Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2011, 10:26 AM  
Long Yearling

Send a message via MSN to islander
weiner pigs

am thinking about raising 2 weiner pigs this year for meat but have not done this before.
who has tips and or advice for me? everything from feed right on up.

they will be in with my goats and potbelly for now-unless that doesnt work then will rearrange things but the goats are all used to differeent critters so we should be okay there and they have a huge run in and attached run so plenty of room there
Old 03-27-2011, 12:35 PM  
Long Yearling

so i just ordered 3 yorkshire female weiners to pick up easter wknd.....
Old 03-27-2011, 07:53 PM  
Kid Safe

Pigs can be very agressive I'd not put them in with the goats. Other than that hope they work out well, we would like to get a few to raise for ourselves but don't have a place to put them right now. I moved the yearling doe kids into the pig pen and Iam not moving them out.
Karen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:03 AM  
Long Yearling

That's strange Karen, because we just butchered the two pigs that were living with the goats. I bought them in August at an auction around 15 lbs and they were well over 300 last weekend.

I am a casual type person, don't like to pen things up, so this is how I did it. The first few weeks, the little piggies lived in a pen in the barn. Then we moved them to my stud pen, until the stallion figured out how to get into the piggies feeder and ate all their food. Other than that they got along great.

I then trained them to go down into the goat barn for bed time, as it was getting pretty cold by now. They would build a pretty awesome nest, the little goats would sleep on top of them and then in the morning before the pigs got up, would jump from pig to pig like a trampoline. It was too funny to watch.

I would call the piggies and they would come up into the other part of the barn or outside to the grainery for breakfast. I fed them UFA hog grower and then some oats. They weren't really fond of the barley. After breakfast they would retire to the hay bale that I use to feed my other studs. After a nice nap, they would stand by the door to go back down to the goat pen for a drink of water, then off to bed with the goats.

We just loved having them, they were friendly and would follow us around the yard. However, all good things must come to an end, and as soon as kidding started, well the pigs had to go. Other than the fact that they weight 300lbs, don't leave pigs in a goat pen at kidding time as they will eat the newborn babies. Mine didn't, but I didn't give them the chance either.

I think part of why this worked for me was I fed them seperatly from the goats, but that was because the goats would eat all their food. The pigs learned their routinde easily, very smart animal. Just don't try and chase or herd them, I taught mine to follow me. They followed me all the way into the trailer to their doom.

We are really pleased with the meat, can't compare to the store bought stuff, and I like knowing that my pigs had a good, piggy life, fresh air, clean surroundings able to follow their instincts..........
Chrystalstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:25 PM  
Long Yearling

my goats are just pets thus no kids, they already live with 3 sheep (leaving soon) and my potbelly pig so are used to the pig and frankly it is the pig that needs to worry lol.

they have a huge run 30x200 approx and a 20x20 run in with several 'boxes' inside for them to get in to--they can come and go as they wish-there is no door/gate to the run.

they will get fed separately also for the same reason as crystalstar, but have learned that if u feed the goats at the end of the run first, the pig gets to eat inside the run in before the goats have figured out that there is food there too lol.

so these 3 and the potbelly will get fed alone for now, may need to adjust that later so the potbelly gets fed too lol.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:30 PM  
Coming two

I don't have any advice but what is a weiner pig?
Old 03-28-2011, 08:35 PM  
Started

I wondered myself until I realized that we were talking about weaner pigs here.

We have a weiner dog. Now if you crossed him with a pot-bellied pig, what would you get?
theoldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:15 PM  
Long Yearling

oops--lol seen them advertised here in several places as weiner--didnt know it was weaner lol--told you i was new to this
Old 03-29-2011, 04:05 AM  
Kid Safe

Chyrstalstar Iam really glad your pigs and goats got along but yes they can be very agressive animals and we choose not to mix species. Iam glad it worked out for you, it doesn't always. I know there are alot of people on this list and others that mix horses/goats, I would never condone that either. I fixed one broken leg because of a weanling goat going through a pipe gate, really don't want to fix another. It's just a choice here and OP asked,
theonly other animal allowed in our goat pen is the Great Pyr. dogs and they are bred specifically to protect the goats.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:26 AM  
Long Yearling

I think part of why it worked for me was they weren't fed together and the pigs did not spend their whole day in the goat pen. Also, I have LOTS of room. My barn is huge, and I got rid of the pigs before kidding. That would have been a disaster.

