Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2006, 06:38 PM  
Coming two

4 day old calf with blood in stool - HELP!

Please help! My friend just got a 3 day old jersey bull calf yesterday.

Here's the scoop:

She was told, when she purchased the calf, that he ate 4 pints of colostrum yesterday at noon. He didn't want to eat at all last night. Today he has scours or diarreah. She was able to get him to drink 2.5 pints of electrolytes. Now he has fresh blood in his stool. As I was talking to her, he was sucking on her jeans, and acting very hungry. She also said that he's very active, not tired or lethargic at all... She went to go feed him...

What can she do for this baby? What does he need? Can anyone help?
Promise Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:53 PM  
Kid Safe

blood in stool

I'm the friend, I admit it! This little guy is going to make me more gray than I already am! Dani posted all the pertinent information. I did give him electrolyte stuff, 2.5 pints, at noon. Now the poop is more jelly like. Tonight, I gave him 2 quarts of Substimilk's Scour-lac - it has neomycin and oxytetracycline in it.

I'm calling the vet in the morning....

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:35 PM  
Bombproof Member

I PM'd you!
Old 06-01-2006, 04:59 AM  
Long Yearling

4- day old calf with blood in stool

So whats the verdict on the calf this morning?

Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
stormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:43 AM  
Kid Safe

calf

What a difference a day makes! He's up and eating like a horse. He had two more quarts of the medicated milk and I'll follow the directions and give him two more quarts tonight. He wanted more! He must learn not to butt into me, though, much bigger and I WILL fall down. Poops is dark yellow/orange and he only had one poop last night with blood in it. No more poops until this morning and it was pretty normal, not liquidy and no blood! Yay! AND, it smells like poop! Those of you who have had animals that scour, no matter what the species, know what I mean. Scours has a distinctive odor....

Go Frothy!

Thank you for all your help and support...I was scared for the little guy. The dairy was kind of a frightening place. He was in a little pen, about two feet across and about three feet long, no room to turn around in it. It was covered with a plywood board. Since she had like 25 calves out there, I understand it logically, but to bring him home and see him learn how to walk at 3 days old was sad for me. And no, she doesn't sell her heifers...only the bull calves - the by-product.

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

Old 06-01-2006, 08:48 AM  
Bombproof Member

Well, I don't understand it logically - the dairies I have been to here are more humane with their treatment of their calves, and they have at least enough room to walk around a bit.

I am glad that Frothy is doing so much better today! He is a cute little guy!

Is he destined to be dinner someday?

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:52 AM  
Started

Send a message via MSN to Sassy
Sorry to hear about your little calf. I sure hope he is ok. I am no cow expert so all I can offer is a prayer that he is fine!
Old 06-01-2006, 08:54 AM  
Seasoned

Glad to hear the little guy is picking up. I've never been to a Dairy farm-maybe that's a good thing.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:10 AM  
Kid Safe

dairy

Orchid, I did not like this place one bit! I logically understood it because she had at least 25 calves she was bottle feeding. They all had a bottle holder over the fence and she could just put the bottle in and go. The "cages" were at least clean. It wasn't just the really young ones either, there were some month olds in there, too. I'm sure she keeps them in there until they are weaned. She was NOT an animal person. The older cows had little huts...and I mean LITTLE! I was kind of horrified to say the least.

It's like the auction, I can understand logically why animals end up there. Emotionally, it takes a lot out of me.

Frothy is destined for either eating or selling. The woman said that Jersey's make good eating. We'll see. I'm getting better, I mean, I ate one of my chickens without throwing up! I'm getting a good perspective. I know that animals raised here have had a good life and I know what I'm getting out of the deal. My husband is off to find a heifer I can bond with this weekend.

Old 06-01-2006, 09:19 AM  
Bombproof Member

Glad Frothy is coming on around.
Congrats on getting a handle on it.

Actually going on 6 years
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:29 AM  
Coming two

I’m glad that your calf is ok! Great job handling the situation!!!

A lot of people would be shocked if they saw half the things that go on at dairy farms. You have to remember that to *most* of these dairy farmers, this is how they make a living and their animals are just that, animals. These are not their pets; they are a source of income. It is very unfortunate but this is how things are.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:41 AM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drafty
I’m glad that your calf is ok! Great job handling the situation!!!

A lot of people would be shocked if they saw half the things that go on at dairy farms. You have to remember that to *most* of these dairy farmers, this is how they make a living and their animals are just that, animals. These are not their pets; they are a source of income. It is very unfortunate but this is how things are.
Oh, I understand they are not pets, don't get me wrong. I like beef as much as anyone else! I just feel that all animals deserve the basic freedom of bodily movement, even if it is limited.

But, back on topic! Good luck finding a heifer, Range!

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:30 AM  
Coming two

Oh I agree with you Orchid! I was just saying!
Old 06-01-2006, 10:31 AM  
Bombproof Member

Glad to hear the little guy is doing well. Just keep him hydrated and get him eating solids and you'll be just fine.

I'm sorry to hear he came from such a awful dairy farm. All the farms I deal with have nice, big, roomy pens and they have fans that blow on them and keep them all cool. They have room to run and play too. Guess what I'm saying is that not all dairy farms are bad, it all comes down to the people and how they raise them. If you look after you livestock they'll grow to be big, strong, happy and healthy. If you don't look after them don't expect them to live too long.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:06 PM  
Kid Safe

calf

See, that's where I can justify raising my own meat and eating it. When we had Charlotte last year, she was happy and healthy and didn't have anything unnatural done to her. So, when it was time, I could be assured she'd had a good life. The same can be said of Frothy, he has room to run and play and enjoy his life. This woman was the type that is in it for the money and the business. She even said she didn't like animals and was meant to live in the city. But, she married a dairy farmer...go figure!

I just have to tell you, this little guy cracks me up! I had to get him to eat from the bottle by standing over him and holding his head up. So now, when he's hungry, he comes stands underneath me. It's time to train that out of him! He's not going to be little for the entire time he eats from a bottle. Actually, after we get through the first week, I'll teach him to eat from his bottle from a holder. Lots safer with lots less head butting. Solid foods coming up!

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal