Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2006, 11:24 AM  
Bombproof Member

Where to buy dog and cat vaccines?

I have decided to start vaccinating my dog and cats myself, but I am not sure where I can buy the vaccines? My vet will still do the rabies vaccines as needed (illegal for anyone but vets in MN) and a heartworm test on Fluppy each year but I am hoping to save some money at my "designer" vet by doing the rest myself.

Any recommendations?

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:29 AM  
Weanling Member

Here, you can buy them at the feedstore. I also like kvvet.com
Old 09-28-2006, 11:29 AM  
Greenbroke Member

You could try Tractor Supply. Do you have on there?

I know that they have some of them there. I'm not positive which ones they carry, but you might try there!

Also, if you have a Rural King...they SHOULD have them there also!

If you have neither, but do have a 'farm' store. Try the farm store!
Old 09-28-2006, 11:30 AM  
Weanling Member

Here we get them at the feed store and hubby did them himself and had no problem with it we also have a "clinic" like thing that is alot cheaper than the vet and she has been doing it for years.
Justwannago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:52 AM  
Bombproof Member

No Tractor Supply, no Rural King; I can call the manager of my local farm store and ask him though.

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Old 09-28-2006, 11:55 AM  
Pasture Pet

We get ours from the local feed store and TSC - maybe your state does not allow it!!!

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:32 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchid
No Tractor Supply, no Rural King; I can call the manager of my local farm store and ask him though.

Remind me to never think of moving up that way then!

I'm sure you will be able to find it at your local farm store. We stopped at one not to long ago and they had all the same things!

Hope ya find it. I've been thinking about doing the same with with ours.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:34 PM  
Long Yearling

Send a message via AIM to chappel16 Send a message via Yahoo to chappel16
Yep I get them at my feed store...
Old 09-28-2006, 01:49 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Just a heads up. Although horse vaccines tend to stay current, many of those 5-in-1 and 7-in-1 combination dog shots are made from old formulations and do not protect against all the strains of the disease. The ingredients are fresh but the manufacturers haven't updated their product for many new strains.

Several of the local vets around here won't accept the Southern States or Rural King dog vaccines as adequate protection. They've had to put down too many dogs with distemper and parvo who had the shots from the farm stores. Even the ones who know I'm not going to do business with them tell me to take my dog to another vet to get the updated shots.

"I'll keep my guns, my religion, and my money - you can keep the change."
Seanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:58 PM  
Bombproof Member

I checked out that kvvet.com site - that looks like it would work for me.

Do you think their vaccines would be current, Seanachie? They have a bunch of different brands...

Old 09-28-2006, 02:16 PM  
Weanling Member

the ones we get arent a all in one i have never seen those.
Justwannago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:08 PM  
A J
Greenbroke Member

You can order them, but shipping will KILL the savings since they have to ship overnight a lot of the time....

Your local farm supply should be able to get them (if they don't already carry them) - I found a feed/animal supply store in our town that carried everything I needed (2 kitty shots (with FLV), one doggie, please!).

Plus, no shipping charges!

Try not, do or do not. There is no try.
A J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:09 PM  
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanachie
Just a heads up. Although horse vaccines tend to stay current, many of those 5-in-1 and 7-in-1 combination dog shots are made from old formulations and do not protect against all the strains of the disease. The ingredients are fresh but the manufacturers haven't updated their product for many new strains.

Several of the local vets around here won't accept the Southern States or Rural King dog vaccines as adequate protection. They've had to put down too many dogs with distemper and parvo who had the shots from the farm stores. Even the ones who know I'm not going to do business with them tell me to take my dog to another vet to get the updated shots.
I'm not so sure this is the case. Vets tend to say things about products you can buy some place else because they directly interfer with their livelihood. As "proof" of that, all you have to do is look at the Advantage/Frontline BS vets started about the ones you buy over the counter being poisonous. (If that was the case, a representative from Bayer wouldn't have been trying to sell me Advantage in a pet store, after visiting the local vets...)

Also, when I first starting giving my own shots, I took the vials to my vet to check to make sure they were what I needed. He not only told me they were, but he showed me the ones he had and both of our's had the same lot number. (Which would mean they were produced at the same time.) But then, I ordered mine from Pet Med. Man, I miss my vet...

HOWEVER, one thing you MUST watch out for if the temperature of the vaccines. You don't want them to get too warm and this can happen in shipping. (But then, it can happen in shipping to the vet's offices as well.)

All vaccines come with an expiration date and I believe it's within two years of its production. As long as you're well within the expiration date, you should be fine.
wildcat180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:20 PM  
Long Yearling

I order all my vaccines from Jeffers Pet Supply.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:06 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Wildcat180:

I know what you mean about folks putting down things that interfere with their potential profits.

However, I innoculate lots of humans on a weekly basis so I'm pretty well up on the whole immunology thing. This conversation started with a vet buddy when talking shop about giving shots and he volunteered the information as a personal warning for my dogs. He takes care of my horses and another vet in a town closer to me handles the doggies; the vets don't particularly get along. My horse vet willl be the first guy to give me a money-saving tip on animal care whether he makes any money on it or not and especially if he could snub the other guy without compromising care.

I've checked with several other vets on the issue and I get the same stories about vaccine failure with the farm store brand 5-in-1 and 7-in-1 shots. It may be due to old formulations or it may be due to lack of proper storage conditions. Either way, it resulted in a dead dog.

As an aside, Jeffers Pet Supply was highly recommended by several of the vets as a money saving, quality source for the shots.

Remember, this is free advice and it's worth every penny you paid for it. Good Luck!

"I'll keep my guns, my religion, and my money - you can keep the change."
Seanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:15 PM  
Seasoned

I have no doubt that some places that don't sell a high volume of shots would end up with old stock.

But you know, going to a vet doesn't equal protection either. Just ask my dog Bullet that died as a seven month old pup of Parvo. Vaccinated routinely by my vet... So it can, and does, go either way. Vets can get bad batches, mishandling, not stored properly, whatever. So many things can go wrong any where. Quite honestly, I was a little miffed that I had paid for all those shots, then had to pay over $600 for treatment of Parvo and still lose my dog. The vet, who wasn't my vet much long after this, had the nerve to say, "well, you shouldn't have bought the shots elsewhere". Oh yeah? Just check your record dumb a$$...

With the way viruses work, there's almost no way of preventing everything. As soon as a vaccine is made a virus can mutate and that vaccine is no longer as effective. I'm still looking for that magic bullet cure-all and protect all. Anything that will give my dogs a longer life here with me.

I vote for making our dogs live in plastic bubbles so we don't have to worry about it!
wildcat180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:47 AM  
Kid Safe

Try asking your vet to sell you the vaccine. I asked mine and was told that I would be charged full price for it, the only savings is I don't have to pay the office call because I didn't bring my animal in.

I have to agree with the questionable vaccines sold at the feed stores. Use them with great caution if at all. A "great deal" may cost you more in the long run.

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs