Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2011, 08:46 AM  
Weanling Member

Shaving a Collie?

I was wondering if it'd be a good idea to shave a rough Collie for the summer.
My Collie has a very thick coat and gets super hot in the summer. I asked my vet and she said she used to shave her aussie. Some people say the coat doesn't grow back as nice as it was but she said her dogs grew back just fine.
Anyone ever shaved their Collie and how did it turn out?
Old 05-08-2011, 08:58 AM  
Newborn Member

I shave my sheltie every year. His coat grows back, fully and then some! However, over time (he is 9) the "butt/leg" hair is frizzier and more prone to matting than it used to be. I was told by a sheltie breeder never to shave down the dog since it provides insulating qualities. I think would have a dead dog from overheating. He doesn't blow his undercoat til July and he's mostly black. He's a fully outdoor dog with heated kennel and always has enough fur for winter.

We don't shave to the skin any more - we try to leave an inch or so to prevent sunburn on his white area.

If you choose to have a swimming pool for the dog to cool off instead it works well too.
horsetopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:14 AM  
Weanling Member

These dogs do need their coat for insulation, it does help keep them cool. I would shave for making grooming and upkeep easier. But leave a few inches of hair for their natural protection. Their coat will grow back just as beautiful as ever.
critterkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:27 AM  
Long Yearling

I have a border collie/shepherd that I shave every spring, I bought a 3 blade that leaves a 1/2'' of hair so she doesn't look totally shaved, she gets hot and collects trees, shrubs and small animals when she has a full coat!

Against the grain should be a way of life
Don't take the free ride in your own life
mlh619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:59 AM  
Weanling Member

As Critterkeeper stated, that type of double coat is used as insulation. It, much like house insulation, protects from both cold and heat. With that said, I shaved off our rough Collie one year. She was very old though, and was going senile, so she could not tolerate brushing. Plus she was incontinent, so I didn't want pee getting stuck in her hair. She was cooler, but I shaved her practically naked. I *think I used a #5 blade (it was several years ago), but she had thin hair, so there wasn't much left. I think that if I was going to shave off another double coated dog I would shave them nearly naked again, and just use sunscreen until the coat is long enough to prevent sunburn. I can't see how doing anything less would keep them cooler, since when you shave them you are destroying their natural insulation. We did not use sunscreen on our Collie, but she spent most of her time outside napping in the shade, so she never had an issue. I only shaved our Collie off that one year. I considered it again the next year, but didn't want to put her through even that, and she died later that year, so I am glad that I didn't.

As far as whether or not the coat grows back properly, in my experience it is mostly the dogs that are shaved ALL the time that don't grow back right. It takes a while to look normal, but all the dogs I have shaved once a year or so do grow back fine eventually. That isn't to say that all dogs will, but in my experience, most without a prior skin or hair issue grow back fine with time. Our Collie's hair looked just fine by about the middle of the next winter.
Majolica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:58 PM  
Bombproof Member

I keep my austrailian shepherds shaved all year. I shave them every cpl months. I dont let them grow out past about an inch. I use a 7 blade.

Just make sure you bath them regularly with a nice shampoo ( oatmeal or tea trea based are good) for their skin. Otherwise they will get the itchies and cause hot spots.

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:44 PM  
Long Yearling

I am thinking of shaving both my rough coat collies this year. I know I will my old Duchess. I may try to save some of Duke's.
susanspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:48 PM  
Halter broke

I shave my Shelties. #10 blade. Just be careful of sunburn the first couple of days after a fresh shavedown. Mine are housedogs and just go out for walks, so sunburn hasn't really been an issue. The dogs really appreciate their "summer cut"; huge difference in their attitude and energy level after a shave.
mdDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:55 PM  
Seasoned

I shave my pyr, every summer. Not all the way, but it really helps. She is an indoor dog too but it still gets hot here . I will shave her belly nekid sometimes as she likes to lay on our tile floor.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:27 AM  
Weanling Member

I was always told that thick coated breeds actually need their hair to protect them from heat.

I never shaved my BC, but I would shave just her belly to keep her a bit cool
akyramoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:51 AM  
Halter broke

shelties and collies shouldnt be shaved.
I have had 7 shelties and used to breed them.
with shade, cool water , and a fan they are fine.
shaving can lead to sunburn, heat stroke, or death.
why get a dog that has such a beatuifull coat and shave it off?
Old 05-20-2011, 07:39 AM  

I do my sheltie in a lion cute. His coat came back for the winter time just fine.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:45 AM  
Long Yearling

Dang that means all that springtime shedding. My husband claims he has hair balls from swallowing it. LOL I will comb them if their coat helps them...
susanspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:31 PM  
Halter broke

I swept under my dining room table today and found a small dog, or a large cat.

current 4 pawed housemates are
1 border collie
1 sheltie
1 blue merle rough collie

1 worthless hairball chair warmer.

who ever says cats are cleaner then dogs has never lived with a cat!
Old 05-20-2011, 06:52 PM  
Halter broke

Just be careful if the dog has a cat for a best friend. I shaved our border collie once and she went cheerfully up to her cat friend and was surprised by a brutal attack. The cat didn't recognize her. lol
vicky88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:11 AM  
Newborn Member

My mom does not have a lot of time or know how so she keeps her collie shaved down I think she goes in about every 4 months. I am thinking about having my Aussies shaved down just to give me a break for a while on the grooming.
rmh05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs