Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2009, 10:21 PM  
Yearling Member

Goats with horses?

For those of you that have, or have had, goats and horses- have you ever kept them together? I know this may seem like a ridiculous question, but Hayleigh and I went to a friend's farm today to see her newest mini foal (sorry, no pics as of yet...but soon!) and Hayleigh fell in love with two kids! My friend offered to let us take them home, these were oops babies! She raises miniature horses and keeps the goats in with them on about 6 acres during the day with no problems. My concern is that we have a 16h TB, a 15h QH, and only one mini and these are small goats- approximately 15 pounds at three weeks old. Our neighbor has about 20 large goats in with his two 15h QH, with no problems whatsoever- not even during kidding season, on less acreage than we have, but his goats seem larger than these will be. Our horses are out 24/7 with barn access. Any thoughts on how these species would fare together under these circumstances? Please feel free to ask any questions as I am new to the goat community and may have left critical details out!
Old 04-10-2009, 10:29 PM  
Weanling Member

I think it depends on the individual horse. Some horses like them some dont. i used to have a mini mare that would, if given the chance, run down my goat and try to trample her obviously they were seperated. However that same goat is now my mini stallions best friend. I personally wouldnt put my goat in with my bigger horses just because they are so much bigger than she is. Even though shes a nubian i just dont trust them together. That probably didnt help too much but i hope it helped out a little, and good luck with the goaties =]
stroke_932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:40 PM  
Newborn Member

i have 5 goats that live with my 2 donkeys and they're fine together. i have a 6 yr old part arab and i tried putting the goats in with him and my horse chased them like crazy and even bit one of them! my horse is very friendly and curious but way too big to be playing with goats! i would definately NOT put little baby goats in with horses. they could get seriously injured or killed, even by accident. goats make awesome pets so if you want them as pets and have a safe separate area for them, go for it. but if their only place is with the horses i would introduce them very gradually over time and see how it goes. or at least see if the person giving you the goats would take them back if it doesn't work out. also, goats can escape from most fences so it has to be the right fencing they're kept in. by the way, goats can live up to 14 years. something to think about....
sharlene bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:18 AM  
Kid Safe

I wouldn't do it but then some of our horses are cowy and would chase them others just don't like little furries and would kill them.

Karen
Karen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:36 AM  
Halter broke

Just depends on the horse. When I was a child I had only one horse and we kept a goat with her for company, they were the best of friends. But i have also owned a dominant horse who would try to kick or stomp anything that was smaller than him!!!
kytrailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:28 AM  
Started

My horses are with Uno the goat and i have to rotate the goat because the horses get jealuos when he isn't around. and he (Uno) thinks he is a goat. He runs with them when they are in the pasture.

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.
flexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:07 PM  
Kid Safe

My minis are in with my goats, but they have been with them since they were foals. The goats know to get out of the way when they're rampaging and have a hut the minis can't get into.

I can't turn them with the big 'uns, though. My boys are too cowy and the donkey likes to chase them. Just one strike and the goat would be very hurt.

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:27 PM  
Started

I also keep a goat with my 2 ponies.
They get along great. When the ponies get
to rough, he has a place to get out of the way.
And I agree it depends of the horses.
Clyde and jack have been together since both were
about 6 months old. They both turned 3 this spring.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:01 PM  
Yearling Member

I've always had my goats seperate from the horses. Just because my fences don't hold the goats in and occasionally the horses would stand next to the goat pen and the goats would reach through and chew my horses tails off. I didn't like stubby tails.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:06 PM  
Bombproof Member

I hope you aren't planning on taking home 3 week old kids as they need to be with their mother for 6 months.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:41 PM  
Yearling Member

I am not planning to take these goats now, I understand that they must be weaned before leaving...these are semi-bottle babies, however I am not prepared to bring home two frisky little critters tomorrow. I asked your opinions because I want to make a well-rounded, solid decision. I also know that goats do live for a significant period of time and am perfectly content with keeping them for a number of years. I am in the process of researching various goat behaviors, required veterinary care, and required nutritional needs to ensure that I make the best decision possible. But generally, when it comes to animals, I have found that the best input comes straight from the horse's mouth...so to speak! Thanks for your thoughts so far!
Old 04-11-2009, 08:09 PM  
Seasoned

When I was growing up we had 2 ponies, a hot Arab and 2 large goats all fenced together. They were just one big happy herd. Where the horses went....the goats went and vice versa. That was nice when you wanted them to come up from the lower field, but not as nice when you wanted to go riding. They didn't have any issues getting along.

Where I board the BO was saying they used to have pygmy goats that were sort of fenced in with the horses. I say sort of because they were always out of their fence and pretty much just wandered the property. They seemed to get along with the horses except when the stallion decided enough was enough and picked one up and tossed it off the hay bale.
Mav2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:15 PM  
Weanling Member

I have two very fat, 5 year old pygmy goats that have been living with my horses every since they were kids. Well at first they had a separate pen, but as you said, no fence can hold them in, so now they just go wherever they want. I think the goats are way more attached to the horses than vice versa, but the horses also don't bother them. Everybody gets along just fine.
shahmeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:23 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Back when I had goats they sometimes stayed in the same pasture as my laid back horse/pony. We had one old pony that started to lose a substantial amount of weight and we finally realized the goat was sticking her head in the pony's bucket and eating most of her grain. After that, we had to separate and get the pony's weight back up. Other than that, no problems. One good thing about the goats is they eat the "garbage grass" and now that we no longer have them---our pasture has weeds!

Peace!! I wish the people of the world could get along as well as the animals in my backyard.
crittermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:09 AM  
Halter broke

Goat bucklings should be weaned at THREE months or they may start breeding mom or others. I leave my doelings on the dam till 5 months.

We have meat goats. When there are no babies, we put them out with the horses. When we have kids, we do not for fear they may get hurt. The thing is, if the horses start running, the goats start running. Then we have 6 horses and 10 goats running together and a small goat could easily get trampled. I don't think I would put dwarf goats in with horses.
Katemary63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:05 PM  
Yearling Member

Pay close attention to Horsemom4's comment.... goats will chew a horse's tail right off overnight. I'm not saying they all will chew tails, but if one does, you probably won't get much warning to separate them. One day your horse will have a tail, the next day, he won't. Good luck in whatever you decide!
Tobiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:22 PM  
Amy
Yearling Member

I had my goat kid wander into the horse pasture, ended upwith a broken leg and significant vet bills. Not worth it, in my opinion. Now the goats have their owqn pen that they are let out of only under close supervision.
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:51 PM  
Kid Safe

I introduced a goat to my herd last summer. After the initial shock wore off , the horses were ok with her. Even caught her one time raming one of the boarders horses, goat was playing, horse......was not

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but becase of the people who do nothing about it.~Albert Einstein
paso_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:49 AM  
Coming two

I'm going to have to reiterate that it depends on the horse(s).

We had a huge TB gelding that would let the goaties hide under him for shelter when it rained. That's a stark contrast to my Arab/QH gelding that would most certainly kill a goat, if given the chance. Running them down, teeth bared, ears pinned, stomping for all he's worth...
Promise Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:38 AM  
Started

I fell in love with a LaMancha kid at the county fair, and didn't even think about what I was going to do with him before taking him to the boarding barn!

We tried putting him with the pygmy goat on site, and that goat said no, I'm a horse, I live with horses, go away goat.

So I built a pen in front of my horse's stall and paid $20 a month board on the goat.

My gelding was really jealous of the goat, and would play mean tricks on him (like using his fat head to slam the pen gate onto the goat as he walked through)

The goat got so large that I took him to a friend's barn, and he was turned out with their one goat and horses. They never chewed tails, and they got along great with the horses. Those horses only had their first goat for 2 years. My goat "Peanut" adjusted really well to everything.

But my horse, said no goat, he was jealous of the goat and how he got to run around with the humans and didn't have to stay tied up, locked up, or put out in the pasture.

If the horse was turned out and we had the goat with us at the picnic tables, my horse was hollaring his fool head off at the pasture gate. But he didn't want the goat... he wasn't being "goat sour".

The only time he liked the company was when the goat went with us on trail rides with the dog too.

So to sum this up, be prepared to house the goats seperately if you decide to get them, in case one of the horses has jealousy or hate issues. Or tail chewing, or fence climbing, or whatever goat trouble they could potentially find.

"The more people I meet the more I love my German Shepherd"
mandelyn82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal