Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012, 11:56 PM  
Coming two

Rooster and peeps

The chicks are 4 weeks old now. I put them into the transitional pen, which is inside the main chicken run. It is made of 2 X 4 fencing that has the holes enlarged along the bottom so the young birds can run in and out, but the mature birds cannot get in. That way the babies have their grower feed enclosed in their own pen, and have a safe place until they can hold their own with the older ones. I was worried about how the rooster would react to them - like maybe he would try to kill them. What happened was surprising....

The babies started coming out of their pen to check out some scratch I had thrown down for the older birds. Not having any experience with the big birds, they had no idea that the big ones could hurt them. Half a dozen of them gathered around the rooster who was calling to them like he does to the hens when he finds something good to eat. It was really, really cute...... he was just watching them very carefully as they pecked around him. Then a hen came into the circle and pecked a chick. The rooster immediately turned around and pecked that hen - hard! He was protecting his little babies from the hen! I watched for a long time to be sure the babies understood that they could run back inside their safety pen, and the rooster never once threatened them. The hens tried to peck them often, but the rooster was not at all aggressive toward them. I just think it was so interesting how he just adopted them right off the bat and called them to food. What a good daddy!

Sweet Dixie, always a part of my heart
DixieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:28 AM  
Kid Safe

My black star rooster named Casanova was like that with my brooder chicks. I to was surprised how he took them under his wing and claimed them as his own protecting them from the other roosters and the aggressive hens. I thought for sure he would kill the little cockerels but they got treated the same as the pullets that was until they got cocky and tried to take dad on. By then they were almost full grown.

All my chicks are still in my brooders. My free range hens refuse to use the chicken coop I bought them so I talked to hubby about making a slight modification to it to turn it into a half way house for the older chicks until they are old enough so the cats won't eat them when they free range.

Sounds like you picked a good rooster for your flock.

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal