Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2006, 08:33 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via AIM to OSUJillyBean
Treats for beef cattle

Thursday we're taking a class tript o the "beef barn" to see the facilities & whatnot. I'll be taking my camera b/c I'ma total dork and i've never been around cows before.

I don't know if it's allowed but I'm going to take cow-treats. I assume carrot sticks are appropriate but will not feed them if asked ot not touch the cows. Might put it in a feed bucket though.

So - what makes a good cow treat????

ps: We go to the horse barn the following thursday! Hooray!

"And speaking of Italy and sports cars that I stole there, you still owe me a yellow Porsche." Alice Cullen
OSUJillyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:49 PM  
Bombproof Member

I've given mine carrots, apples, people cookies, sugar cubes, bread stuff like that. They can pretty well eat anything, but be sure to ask for permisson first! I look forward to seeing pics!
Old 09-16-2006, 08:53 PM  
Kid Safe

I don't know about beef cattle, but I have seen dairy cows getting expired candy as feed. I would imagine just about anything a horse would like as a treat would make a steer happy as well. I'd say your best bet would be made of something already likely to be in their diet, like alfalfa cubes.

Most meat producers are very careful not to become emotionaly attached to thier production livestock, especially individual animals (even if they are emotionally involved with the business as a whole) Steers are a crop (or the pigs, or the chickens, etc. ) I can't say I blame them. Treats aren't usually part of thier program. I've often wondered if this habbit was part of the reason many ranchers don't give thier horses treats.

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:12 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via AIM to OSUJillyBean
Beef cattle barn was mostly devoid of cows. Apparently cows spend all day grazing in the field. I guess that makes sense.

They had a few show bulls in the barn (black and fuzzy - no idea on the breed). I didn't know this either but they actually put those metal rings through their nostrils! No one explained what they were for.

I have decided it is either to make them look tough or to impress the girl-cows.

"And speaking of Italy and sports cars that I stole there, you still owe me a yellow Porsche." Alice Cullen
OSUJillyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:39 AM  
Pasture Pet

Yes, back in 134 BCE nose rings for bulls or oxen were first thought of as a touch of macho jewelry and were usually adorned with rubies and emeralds, but only for the wealthy, for obvious reasons. Then much later Sept 4, 1963, it was noticed that the nose ring was a good handle for moving the cattle where they didn't want to go since a twine-string around their neck kept breaking and left the handler face down in a cow flop.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:48 PM  
Kid Safe

I was once told that the rings were put in to keep the bulls and oxen from rooting up thier pastures. They put them in pig noses for the same reason.

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal