Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2010, 04:09 PM  
Started

Iams Dog Food Problem?

Has anyone else heard of an issue with Iams dog food? Our vet has several dogs that have become violently ill within the past week or so and the only link is Iams. He is starting to hear some things about the possibility of a problem through the vet channels but nothing from Iams yet.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:20 PM  
Bombproof Member

I can't speak for the IAMS dog food (mine are on all natural/organic) but their cat food ( canned ) is pulled off the shelves for ??????? reason. I had to change cat food

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:59 PM  
Halter broke

IMHO IAMS Dog or Cat food is Garbage. It almost killed my parents cat a few years ago!!!
morgandreamer1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:26 PM  
Bombproof Member

About 1,1/2 yrs ago I changed my senior (17) yr old cat to Iams. Within a few weeks I noticed a change in her coat, that it seemed to be thinning. She was a short coated cat with a thick dense coat. After several months I noticed that her tail seemed thinner. When I groomed her I could hear the brush going across what seemed to be scabs and the hair came out, two or three attached to a tiny amount of skin. I immediately switched her back to her usual food (both foods were dry foods) and there seemed to be some improvement but I noticed she seemed to be going thro a lot of cat litter. And drinking much more than usual. A trip to the vet diagnosed renal failure and the cat was euthanized. The change started only after I'd put her on Iam's. This cat would not eat household food or canned food so that can't be blamed.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:03 PM  
Yearling Member

iams canned cat food

iams has had a voluntary recall on their canned cat foods due to a vitamin b ( i think it was) deficiency. as far as the QUALITY of iams food that is why it is in the grocery stores....it is not any better than other grocery brands. just look at ur ingredient lists.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:37 PM  
Yearling Member

hmm.interesting. My puppy is on Iams Smart Puppy..wonder what the recall is.
He did get sick really bad last week, but is ok now. Maybe a bad batch?
Old 06-27-2010, 07:26 PM  
Halter broke

We had a dog on Iams, but she developed a thyroid problem and we switched her, but we learned alot from our vet when we changed her diet. Dog food is a very interseting thing. The most common ingrediant in most brands is corn but here is the great part... corn is the most common allergy in dogs! I don't know if you want to change foods, but if you decide to look I can tell you that I agree with secondhandranch; look at the ingrediants. A good qualitiy food will have chicken, or pure meat as some of the first listed. Try to stay away from foods with the meat listed as a meal or biproduct. Listed from good to bad "pure meat>meat meal>meat biproduct."The best food we have been able to find for the best value is Kirkland brand food that you buy from Costco. In terms of the other dogs getting sick it can be sooo many things. Dogs with sensitive stomachs that are switched to a new food too quickly or if they have an allergy to the food will become ill. To tell you the truth, all of the brands that say they are the best for your dog like Purina One or Beneful are some of the WORST. It can take time to find a good quality food, but it is well worth it. Work with your vet too. When switching foods the calories per cup are not always the same, so you may need to adjust how much you feed, but fortunately all of this information is listed on the bag.
What kind of dog do you have?

Last edited by train2rein : 06-27-2010 at 07:28 PM. Reason: typo
train2rein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:39 PM  
Started

I personally don't feed it either but wanted to pass it along for anyone that might just to keep an eye on their dogs. I have to use Nutrena Loyal for mine as it is the only thing that I have found that my lab is not allergic to. He is quite the odd duck!
Old 06-27-2010, 11:24 PM  
Yearling Member

I'll have to check that out. We used to breed Goldens and we had them on purina puppy feed, but can't find that here anywhere. So he's on Iams til he gets older.
He's only about 4-5 months old.. I'm hoping its ok for him.. anyone got other suggestions for a puppy feed that wont break the bank?
He's a Heeler/Eskimo Spitz/Jack Russel cross..mom's full heeler, dad is apparently an eskimo spitz/jack russel..doesnt look Jack though..
Old 06-28-2010, 12:43 AM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
Hadn't heard anything but then I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole to begin with.

I feed Diamond Naturals to all of my dogs young and old. My puppy is on their Small Breed Puppy formula mixed half and half with the big dogs Chicken and Rice formula. All three adult dogs are on their Naturals Chicken and Rice formula.

Doesn't cost much more than Iams or most grocery store brands but is far better quality with no corn added into it.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:19 AM  
Newborn Member

There does seem to be a problem. People are having problems all over the country. Iams doesn't seem to be doing anything but telling people to throw away the food. The FDA might finally be taking notice, however. You can see what people are posting here: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/iams.html
thewillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:30 AM  
Coming two

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth55051 View Post
I feed Diamond Naturals to all of my dogs young and old.

Doesn't cost much more than Iams or most grocery store brands but is far better quality with no corn added into it.
I feed the same, but actually pay less than I did for Iams when I fed that. Feeding Iams, I did have problems with my little shih tzu who has allergies. I have nothing but good to say about Diamond Naturals, which I have been feeding for about a year and a half now.

Working at a boarding kennel, we do get a lot of dogs through there that get a wide variety of food, Iams being one of the most common, along with Dog Chow. Several of the dogs on Iams have chronic ear/skin problems. It shocks me that their vets haven't brought up the option of changing dog food to them.

I won't be going back to Iams...
Goldun Acres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:08 AM  
Started

Thanks for the link to the consumer affairs, didn't even know that existed.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:54 AM  
Bombproof Member

A few years ago a Canadian vet/professor had labs evaluate dry and moist dog food because vets aren't schooled in this. Guess what, the labelling can't really be trusted. It could say chicken and it's beaks and feet, etc. The concensus was that feeding the cheaper foods didn't means our pets were getting less nutrition, just that our wallets were getting a break. My dog big box retail dog for the past 7 years. Prior to my getting him he was on an expensive brand that made his coat stink. No one wanted to pat him as it was difficult to wash the smell off one's hands. A few weeks after I switched him the odor went away.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:12 AM  
Newborn Member

Canidae
Innova
Evo
Natural Balance
California Natural
Wellness
Timberwolf
Pinnacle
Blue Buffalo