I fully agree about the horses. And cattle with goats. I've run across too many people who try and mix these large animals with small goats and let's face it, the goats are going to lose every time.

The only time I put goats with a horse was my bucks with my old stallion. My stud had absolutly no food issues and enjoyed the company.

I was just saying it can be done, but in a very managed, controlled way. I do find it strange that you say pigs are very agressive?? We used to raise pigs and I never found that so? Their squealing can be a little unnerving at first as they act like you are killing them. A sow with babies can be dangerous, but so can any new mom. We always made pets out them all, and they were very good about coming up for tummy scratches and rubs.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:36 PM  
Kid Safe

I just said pigs can be, for me it's not worth the risk fed together or not. I have seen some nasty pig fights even if it's not feeding time. Iam glad it works for you though and really hope you continue to have no issues. For us though it will stay horses in one pen, goats in one pen, calves in one pen and pigs to thier own pen. Besides safty issues that may come up Iam nurotic I could not deal with mixing animals.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:47 PM  
Greenbroke Member

We have raised numerous pigs and have had them both ways. Some were very quiet friendly critters and others would just as soon bite you as look at you. They were all raised the same, so it had to be genetics. My Dad had a sow, years ago, that would take your leg off if you messed with her.

It is way better than the stuff from the store though. We fed ours a barley/corn mix with a couple flakes of alfalfa for a treat. If we had milk left from the house we would feed that to the pigs as well. They loved it!!! We had our own cow at the time so milk was cheap.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:01 PM  
Long Yearling

Hi Karen- no worries now, they are in the freezer LOL
Old 03-29-2011, 05:47 PM  
Coming two

Weaner---now that makes sense! I wish all of you were near. I'd love to buy half a pig.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:40 PM  
Bombproof Member

Dont name them My advise !!

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:09 PM  
Halter broke

They do well with being "grueled" about 4 times a day when they are that small. I'm talking 4-12 lbs small to technically be a "weaner" pig anything bigger say, 15-40 lbs are "feeder" pigs and they can be fed normally. We mix the dry pig starter with water either warm or cold to an oatmeal like consistancy since some have a harder time than others switching from being nursed to just eating dry feed and drinking water. Don't mix anymore than they can eat in 20-30 mins. They also will need a heat or brooder lamp 24/7 for about 6 weeks until they can regulate body temp better plus having only 2 won't create enough BTU of body heat to keep them warm enough.

We have anywhere from 5000-15000 head at any one time, yes in confinements, but I deal with them on a daily basis as that is my job. I always tell people I have 5003 kids, my son, my daughter, my husband, aaand 5000 wean pigs. Love em they're so much fun.

Not sure how you feel about vacc. and antibiotics or anything, totally understand about wanting them to be as clean and healthy as possible, I refuse to eat pork because of working with them everyday from a few weeks old to 330# market hogs both in a hog barn and in an outdoor small farm setting. But there are some things that could arise and then meds can't be avoided. I can help with that if it comes up.

They are very cannibalistic by nature, if their tails have not been docked already when you get them, watch for "tail biting", they will chew it right down to the spine and paralyze a pig, there are things that can be done, sprays do deter the chewing, docking the tail, etc. As well as should one get hurt and have open flesh, they will not leave it alone, a down pig usually ends up becoming a dead pig. Feel free to ask any specific questions as there is way more info I could give you but it would take forever.

SirPocoBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:56 AM  
Long Yearling

oh, and make sure that if you are getting a boy, he's been fixed! nothing worse than a boar running around.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:43 PM  
Kid Safe

I see no one has mentioned that they love to rut. They have very strong snouts and can tear up a concrete floor. They can wreck a pasture as they love to tear up the sod looking for tasty roots and grubbing for worms.

Pigs should not be fed meat scraps but they can eat veg scraps from the garden.

You need strong fencing or an electric fence to keep them in. Chain link isn't a good fencing.

Mine loved to play under the hose on a hot day and to hide under a pile of hay on a chilly night. They were a lot of fun, much like having a puppy that went oink! I grew to attached to mine and couldn't eat them so I sold them.

I wish you much success in raising your own pork.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:51 PM  
Long Yearling

they're home

Old 04-08-2011, 06:12 PM  
Long Yearling

They're so cute!! I love baby pigs.

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal