Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2008, 09:39 PM  
Weanling Member

My dog hurt his back...

and is now on cage rest for 6-8 weeks. I got home this evening and he was acting kind of stiff and slow and initially I thought he'd just had a busy day of wandering around the house. After keeping an eye on him for a time I noticed that it was getting no better. I put my hand on his mid back area and could feel some obvious heat. I of course paniked and called my vet and took him in on emergency.

They did x-rays and they show that he herniated two of the discs in his back. He can't have surgery because he's still got feeling, which is good, but that leave the only option as steriod treatment and cage rest.

I'm a nervous wreck about this and have finally calmed down enough to post about it. I do love this dog dearly.
ScootinAlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:43 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HorseLovinLady
I'm sorry your dog got hurt, I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers. I hope he has a speedy and full recovery!
Old 06-17-2008, 09:46 PM  
Yearling Member

Hate to hear this about your dog...Sending postive healing wishes your way.
doxies13isenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:05 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Sorry to hear about your dog. what kind is he? I know long backed dogs often have back problems. Hope he recovers quickly.
BabyMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:21 AM  
Long Yearling

Unhappy

I have 2 Dachshunds and back injury is something that's always in the back of my mind. I'll keep your pup in my thoughts and prayers. Poor baby!!
HorseLVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:27 AM  
Coming two

Send a message via AIM to Jess6092
AWW I am so sorry your boy is not feeling well. Back injuries are scary. I know from experience.

I have a Lab and a JRT that both have had back problems - although not to the herniating disk extent. They both were on some strong meds, low activity, and leash walking for bathroom and were fine within a few weeks.

Sending both of your prayers, it is hard to see them going through the pain, but I found with mine they really appreciate if you just sit and pet them and relax with them.
Jess6092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:36 AM  
Bombproof Member

Sending along my thoughts and healing prayers for you pup.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:38 AM  
Pasture Pet

Poor baby - prayers from here as well..

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:44 AM  
Long Yearling

Prayers for your beloved puppy (what is his name?).

I had a spaniel with back issues...the hardest part with her was to keep her quiet.

Glad you noticed the issue and took care of the problem right away.

Knowing the breed helps and the easiest way to do that is to post pictures of him

It is sooooo hard to have a beloved critter hurting...we are here to help ((((hugs))))

Please keep us updated.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:01 AM  
Weanling Member

Thanks for the support. I'm really bummed out by this whole thing. Jake is my little buddy and it's already weird not having him out and about helping with chores.

He doesn't appreciate the cage rest but gets lots of love and attention. Ginger, my other dog, already seems to notice something is strange. She's an outside dog and I might have to bring her in so she can visit him in his cage and see that he's still here.

He's a doxie mix and has the doxie build with the back. The vet said it looked like he might have had back problems before this one but they werent bad enough that we noticed any change in him. Poor guy.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:05 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via AIM to Crookedblaze
Awww pooor baby. I hope tat he gets better.

We had an Aussie Shepherd mix that herniated a disk and with steroids she got better.

Four things greater than all things are...Women and Horses and Power and War -Rudyard Kipling
Crookedblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:12 PM  
Weanling Member

An update--Obviosly still on cage rest and will be for a quite a while. He's still showing response to pain in both legs which is good and his spirits are still high. He's on steroids for a couple of more days and then we just wait it out I guess.

I brought Ginger in to visit him this morning and she seems much more relaxed outside now. It's weird how they sense when things are off in their little worlds.

I've been doing tons of laundry because he lost control of bladder/bowel functions--lucky for me we've got a second hand store close by that had tones for cheap bedding for me to use.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:05 AM  
Kid Safe

This hits close to home as Olive was trampled by my mini horse last weekend. I'm still having a hard time dealing with it. It's not easy seeing one's buddy in pain. In a way I'm glad to know I'm not the only one going through this.

With Olive I'm watching her like a hawk. She wants to be with her puppies so bad but I can't chance their need for play, they could seriously hurt their mom. I think the other dogs new she is hurt. Even the kitten is very loving and affectionate. I can see Olive cringe when she sees the kitten coming.

Prayers sent that Jake will be up and about and back to his old routine in no time. In the meantime no stairs or jumping on/off furniture.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:03 PM  
Weanling Member

Farmer, I'm so sorry about your Olive. Does she have a back injury also? I imagine that getting trampled by a mini could do much more serious damage.

Still nothing new with Jake. He's finished with his steriods now and is on antibiotics for a couple more days. The only time he gets to move about is when he goes out to the bathroom. I may stop taking him out to save some moving since he doesn't have control of his bladder right now. I've gone through several packages of puppy pads and about 40 loads of laundry. He's in a small wire crate and will stay crated for 6-7 weeks on vet advice.

My advice to anyone with a small dog--buy steps or ramps so they don't have to jump onto or into anything. If only I'd done that.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:05 PM  
Pasture Pet

We have a ramp for Molly just for that reason..

Poor baby.. and poor Olive.. prayers for both your sweet dogs..

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:01 PM  
Pasture Pet

I am so sorry that your baby got hurt. Praying for a quick recovery.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:45 PM  
Weanling Member

Good for you GBarM. I just never thought he'd have a problem. You know-- the it won't happen to my dog mentality? That's how it was.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:15 AM  
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootinAlong View Post
The only time he gets to move about is when he goes out to the bathroom. I may stop taking him out to save some moving since he doesn't have control of his bladder right now. I've gone through several packages of puppy pads and about 40 loads of laundry. He's in a small wire crate and will stay crated for 6-7 weeks on vet advice.

My advice to anyone with a small dog--buy steps or ramps so they don't have to jump onto or into anything. If only I'd done that.
It really bothers me to have to say this but my husband won't let me take her to the vet. He says as long as she's able to walk and go to the bathroom she'll be fine. Why pay the vet my hard earned money to tell me what I already know. He's probably right but it still would be nice to have a professional opinion. Right now I'm an emotional basket case. I've got to much crap going on in my life but that I need to save for the vent thread.

We had a family come to buy a puppy last night. Naturally they want to see the mom of the litter. Well it turns out my granddaughter knows their daughter and takes her on a tour of the farm. I happened to notice that Olive also disappeared. Turned out she fallowed the girls. I think my dog over did it as I'm back to where we started. She is in a lot of pain this morning. I can see she's not going to be allowed to give anymore farm tours for a looong time.

Have you thought of using a baby diaper? With him not having bladder control it is more absorbent then those wee wee pads. It can also help prevent urine burn. When my dog Brownie was hit by a car and paralyzed I delt with incontinence for eight months. Has any one talked to you about expressing his bladder? I'd be worried about him developing a bladder infection.

I know you want to keep him quite but do remember his emotional stability. A happy dog is a healthy dog. Let him be with you when your home. I know Olive is much happier when she can lay at my feet then she is when she has to peer out at me from behind bars. They enjoy a doggy massage it can be your quality time.

It's a long haul but just take it one day at a time.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:52 AM  
Kid Safe

Bumping this back up.

How's your guy doing today? I'm hear to report that Olive is back to her old self well almost. She still won't go up the stairs but she's wagging her tail and wanting to play. She has a smile on her face too. I still try to keep her low key but with a doggy that desires to be with mommy it's not easy to do.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:36 PM  
Weanling Member

Jake is pretty much the same. Vet says it can take months to get full use back, if it will come back at all.

I've been using a diaper on him but unfortunately he likes to dismember them when I'm not home so they don't last too long. He gets his bladder expressed every 2-3 hours and doesn't have any indications of an infection according the the latest tests. We've been keeping a close eye out for that.

I play with him as much as I can without him getting excited and trying to move around a lot. He's in his crate if i'm not home and in an x pen when I am. It's the best I can do while keeping him still.

I'm glad to hear your Olive is doing better.

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs