Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2007, 09:44 AM  
Long Yearling

Baby pygmy goat today. How ofter should she be nursing?

I went out to feed everybody this morning and found Liberty. We knew she was pregnant and one of our pygmy goats Snowball (1st time mom) had 1 baby this morning. her name is Liberty. I have been watching to make sure she is nursing and it does not seem that she is nursing enough. The mom keeps turning around when she tries to look at her like what in the heck are you doing, but there are a couple time that is appears that she has been able to nurse for a couple of seconds. How often should she be trying to nurse and how long should she be latching on for? Thanks for the help!!
[IMG][/IMG]
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...liberty001.jpg
jtfer1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:08 AM  
Kid Safe

Don't forget to get iodine on her navel.

Okay, goat kids will nurse for about 3 to 5 seconds continually throughout the day. You may never actually see it. But, you should check mama to see if the plugs are out of her teats. Then, you may have to hold her still to make sure the baby gets a good suck of the colostrum. Though, if she's finding the teat on her own, she's probably got that down!

You can check to make sure the baby is drinking by kind of feeling the flank area. If it's very thin, she's not getting enough. If it's full, she's getting plenty!

Cute!

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:48 PM  
Long Yearling

Okay, she seems to be nursing some. she seems to search for the teat bop the mom a few times, not drink anything and then walk away. She seems to be alert and active though, but I wish I could see her nurse a little more. She is a sweetheart!! I guess she is sneaking a drink while I am not looking!!
Old 07-04-2007, 08:50 PM  
Started

Oh, she is precious......and I love the name Liberty! Great 4th of July present!!!!

I don't regret the things I've done. I regret the things I didn't do when I had the chance.
Pony express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:46 AM  
Long Yearling

Love your Little Liberty's face...and markings.

Looks like mama is bonded...mine never had a problem getting enough to eat...maybe too much

Let us know how she does...

The babies are such a joy...and a cute little Firecracker...YEAH!!!!
Old 07-05-2007, 02:15 PM  
Long Yearling

Thanks!! She is so cute to watch bounce and hop around. Her little belly seems full to the touch. I have seen her nurse too. Just a little nervous still. Our last baby we ended up having to bottle feed. I am still not 100% sure why, but he did not seem to be getting enough milk from his mom. I just want to make sure that Liberty is getting enough to drink.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:58 PM  
Kid Safe

They are kind of scary when they're little because you don't see them stand and nurse for long periods of time. I've stressed about that often! Plus, when they are really little, they don't make much of a difference on Mom's full bag. But, as long as she's spritely and you've seen her find it without a hitch, she's doing fine.

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal