Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2012, 08:29 PM  
Yearling Member

Neutered Male Penetrating Female???

I have a 2 year old Neutered Male who keeps mounting and penetrating my 10 month old female who is in heat. Of coarse they keep getting tied.

As the "New" thing is that you leave large breed dogs at least until their first birthday to spay or neuter, I have waited with all of my dogs (4) to neuter or spay. My understanding from my vet is there is now a link between hormones and bone growth in large breed dogs, which is why I have taken their advice to wait the year to fix my dogs. (2 females and 1 male are all fixed) I do understand that I could make the choice to spay or neuter sooner. I have however chosen to take the advice of my vet.

My Male has never before bred any female.

I did have a female before this one, who also came into heat before being spayed. I did not have an incident with her with my male dog ever.

With my new female, my male keeps trying to mount her, and of coarse on a couple of occasions has been successful, thus leaving them tied

My question is why would my neutered male penetrate my female?? Is there a chance that the neutering did not take completely?

Like all of my other dogs, this female will be spayed.
Susycue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:53 PM  
Yearling Member

All i know is when they tie its the female that 'locks' the male and thus they are tied.
Is there a chance the vet missed a nut? Other then that i wouldnt be too concerned unless of coarse she shows pregnancy.

Don't be the rider who gallops all night and never sees the horse that is beneath him ~ Jelaluddin Rumi
bandit08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:15 PM  
Yearling Member

Ya, I understand the whole tied thing. I am just surprised how "attached" they are to each other.

That is what I was wondering.......if it's possible that something was missed at the neuter (though) it doesn't look like it or is it possible that a properly neutered male will still mount and penetrate a female in heat???
Old 07-11-2012, 11:12 PM  
Weanling Member

Send a message via AIM to ohsierraface
I have known many neutered male dogs, and spayed females to mount as a sign of dominance, but never anything else.

We spayed our German Shepherd/Rottweiler mix when she was 6 months old(we had no choice. We were leaving for Disneyland for a week and we got her and her mother fixed while at the kennel). She's 13 years old now, and has never had any problems other than the arthritis that comes with the old age.
ohsierraface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:37 AM  
Yearling Member

When I was younger we rescued a male toy poodle from the shelter. He was fixed when we got him. However every time a female was I'm season he would mount, penetrate and tie with them. Never resulted I'm any problems, as in puppies or infections. He woukd also wonder off if a dog was in heat at the neighbors houses. So its possible. And actually its both the male and female that cause the tie. The male has a bulbous gland that swells and that is what the female clamps down on. Only when the bulbous gland deflates does the tie break.
Summersun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:15 AM  
Kid Safe

Unless the dog was a crypt, and any reputable vet would have told you this going into the neuter, and would have suggested going into the body to find it your dog would not be having part of a testicle left, it's a a pretty easy and obvious procedure.

But doggies still can sense if a female is in heat even if they are fixed, some dogs will lift their legs on everything even if they were neutered earlier, it's just a dog by dog thing.

So I believe your doggy is just doing what he think he should. I would try to keep them seperate as much as possible because tieing is dangerous, especially for your little boy. Thinks can get broken.... literally...

RIP Justin
You stole my heart and for that, I am grateful.
Sirita_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:06 AM  
Weanling Member

I agree with Sirita. Remember your guy did have his hormones for awhile and just because he is fixed doesn't guarantee his instincts will change. Your female should be fine, this is not that uncommon.

Not to mention 3 skin babies, 1 cat, 2 pound puppies, 1 sheltie, and 1 Italian greyhound
myboyyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:59 AM  
Started

I have had a neutered male "breed" a girl...just keep them apart as much as possible....I agree with waiting to spay and neuter....just work through this hassle and she will probably be spayed before her next cycle.
alliebath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:41 PM  
Yearling Member

Thanks everyone. Trying to keep them separated as much as possible. Not easy when I am not set up well for that. With the heat the way it is I hate to keep either of them in their crates. I can separate them if I have to leave the house, but it does mean keeping 2 dogs in the house and 2 dogs in the outside kennel run.

My female is so in his face all the time. I am not sure he would even pursue her if she wasn't being so pushy..lol

My biggest concern right now is the development of Pymetria I will have her spayed a couple of weeks after this heat cycle is complete.

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs