiration so I took him off the meds today & have to wait till tomorrow to get a hold of the vet. I don't know if that was the right thing to do since it's antibiotics that he is on & I know you're supposed to give those on a strict schedule. Did I do the right thing??? Should I put him back on them??? He is doing much better. He's walking (with a limp) now. He even went outside today!
Old 02-18-2008, 10:51 PM  
Kid Safe

I'm not sure what kind of antibiotics you are giving or how.

Aspiration in a bird is very serious. From the sounds of it I don't think it will hurt for him to miss his meds. He's showing signs of improving.

I am concerned about the bloody bill. Is the blood coming from his nostrils? Do you think you might have aspirated him? A sick bird sits around acting dopey and often puffs up their feathers. Does he show interest in water? If he's eating and drinking and showing interest in water (wading or even splashing in it) then I think it would be safe to miss his meds. But if he's not acting normal then I'd be concerned. But from what you say I think he'll be all right.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:03 PM  
Started

Well we talked to the vet today & she called the animal hospital in TO for advice & they said to just lower his dose. They said that if the bloody nose was caused by the meds, it would be a first. The blood appeared to be coming out of his nostril but he was perfectly fine otherwise. He's walking quite well now but his leg is really swollen.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:50 PM  
Started

Greygirls you can always PM Muttduck with duck questions.
She is not on a lot to see all of the threads, but she has an abundant amount of ducky knowledge.

I think you are great to take such good care of your duck!

Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. W.C.Fields
Touche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:04 PM  
Yearling Member

Greygirls, I am so glad your duck is getting better, We lost 6 out of our flock the winter to a mink. I was so upset that they were attacked like they were. No chance, and I felt guilty for a long time for having them cooped up where they couldn't get away. But we got the mink, and all of our duckies are safer now. I hope your duck gets better, and does he have a name yet?
Jadelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:30 AM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touche View Post
Greygirls you can always PM Muttduck with duck questions.
She is not on a lot to see all of the threads, but she has an abundant amount of ducky knowledge.

I think you are great to take such good care of your duck!
Thanks Touche!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadelover View Post
I hope your duck gets better, and does he have a name yet?
The vet asked me that & I said no...not because he doesn't have a name but because I'm embarassed by what it is. One of my nefews named him Mr.Woppy. He was trying to say Mr.Floppy(cause of the feet I guess) but his speech isn't the best & so it came out Mr. Woppy. We just call him Drake when my nefew's not around.

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal