Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2006, 05:13 PM  
Weanling Member

BlueTick Coonhounds

does anyone have one of these dogs?? I have read up on the breed a little but its always nice to hear from owners of the breed! right now we have one dog Lady who is a German Shorthair pointer and love her to death! and we are throwing around the idea of getting another dog and hubby wants a Bluetick coonhound but i know nothing about them!
Justwannago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 05:36 PM  
Seasoned

I have a blue tick cross. He is a wonderful dog, but they are very high energy and need lots of interaction to keep them happy. Lots of walks and playing fetch are in your future!!!

GSP's are pretty high energy too though aren't they? Hopefully they will wear each other out some!!
recklesshoundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:13 PM  
Started

We've got a Redbone. She's a really smart dog, really loving and all, but MAN is she L-O-U-D. You can't make them stop barking once they stop, either. And when they get on a scent, well, forget it. Just wait a couple hours until they get tired of it. When Keaton gets her mind on something, nothing can stand in her way. She's really hyper. But we live in the suburbs, too, and she stays in an average-size backyard all day and just gets one walk every night, so if you live in the country that'd probably wear them down some.

But coonhounds are beautiful dogs, and in my opinion, well worth all their quirks.
almost_mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:16 PM  
Weanling Member

With them, just like any hunting dog, if you do not keep an eye on them, they can be GONE in a heart beat.
They pick up a scent and they are ALL over it.

My brother in law took her hunting once, she brought home plenty of little critters.

But when she was at home or at any farm, she knew the rules.
She never hurt any animal on our property.

I love them to death.
Especially their big ears, and big barks =P

I would recommend a puppy.
Because you have to get them trained how you want.
Or you may end up with a problem.

If you do decide to get one, i'll be expecting pictures =]

Last edited by illiniequine : 01-22-2008 at 10:48 AM.
illiniequine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 10:55 PM  
Weanling Member

Yes GSPs are high energy too but not annoying i mean i take her out throw a ball and she will come in side and cuddle on the couch when hubby gets home there out till dark.

I think we will probably have to have the dog shipped if we get one because i cant find one here at all!
Old 12-06-2006, 09:46 AM  
Bombproof Member

I agree with illiniequine - hound dogs are notorious for getting on a scent and disappearing, even if they know the "come" command...sometimes that smell just gets in their little brains and overrides everything else. So a fenced yard and a leash are very important!

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:04 AM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchid
I agree with illiniequine - hound dogs are notorious for getting on a scent and disappearing, even if they know the "come" command...sometimes that smell just gets in their little brains and overrides everything else. So a fenced yard and a leash are very important!
And a strong arm!

I don't know about California, but there are breed rescues for coonhounds in the US. It might be a good way to get an older dog, which a strongly recommend if you won't be hunting. A young coonhound is more than just a puppy, let me tell you! We actually got Keaton at the local humane society, which I guess is pretty rare. Pups, even non-registered ones, often cost hundreds of dollars from breeders. We think that Keaton came from one of those breeders, because at just nine months old she had already had pups, and had a notch cut out of her ear, like a breeder's mark. Then she was dumped at the pound. Now she's a 75 pound lap dog.
almost_mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:18 AM  
Halter broke

I love Bluetick Coonhounds! I would definitely recommend one. I fell in love with a stray BC that came to our house back in July. Blue was the sweetest most loving boy I'd ever encountered. Sadly, he disappeared in October. I think our neighbor sold him for drug money.

Now we have a 10 week old female puppy. She's a character! We adore her very much. With any puppy, they are hyper for sometime. Blue was very relaxed as long as we were home but he suffered from anxiety issues whenever we left him inside alone.

Blue always stayed around our area only venturing to the next door neighbor's house or across the road to the other neighbor. Even if he had followed a scent, most likely he would have found his way back with his nose.
tnhorselover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:26 AM  
Bombproof Member

Actually, dogs can't follow their own scent back home - that is why they get lost...

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:32 AM  
Weanling Member

I had a redbone up until about 6 months ago. She was the sweetest most loving dog ever. She didn't have a mean bone in her body unless you where a small furry animal. She didn't get along with cats at all. Other then that she was the best dog we ever had. We live out in the country so she got to run. She was lazy until we took her out in the woods. Her bark was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO loud. Her name was Red. I recommend you get a coonhound, they are the best dogs ever.
cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:47 AM  
Weanling Member

Thanks everyone I'm going to keep looking to see if there is maybe one breeder here! LOL we got are GSP from west virgina but that was soo stressful!

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs