Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2008, 06:25 AM  
Kid Safe

Stinky Corgi

Gizmo is a comming two year old fixed male Corgi and he smells...no REAKS!!!! Like a hound dog is this normal? His ears are clean and his skin shows no sign of anything being wrong either he just has a really musky smell to him. It wouldn't be so bad but he's a house dog and our youngest son loves to lay on the ground and "fluff " him up. Last weekend when I had the flu it was really bad.

I have a package of cedar to put in his bed but wondered if there was anything else that could be done.

Thanks
Karen
Karen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:27 AM  
Started

How often does your "stinker" get a bath??
Old 03-18-2008, 06:48 AM  
Greenbroke Member

You could give him a dry bath with a little baking soda in between baths.
short_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:26 AM  
Seasoned

Send a message via Yahoo to Horses&Soccer
Or you may want to have his glands checked. Sometimes getting neutered doesn't always cure that problem with every dog. Or it could be what you are feeding him, our dog was smelly on a cheaper food.

Some days I just want to be a missing person
Horses&Soccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:00 AM  
Kid Safe

Sorry to say he's not been bathed very often.....don't ever give a dog a bath in a jacuzi tub...it ain't purdy!!!

It's not his anal glands, having worked for a vet I know that smell and thankfully thats not the issue.

We'll try the baking soda to see if that works he can't have a bath outside right now, we live in Michigan and its' far to cold.

Cheap dog food could be the issue we use Dads I think but have used more expensive brands in the past and our dogs do much better on this brand.

Thanks
Karen
Old 03-18-2008, 08:06 AM  
Seasoned

Well, okay, try the baking soda or my Mom used to use vinegar on our dog. She'd dampen a rag and wipe the dog down with it. He smelled like a salad, but better than smelly dog. They do make dry dog shampoos too.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:05 AM  
Kid Safe

I'll try the baking soda first then the vinegar....red wine work ok? Just kidding I think I have white. Maybe if I put it in a spray bottle Levi can work it into his coat...mmmmmmm Corgi salad

Rotten little dog anyway.
Karen
Old 03-18-2008, 09:15 AM  
Yearling Member

We have 2 neutered corgis. For the most part they don't smell bad. Just normal doggy smell, but you can tell when they are in need of a bath. I don't bathe mine at home anymore. LOL I pay someone to do it. With them being double coated it takes them FOREVER to air dry. Plus ours shed and they blow out their coat after their baths so I don't have as much loose fur around. LOL We generally get ours done 3 to 4 times a year whether they need it or not and it seems to keep them pretty clean and smelling fresh.

Hope that helps.

Of course most of this advice is null and void without pictures so that we can properly assess the issue.
Horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:29 AM  
Seasoned

Oh, yeah, what horsemom said, we would have to have pictures to properly diagnose the problem.

add a little basil to the vinegar, shake well!

Old 03-18-2008, 09:48 AM  
Started

Here in my area (Kansas City) we have a couple of U Wash Puppy places - you can go and wash and dry the dog - their water, their shampoo, towels and their dryers - for my Belgians it is about $12 a dog - so easy and leave the mess and hair there. You might check that out in your area.
alliebath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:05 AM  
Yearling Member

We have some of those too. I am pretty spoiled though it costs me about 15-20 a dog and they do it!! LOL Plus they do the nails, ears, and everything that needs to be done. I drop them off and then pick them up and they are so happy to see me!
Horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:14 PM  
Started

I use the spray bath stuff, smells like peppermint and that way I don't have to go through the whole bath process. I feed my dog a good quality food (Innova), he stays inside during the day and generally he smells pretty darn good! With the exception of farting and doggy breath, of course Man, can my dog fart...
kshnooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:21 PM  
Bombproof Member

We either take our basset hound in to the groomer or bathe her at home once a month - otherwise the smell makes you want to NOT pet her. It's only $26 to take her to the groomer and well worth it IMO!

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:29 PM  
Started

Send a message via MSN to Sassy
Hum could it be a bred trait?? Haw haw haw, we have a corgi ****zu cross and she is smelly to. We bathe her ok honestly every 3-4 mths ... She is a house dog healthy as far as we know and still she has this smell!!!
Old 03-18-2008, 01:47 PM  
Pasture Pet

I do not think it is a breed trait. I have two of them and they smell like dogs.

I do not bathe, they just get wet outside and I dry them off when they come in.
As boys, perhaps he is wetting himself instead of a tree????????
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:59 PM  
Yearling Member

Aw, no, it's not a breed trait. Mine smell like dog, but not as heavy as the Shepherds do. The first thing that popped into my mind was a low-grade yeast infection of his ears perhaps or his skin, but you said everything was fine there.

Honestly, that double coat can trap a lot of odor, especially during the shedding season. I'd brush him a little more often to move those coat oils around so they don't pool and get rancid, and maybe buy yourself a spray on dog shampoo and really work it into his coat and then brush him out again.

Barring that, Corgi salad sounds pretty tasty! (Personally, I've always told my crew that they kinda resemble rump-roasts, so don't push their luck, yum. )
Old 03-18-2008, 05:39 PM  
Kid Safe

Perhaps he's been hanging around the hounds to long and it's his way of being a hound?

Right now he's just gonna have to wait and we'll have to deal with the smell. I worked all day, got a call Fancy (Nubian doe) had twins husband had to pull no big deal he's been home all afternoon....don't ask he says. My guess would be somebody whose horse hasn't been trimmed in 6 months really didn't need a trim so they decided to send him home. With gas at $3.30 a gallon you'd think they could pick up the phone to call but no most can't seem to unless they have a show and need shoes tomorrow...sorry to rant. After his call, I get home get the bottle started (we want to sell the doe and keep the kids so they needed colostrum) just as I get a bottle going I get an ER call. Mini doe can feel feet and nose but nothing is budging, I finish the bottle double check for more new kids and hit the road. I got almost there and got a garbled call but couldn't tell for sure what was going on, they had gotten the kid half out when I got there mom and baby are doing well. And even better as pmnt for driving out I got a great walking stick!!!!

I just walked in the door, got dinner going and need to do chores so while the Stink Pup was high on the list of things to do he has gotten moved down just a little...tell you good thing the rotten little dog is cute or he'd get thrown away like rotten trash. Worst thing is I got the little ingrate for me but he is a one person dog and loves my youngest, he likes me and our oldest son and hates my husband. Not sure why hes' never been mean to him he came that way at 14 weeks.

Anyway, my rice is boiling I'll see if I have a photo of Levi and Gizmo and try to post.

Thanks for the advice
Karen
Old 03-18-2008, 06:45 PM  
Started

****zu

Sorry I just had to try it to see why the *s appeared

Perhaps we with EDS are like race horses - one of the old traditions was to 'handicap' the greatest horses so that they would not run away from the pack. They would pile on lead weights, whatever was needed to get up to the amount of weight the handicapper said they should carry. We're handicapped because otherwise the world could not keep up with us
Iwasbornonahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:10 AM  
Yearling Member

I just got this email of home remedies.
this was one of them.

Rainy day cure for dog odor. Next time your dog comes in from the rain, simply wipe down the animal with Bounce or any dryer sheet, instantly making your dog smell springtime fresh.
doxies13isenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:20 AM  
Seasoned

Well, have you tried anything yet? What worked? Just curious.

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs