Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2007, 10:53 AM  
Kid Safe

Goats and laminitis.

Anyone have any experience with this? I'm looking for the symptoms....

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:43 AM  
Yearling Member

I have not personally dealt with this but one of the 4h kids had a doe with this problem. It sounded quite similar to a horse. The doe did not want to get up and I think they said her feet were hot. They built a sling for her and she would paddle around in it. She apparently recovered enough to be shown again.
pennyrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:49 AM  
Kid Safe

laminitis

The reason I ask:

Brigit, my almost yearling doe, is acting very odd about her feet. I checked for rot, there's none. She stands exactly like a foundered horse and is obviously very sensitive on those front feet. She eats on her knees. Her feet are NOT hot, though. They are softish, but it shouldn't be bothering her.

The research I did said that laminitis can occur from overeating, pneumonia, or bacterial infection. She's had no signs of any of those and it's not from overeating.

I have put some "boots" on her with a sugardine paste and she seems to be more comfortable. I'm guessing it probably is, just from the results there.

It can't be CAE because her mother doesnt' have that and she's not in the right age range for that to show up.

No, I won't take her to the vet. The vet has, in the recent past, done nothing to help me. I've taken a goat, a cow, and a dog to him and they have all died. The goat is pretty notable because he gave an antibiotic and said she'd be fine. She died 2 days later. So I'm on my own here.

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

Old 02-03-2007, 08:55 AM  
Seasoned

I don't know anything about goats, but if putting the boots and sugardine seemed to help, just keep doing that.

*hugs* You've been through so much, I'm sorry. I wish I could help more.
wildcat180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:19 AM  
Started

Dumb question:

Could it be a case of thrush

~ My treasures do not clink together nor glitter, they gleam in the sun and neigh in the night ~
Rocking Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:25 AM  
Kid Safe

thrush

Not a dumb question at all. Goats get a form of thrush called foot rot. With the weather we've been having, I thought that's what it was when I saw her hobbling. I went out with the shears and the iodine, ready to treat, but her hooves LOOK wonderful! Very healthy.

I did a bit of everything for her and I'm about to go out and take her boots off for a while. I'll put them on later.

Did you know that goats can have baby aspirin? Who knew?

Old 02-03-2007, 04:26 PM  
Kid Safe

I would have her tested for CAE anyway just because her mother tested neg. does not mean she does not have it, it could just mean it was not active at that time. If your goat is over 6 months old she is old enough to be tested and I've seen a few positive goats that were showing signs at that age.

Founder in goats can occur for the same reasons as anything else...change of feed, stress...kidding stress is a biggie, to rich of hay the list goes on. Some bloodlines are more prone to it than others as well. Has she been trimmed recently? I've had a few that if they were not trimmed ever 4-6 weeks they got sore even if they had never been foundered and did not have foot rot....we no longer have those goats.

Good Luck
Karen
Karen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:32 PM  
Kid Safe

goat

She's not quite 6 months old. And, the only symptom she's displaying is the sore feet.

After I've taken the boots off, she's not hobbling around as much.

Who knows?

Could be stress from weather. That's pretty much the only thing that's changed for her since she was born!

Old 02-03-2007, 05:55 PM  
Kid Safe

OH I thought I read she was almost a yearling sorry. ..brain freeze.

I'd check the angles on her feet make sure they are even and not trimmed like a horse. Goats should be more straight up and down if she isn't that could be a big part of it.

Anyway you can take a straight on photo of her front feet? If so that could help determine what is going on with her.

Karen
Karen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal