Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2007, 04:49 PM  
Weanling Member

My dog had puppies 4 days apart??!

My American Bulldog had 3 puppies sunday and then 6 more on thursday night and 2 on friday. Anybody ever heard of this??? The first 3 died. This was my first litter with her ( her second ) and I think I had her stressed. The others she had on her own without me around and they are fine.

Last edited by odie : 09-29-2007 at 06:08 PM.
odie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:06 PM  
Seasoned

Get her to a vet.
wildcat180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:11 PM  
Pasture Pet

Yikes! Definitely get her to a vet!
Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:21 PM  
Weanling Member

Lots will disagree with me but she is doing well and her pups are doing well. She is not in pain or stressed. For this reason I do not want to disturb her and her pups by loading them all up and driving an hour to the vet. I will keep an eye on her and see how things progress. If she starts to show any signs of distress then I will take her in.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:34 PM  
Started

Send a message via MSN to DustyTrailsHorseRescue
I would get her to a vet to make sure there aren't any more ...
Old 09-29-2007, 05:45 PM  
Seasoned

If there's still a puppy in her, by waiting you could be causing irreversible damage to her. You've already lost three pups and you're not concerned enough to get the dog to the vet because they're comfortable?! Sorry, but if this were my dog, she would've been loaded up after the first three died.

Carri works for a vet and she's told you to go.

There IS cause for concern here...
Old 09-29-2007, 05:52 PM  
Seasoned

I guessing the first three were premei's and that is why they died she went into labor to early. My dog did have her litter and had a few then waited and had a few and had her last one a day later. It almost died but I gave it extra TLC and she lived. If there are more in her they may have been on her last breeding day and still need more time to mature.

You could take her in and have her paltated. If there are more the vet may give a shot to induce labor or may let her be and see what happens if she is showing no signs of distress.

Izzy my walking dream!!!
cook1745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:59 PM  
Pasture Pet

On Thursday of this week, we saw someone with the same situation. A client came in, her dog had a puppy on Monday. On Wednesday morning, she had another one, and seemed fine and did not seem distressed, even though the second puppy was born dead. By Thursday afternoon, the poor momma dog was so sick she could not be saved. There was another puppy in the birth canal that had died, and momma died too.
If the owners had brought the dog in when they knew the dog had the first puppy and still had 2 more to go (we had done x-rays the previous week, we knew there were 3), there is a possibility that the two that died would have lived, and almost certainly mom would not have died.
I am not telling you to go and cavelierly spend your money, but there is a very real possibility that something could be wrong. If there is a puppy stuck, you may lose the momma. The stress of taking her to the vet will not hurt her, people do it all the time.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:07 PM  
Weanling Member

Whoa there...the first two were born very week and the third one mom crushed. When she stopped her labour we could see pups still wiggling in her tummy. I called my friend that has a registered kennel. She came over and checked the pups and said that they probably would not live because their lungs did not seem to be developed properly. She was right they died within a couple of hours. She checked moms canal and it was free. Said what the one poster did that she went in too early. My friend has been back since the other pups were all born and checked mom and babies out. Everyone is doing fine. I was just wondering if anyone else has had such a long time in between.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:31 PM  
Pasture Pet

I am glad you had her checked and she is doing well!
I have never seen that, but just as you do, most breeders have their puppies at home, and since I don't breed, I have never seen them do that. Unfortunately, working at a vet, we most often see the less successful cases. I am sure the vet I work for would know if that was normal.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:37 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cook1745 View Post
I guessing the first three were premei's and that is why they died she went into labor to early. My dog did have her litter and had a few then waited and had a few and had her last one a day later. It almost died but I gave it extra TLC and she lived. If there are more in her they may have been on her last breeding day and still need more time to mature.

You could take her in and have her paltated. If there are more the vet may give a shot to induce labor or may let her be and see what happens if she is showing no signs of distress.

Um, no the first puppies born were not premies. Or should I say, if they were then they are ALL premature. Prematurity is measured in weeks not one day.

I'm a breeder of horses, not dogs, but IMO a breeder, although has a lot of experience, is not a vet. I hope everything turns out ok.
TxHorseMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 07:04 PM  
Kid Safe

Well I have to say...no I've never heard of anyone having a successful whelping when they come days apart. My first litter the last 3 puppies were born dead. I consider you lucky. Are we going to get to see the little darlings?

Keep an eye on momma that she doesn't develop an infection.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:13 PM  
Seasoned

If you have a friend that is so trusted and knowledgeable, why did you post the question to a group of people who you don't know?

I'm glad a kennel owner is as qualified as a vet.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:28 PM  
Started

I think I would have taken the dog to the vet after the first three puppies, but Odie was only asking if anyone has heard of this before.
No, I haven't but then I don't have alot of experience with puppies. DO we get to see pictures??????

I don't regret the things I've done. I regret the things I didn't do when I had the chance.
Pony express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:37 PM  
Kid Safe

I hope she is okay, but there is definitely something wrong. That is not normal.
I would have her checked just to be sure...

"The only way to have a friend is to be one."
roberts617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:09 PM  
Weanling Member

I posted the question because my friend, that I would trust with my life let alone my dogs, has never seen this before. I was simply wondering if I have the only dog in the whole world that has done this. No need to get snotty about it. I care about my dog and like I said if she shows any signs of stress I will take her to the vet.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:24 PM  
Started

Let us know how the momma is doing in a few days (and the pups)
Old 09-29-2007, 10:30 PM  
Kid Safe

I wasn't trying to be snotty. I just meant that having them that far apart could have caused some problems and waiting until you see any symptoms could very well be too late for the momma. I was just giving my opinion.
I do hope that she is just fine and pups too. Keep us posted.

"The only way to have a friend is to be one."
roberts617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:54 PM  
Started

Send a message via MSN to sugarsgal
Well I have Personally had this Experience and YES she should see the vet. Moana's water broke then 24 hours later struggled with her first pup and 12 hourse later had her second and was still not right because she had 1 dead pup in her that only an xray could show. She also still had afterbirth in her and without having the c-section to remove the "Dead" pup and the plecenta, she would have died. My first time breeding as well and I have Learned from my mistakes and got her fixed.

I also had a friend the owned a "Kennel" and she couldn't even tell me what was going on and that there was still 1 dead pup to go.. Why? because she's a breeder and not a vet.

Her uterus couldn't contract on it's own causing the pups to be born at different times in a 2 day period. It's said to be a genetic thing and both her pups were fixed by their owners.

Sorry if I come off rude or snotty but I've been through it and I wish I had of taken Moana to the vet sooner. At least I only lost 1 pup and not my Moey!!

There is no such thing as an Ignorant horse, there are only Ignorant people!
sugarsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:43 AM  
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHorseMom View Post
Um, no the first puppies born were not premies. Or should I say, if they were then they are ALL premature. Prematurity is measured in weeks not one day.

I'm a breeder of horses, not dogs, but IMO a breeder, although has a lot of experience, is not a vet. I hope everything turns out ok.

The first ones were a full week early not a few days and then the others if I'm not in correct were born a few hours apart. Some that thursday night and other the next day?

Izzy my walking dream!!!
cook1745 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs