Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2007, 05:59 AM  
Long Yearling

I had a litter of pups a couple of years ago. My golden went into labor, her water broke she has contractions then nothing. I stayed up with her all night while she slept and snorred. I knew since her water had already broke we were in trouble. I took her into the vet first thing and they took her in to do a c-sec and delivered 6 healthy pups (the vet told me that they would most likely all be dead). My point is my dog never showed signs of distress but I would have lost her whole litter and most likely died herself had I not take her in. The pups were too big and her uterus was had stopped contracting. I had her spayed during the c-sec. The bill was over $300 but this was my dog and those 6 pups went on to wonderful families, one is now a therapy dog who brings joy to people everyday. When I bred my dog I was aware of the things that could go wrong and they did. But it was my responsibility to get her and the pups the care they needed. I believe this is the case with all animals. I would err on the side of caution and have her evaluated by your vet.
Congrats on your pups and I hope everything else with them goes smoothly! Would love to see pics!
reba4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:59 AM  
pvf
Bombproof Member

Sorry but your dog needs to see a vet asap. We bred dogs and there is no way that I would wait that long before going to a vet. Our vet says that if they don't have the pups every 20 minutes or so that she recomends bring the dog in.
This is what we do, I care alot about our animals and they depend on us to keep them healthy and safe. They can have perment damage and can get infections from waiting to long.

Also, I agree with TXHorsemom the first pups weren't born premature because then the whole litter is born premature.

I've worked for a vet before. plus we breed dogs. I would highly recommend you take yours to the vet before you regret it later. JMO

www.prairieviewfarms.net Raising Reg. Paints and Quarter horses
pvf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:03 AM  
Seasoned

OK, no this is not normal. Usually when it is seen, there are complications that can be life threatening...as you can see from other's posts. Experienced breeders and people in the medical community are giving you their opinions and experiences.

Whether or not you take her to the vet, just for peace of mind, is up to you. We only care about the well being of your dog. We like when puppies are born and want them to be healthy so we can see pics of them growing up.

Good luck to you and her, and those puppies. Please post pictures when you can tear yourself away long enough to get the camera.
wildcat180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:13 AM  
Coming two

To answer your original question, no I've not seen a delivery of puppies take this long before.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:14 AM  
Weanling Member

As a breeder of dogs for 30 yrs now, we have seen this kind of delivery - 1st delivery was probably pups from one horn of the uterus and they were obviously premature (and yes, a few days can determine whether a pup lives or dies - it is not like horses at all) - as long as the second horn is not disturbed the dam can deliver the rest of the pups normally - which it looks like she did on Thurs/Fri

our normal recourse would be to give a "pit" shot after we think she is done and then we always take the dam in to get palpated by a vet to make sure all is well (withen 24 hours).

Since you say your vet is over 1hour away, if she is resting comfortably and there is no elevated temp, then she is probably just fine. I would take her temp 2x/day at this point and always watch her discharge.

I am no vet but after 30 yrs you do experience a lot in dogs!!

good luck with your litter
Old 09-30-2007, 07:37 AM  
Kid Safe

First of all, where are the mods? This is TOTALLY OFF TOPIC! She just wanted to know if this was unusual not if she should take her dog to the vet. I am in no way a breeder or a vet so I am just going to say that I think it's odd that she had them so far apart? Was she bred once or twice? I have heard of pregnancies by more than one male which could explain why they were so far apart. (maybe lol). And if there is another puppy in stuck, WOW because that is A LOT of babies for one dog!!!! (sorry I am going a little off topic) But I don't see how that dog could have possibly fit any more into her to be stuck!

RIP Justin
You stole my heart and for that, I am grateful.
Sirita_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:56 AM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
** DONS MOD HAT**

Please remember to stay on topic. The OP has already replied that mother is doing fine and that she will take her to the vet if it is deemed necessary.
**REMOVES MOD HAT**

I haven't heard of labor lasting that long, I have heard of a large litter taking up to 24 hours or so to birth. I have heard of bulldogs having birthing problems due to their hip/pelvic conformation though.

Is it possible that she conceived on 2-3 different days and could that be the reason the puppies were so spread out?

Please keep us updated on how mom and puppies are doing! And of course we would love pictures!

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:05 AM  
Seasoned

Yes where are those puppie pic's?

Also if I'm not incorrect I think they can be bred every day by a different male for a week but I could be wrong.

Izzy my walking dream!!!
cook1745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:22 AM  
Kid Safe

I would get her to the vet ASAP! No matter what you say this is not a normal delivery and something could be wrong.......She could still have another puppy in there that is dead and will cause her to have a pyometra, an infection like that will llikely kill her......You did get on here and post to a bunch of strangers for their opinion so obviously you have some doubts in your mind, set aside the fact that " your breeder friend" has all the answers, but I bet if it were her dog she would take her to the vet.........
kanoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:36 AM  
Weanling Member

Pic of the pups!!
odie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:46 AM  
Kid Safe

That's a big pile of puppies! They are cute. Good luck! Give momma a treat. Gosh she was full of puppies!!

"The only way to have a friend is to be one."
roberts617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:01 PM  
Seasoned

WOW is that eight They are SOOOOO cute!!! So if there are eight that would be 11 all together.

Izzy my walking dream!!!
cook1745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:09 PM  
Started

Send a message via MSN to horsey-gal
They are precious Glad to hear momma and babies are doing well.
horsey-gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:47 PM  
Yearling Member

You are quiet lucky. Normally bull dogs do not have their pups narually. Most if not all do C sections as their heads are so large. I would take her to the vet and have her check as other have stated for that very reason.

Heidi
nrhareiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:07 PM  
Weanling Member

It's the English bulldogs that need C- sections. Mine is an American Bulldog. I've made an appointment for her for tomorrow. I'll get her checked out and make absolute sure everything is fine!
odie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:16 PM  
Seasoned

Those are some adorable pups! But um, no pics of the proud momma?!

Is she still doing well? Every body nursing and happy? No fever for mom? She's probably fine, but when breeding, it's always better to be safe than sorry. (Just think of the care we go through when having a baby...)

So, we can expect weekly pics of these guys and gals growing?

How many boys, how many girls?
wildcat180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:33 PM  
Pasture Pet

Adorable - glad the puppies are fine.. I agree - weekly grow photos - I love to watch them change..

Good job mom!

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:38 PM  
Yearling Member

Boy, those are some CUTE puppies!!! Glad to see they are doing well.

Can't wait to see more pics!

Last edited by APHANutmeg : 09-30-2007 at 02:44 PM.
APHANutmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:43 PM  
Yearling Member

To answer the original question. I have never heard of a dog delaying a delivery like that. I have heard and seen this done in cats though, so I guess it could happen in dogs. Especially when disturbed or distressed by something.
APHANutmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:53 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Those puppies are adorable!

But, to be fair, she asked a question having puppies that far apart was normal, and no, it is not normal. If I posted a question like........"I have a large lump on my breast, is that normal?" Well, something like that is NOT normal, and most people would tell me to see a doctor asap. Personally I don't see a thing wrong with it. The people on this board genuinely care for each other and their pets.

But, she has been given advise to the best of our abilities. Whether she takes said advise is up to her.

I am glad she is still doing good.
TxHorseMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs