Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2014, 10:51 AM  
Yearling Member

Unhappy CHF- Congestive Heart Failure

So my dog hasn't been feeling well these past two months. She has been coughing a lot more and hacking up a white foam. Took her to the vet at the beginning of this month, was prescribed Cephalexin and Enalapril to help with the yeast infection on her body and to help her heart out some since she has a murmur/CHF. All was OK, she was still coughing but it wasn't as severe.. until last night...she was just miserable and restless as she couldn't catch her breath without coughing every two seconds..I tried calming her down some (cause I could not afford a $600+ emergency vet bill if I took her in right there and then) and she finally fell asleep around 1 am, no more coughing thankfully So this morning I took her to the vet again as the medications she was prescribed was obviously not helping and she didn't sound any better either. After a series of poking and prodding from head to you know what, three tumors on her body came back as fat (yay! right?) and one that was on her neck and not noticed until almost taking her off the table, was a cyst. Couldn't believe it The vet couldn't tell me the results right away as he had other client appointments to take care of (I was a walk in btw) but said will call me later today with the results. He took blood for a CBC, but has to send it out to a lab and the results won't be in until tomorrow. But he did tell me in the meantime that I could either do Lasix to clear out any excessive fluids around her lungs/heart, give her another type of medicine similar to Lasix (cheaper), or do the Lasix and X-rays today. I opted to do the Lasix with the Enalapril(which she is currently on) and see if that will alleviate her some while we await for the CBC results to come back with an possible answer...
*sigh* this is the sad part of owning an older animal..one thing goes, and another follows

hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:07 AM  
Kid Safe

Hugs....many hugs.

Been there and done it with dogs not elderly but with health issues.

As you are doing, try to keep them comfortable as best you can but their needs must be placed first before ours.
If that means a hug and kiss goodbye because they are in trouble and suffering...

I don't mean to imply your dog is at this point, far from it.

It sounds like some antibiotics along with the additional medication for fluid reduction of the chest cavity may make a world of difference.
Maybe ask your vet if "tapping" {I don't know the medical terminology} of the chest cavity by syringe would help your dog and is it warranted or possible.
Waiting for test results is tough, hence the {HUGS} sent your direction.

horselover4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:20 AM  
Kid Safe

Been there, done that. It never gets easier. You have my prayers!
((((HUGS))))from my heart to yours

You don't have to be crazy to be my friend,
but it helps!!!
sundancer maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:01 PM  
Pasture Pet

I had a Yorkie with chf and my vet had her on lasix and other heart regulating meds. i forget which.one.
all i can say is it helped her and for months it worked.
so good idea to start her on the lasix now to help get rid of the fluid in her chest.
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:01 PM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horselover4life View Post
Hugs....many hugs.

Been there and done it with dogs not elderly but with health issues.

As you are doing, try to keep them comfortable as best you can but their needs must be placed first before ours.
If that means a hug and kiss goodbye because they are in trouble and suffering...

I don't mean to imply your dog is at this point, far from it.

It sounds like some antibiotics along with the additional medication for fluid reduction of the chest cavity may make a world of difference.
Maybe ask your vet if "tapping" {I don't know the medical terminology} of the chest cavity by syringe would help your dog and is it warranted or possible.
Waiting for test results is tough, hence the {HUGS} sent your direction.

Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate it I am doing my best, financially possible, to keep her comfortable. She is still lively, spunky and plays around a bit - so I am seeing that as a positive that the CHF isn't that bad (vet said he didn't think it was that bad either, but to monitor it closely anways). Eventually, I know it will get to the point where I can no longer do anything about it medically (with medications) and just have to let her live out the rest of her golden years until she passes or if she's in pain/suffering then just have her PTS (I am hoping I won't have to do that and she will pass on her own). I've come to terms with it already since it started, I am just hoping for the best but preparing for worse case scenario.

Also, he didn't palpitate her chest (I don't know the terminology either, sorry), he used a stethoscope to hear both sides of her heart and he didn't hear any fluid in the lungs or anything abnormal other than the murmur and doesn't think it's pneumonia since she's acting normal (eating, drinking, pooping/peeing) other than the coughing. He thinks it could be an upper respiratory issue, maybe collapsed trachea? or infection?? it's all a guess until the CBC comes back...hopefully we will receive an pin-point answer tomorrow.

I am hoping the Lasix will nip it in the butt and help her heart and lungs out a bit...maybe the coughing will stop altogether( wouldn't that be great?)..He said to check-in with him 5 days from now and see if it makes any difference. If not, X-rays will be ordered. He wants to try different things until we find one that works best for her while also not wiping out my bank account

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer maiden View Post
Been there, done that. It never gets easier. You have my prayers!
((((HUGS))))from my heart to yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by horselady View Post
I had a Yorkie with chf and my vet had her on lasix and other heart regulating meds. i forget which.one.
all i can say is it helped her and for months it worked.
so good idea to start her on the lasix now to help get rid of the fluid in her chest.
Thank you both Sundancer and HL I am hoping the Lasix will do the trick and keep her comfortable until we get an answer.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:27 PM  
Pasture Pet

My vet did stethescope on the heart and determined he valve was not opening and closing properly, and i had to monitor her salt. and her activity level. She always loved to follow me to the barns and run and play with the other dogs. i had to stop all that.
so good luck with your pup and hope it is managed for a long and happy life.
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:07 PM  
Yearling Member

Thank you and I hope she gets better really soon, too...she is so full of life and just this one little problem is keeping her from enjoying the fun things she likes to do ( fetch, run around the house, play with her duck toy, etc...) I am crossing my fingers that the cyst is benign and the lasix/enalapril keeps her comfortable and happy.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:57 AM  
Newborn Member

Try giving your dog CoQ10 (CoenzymeQ10) It truly helps with congestive heart failure and is fairly inexpensive. I have used it with my dog and with two of my horses. If you google it you can see lots of information on it. My veterinarian was actually the one that suggested it to me. Best of luck...my prayers are with you.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:24 PM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaD View Post
Try giving your dog CoQ10 (CoenzymeQ10) It truly helps with congestive heart failure and is fairly inexpensive. I have used it with my dog and with two of my horses. If you google it you can see lots of information on it. My veterinarian was actually the one that suggested it to me. Best of luck...my prayers are with you.
It seems the wishful thinking and prayers worked test came back with everything being NORMAL. WBC/RBC is in range, liver enzymes and function is excellent, nothing noticeably out of whack. I am so happy! She seems much better today, too. Coughing is almost nonexistent and she looks alive compared to two nights ago.

KarlaD,thanks for the suggestion. I will look into CoQ10 and ask my vet if it's okay to give with her medications.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:53 PM  
Kid Safe

Wonderful news! Thank you, so much, for sharing!

You don't have to be crazy to be my friend,
but it helps!!!
sundancer maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:54 AM  
Kid Safe

Yay!!!!
Old 02-01-2014, 01:20 PM  
Yearling Member

Thanks guys She's getting better everyday! Coughing has dramatically improved to where she no longer is coughing every two seconds and she can breathe better

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs