Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2006, 07:35 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Coughing goats

Anybody know what causes goats to cough? It started with one and now all 3 are. The vets are stumped.

Pink Tiger says 'Grrrrrr'
joustinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:02 PM  
Long Yearling

I know worms can cause coughing.

We had this happen to our goats last year, they started coughing AFTER being wormed, turned out there was mold in the hay.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:56 PM  
Bombproof Member

Do goats get lungworms?

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:17 PM  
Yearling Member

Call your vet , coughing is just a minor symptom to something that could be much bigger.

Have you ever seen a gelding better built and more talented then your stud? Then he needs to be a gelding to!
Hola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:45 PM  
Long Yearling

We got our Pygmy first, no coughing. When we bought our Nubian, we went and looked at her(no coughing) and paid for her, but didn't bring her home until the previous owners showed her at our State Fair. Well, she caught something at the State Fair, and was coughing horribly when we brought her home. Then a week or two later, the Pygmy was coughing. They have eventually quit coughing but only occasionally, instead of constantly. It is rare and only once in a great while. I didn't call the vet, because I figured it was just a goat "cold" or something she caught from being around hundreds of other goats at the Fair. Don't know what to tell you, other than from personal experiance, the cough has almost completely gone away with my goats.

Luv2Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:30 AM  
Greenbroke Member

This is my trainers goats. She raised an orphan and decided that the orphan needed goat friends. So she bought 2 new goats. She is very angrey with herself that she did not quarantine the new ones. One of the new ones was coughing and now 2 months later even the original goat is coughing. She feels just terrible that she may have brought something to her first baby.

Hola, the vets have been out many times. They just keep deworming them. She did send stool to them to see what they could find. Like I said in the first post, the vets are stumped. She is using a local vet and the vet school at Va Tech.

Lung worms were my first guess. But she said that they have been dewormed almost weekly for 5 weeks.

Pink Tiger says 'Grrrrrr'
joustinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 07:41 AM  
Yearling Member

I suggest going to Fiascofarm.com , they've been great at helping me with any questions I have.
Look around at there site , its VERY informative...

Have you ever seen a gelding better built and more talented then your stud? Then he needs to be a gelding to!
Hola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:07 AM  
Kid Safe

infection

Have the vets suggested anything for a respiratory infection? I have no idea what it could be, but it seems that if they are being wormed for possible lungworms...an infection would be the next guess. I'll do some research from here and get back to you.

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:26 AM  
Kid Safe

If it were one, with a random cough, I'd say that it's likely cud getting stuck. (Remember that they are ruminents like cows.)

Have you looked at this site?? It's got LOTS of info on various illnesses of goats.

http://www.goatworld.com/articles/he...diseases.shtml
Old 11-05-2006, 12:37 AM  
Kid Safe

http://www.fiascofarm.com/goats/respiratory.htm

I helped ya find the info Hola is talking bout.

Hola that is an excellent site
Old 11-05-2006, 01:11 AM  
Kid Safe

Two types of lice are common in goat biting lice (Damalinia Caprae and Damalinia-limbata) and sucking lice (Linognathus stenopis). In both cases goat rub herself against fences, walls and trees. treated by use of Malathion or Diazinon or pouring of 5-10 ml of Tiguvon (an oil based insecticide).

Not related to coughing but something I have seen my goats doing and never gave it a thought it could be lice.

Thanks muttduck for the info. I couldn't believe all the things that can go wrong with a goat. SCARY
Old 11-05-2006, 04:09 AM  
Started

My goat Peanut (a Lamanch) picked up a highly contagious "goat cold" at the county fair. His barn buddy Gabriel quickly got it, and both of them had to have antibiotics for about 2 weeks.

They had a steady cough, wet noses, but everything else was ok. They acted normal, just coughed, a lot.

The vet compared it to like kennel cough in puppies. Easy to pick up, has to be medicated to get it gone. Once one catches it, they all get it.

It wasn't transferable to the horses.

The cough sounded like they were exposed to dust or something, a constant dry *cough* *cough* *cooooooough* followed by a break to eat or drink, then more coughing.

It was gone half way through the antibiotic treatment.

"The more people I meet the more I love my German Shepherd"
mandelyn82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal