Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2007, 05:04 PM  
Started

Goat problem

My goat did something strange today and I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem.
I've had my goats about a month I think. Today they were let out of their pen to play (I was watching) and while running across the yard my male goat stiffened and fell over. I thought he hurt himself, so I ran over there to make sure he was ok. He was fine got up and ran off.
Then later I let them out again and a cat got in their pen. I grabbed the cat and put it out of the pen. THe cat made a commotion, my goat bleeted and fell over on his back again. Got up a second later and was fine.
My goats mom came from the auction and was pregnant and the owners did not know it. Could he be part fainting goat? Or does he need some vitamins or something he is not getting?
I'm very confused, he has never did this before. He is 4 months and his sister has never done this. Please any info would be good.

I don't regret the things I've done. I regret the things I didn't do when I had the chance.
Pony express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 05:07 PM  
Greenbroke Member

yep.....sounds like fainting goat reaction.

scarey, but harmless........lol......although I can imagine your heart was in your throat, not expecting that!

no pics?
tallyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 05:11 PM  
Started

tally, I am going to go out and get pictures tomorrow. Maybe I can catch him doing it. As far as I know he is a pygmy. Unfortuantly I know little about goats and right now they are eating sweet feed and hay. I am going tomorrow to get goat chow and a mineral block. I am doing my best but feel maybe I don't know enough to take care of them.
I feed them 2x a day and always let them out of their pen for 1/2 to 1 hour a day to play and graze. I clean their pen at least once a week, more often if I have time. They are not particular about where they poo. And I make sure they always have fresh, clean water. I change it many times a day.
Can goats sleep in shavings? or will they eat them and get blocked up?

I don't regret the things I've done. I regret the things I didn't do when I had the chance.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:21 PM  
Halter broke

I have always had my goats out in the horses pasture. The one I have now is a pain in the butt. He stands under my one mare when its cold and rainy and head butts the llama when its nice out and he wants to play. He also is as wild as can be but is sure fun to watch. All he gets is grass in the summer and hay in the winter and the same salt block as the horses. I have had a goat in there pen for over 20 yrs without any special feed and never had any problems
deelights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 05:28 PM  
Started

Thank you Deelights, I feel better. Maybe, just Maybe, he is part fainting goat. Sure scared the crap out of me though. lol I just checked on him and he seems fine.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:32 PM  
Kid Safe

Is his sister a full sister? It sure does sound like a fainting goat to me! Now, if he just falls over "faint" and there's no excitement...I would worry. But, if he's only do it when there's excitement, it's probably fainting goat syndrome!

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:02 PM  
Started

As far as I know she is a full sister. Can goats get pregnant by more than one male at a time like cats?
The mom was at an auction and my friends bought her. She was pregnant and they did not know it. She had triplets and the other two are not showing signs of this.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:51 PM  
Kid Safe

Let me do some research.....

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:57 PM  
Started

I also have goats and 2 new babies today. They are pygmys but it really sounds like your goat fainted. I have my goats out in the horse pasture as well and they drink from the same water and eat sweet feed once a day. From what I know goats will eat almost anything. Mine like weeds,hay, sweet feed etc. I bought medicated goat food and they wont even look at it. They are used to the sweet feed and now wont touch the other food.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:58 PM  
Yearling Member

We bought a nanny that was part fainting. Any type of commotion would startle her and she'd hit the ground. When she had twins, we kept the nanny. The offspring was 1/3 fainting then. She would only faint if you chased her. Things going on around her didn't bother her, it was only if you started running her. I'd bet that if she had little ones, they may not faint at all.
Maybe yours has fainting somewhere in it's background.
dcandace is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal