Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2010, 03:57 PM  
Yearling Member

Dog threw up and is now shaking?

We have 6 dogs, but one in particular, a Shih Tzu/Poodle X female threw up about 10 minutes ago on the sofa and is now shaking in her crate.

There hasn't been anything wrong with her, she was wormed December 30th with Drontal Plus for Roundworm, and has been eating, sleeping, and lazing about normally. Usually the dogs sleep most of the day on the sofas or sleep and annoy the cat so the sleeping isn't abnormal here. They're house dogs in the winter due to being rather small.

She has been shaved down as she had some pretty nasty matts, and has been shaved for a couple weeks now. She's the kind of dog that likes to get into garbage but we've been keeping the garbage bins outside recently. We did recently switch the dogs to Royal Canin but all has been fine.

I'll check her temperature, but is there anything I can do for her? She's been fine all day, and they haven't been fed really recently so she hasn't eaten too quickly.
s-mylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:07 PM  
Coming two

Sometimes dogs just don't feel well after puking. I wouldn't be worried about the shaking unless it continues tomorrow. She probably just ate something (who knows what) and it upset her tummy.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:10 PM  
Yearling Member

That's what I thought. My mum was rather worried but sometimes they get into things they really shouldn't get into. Like horse feed -_-

I gave her a bit of pepto and sent her off to bed, she's crated at night so at least she can relax and sleep it off.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:07 AM  
Kid Safe

Could be a touch of a stomach bug. It's been going around and our canine companions are getting it. Try to keep her hydrated by offering clear liquids. Watch for diarrhea. If she's still sick in the morning I'd put a call into the vet. He can give her something to make her feel better. I have a friend who's Maltese got the bug and she ended up taking him to the vet he was so sick. Has anyone in the family been down with the bug? I was and I believe I gave it to my dogs.

Poor thing, hope she's feeling better soon.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:28 PM  
Yearling Member

Well she had the runs this morning and was still shivering but we gave her a bit of gaterade and now she seems to be back up to normal Ginny mischievious behaviour (ie. mugging the garbage bin and running a muck upstairs where shes not supposed to be). She's an older (probably around 6 or 7 yrs) Shih Tzu/Poodle. We got her as a breeder rescue, the breeders kennel had been flooded and she left the dogs there, Ginny had a litter with her when we got her of Shihpoos, wonderfully bred and beautiful puppies that we found homes for very fast. She was underweight and covered in matts. She'll be going to a pet home this year as shes more suited to living in the city than living in the country.

So far she's been a companion to our pregnant girls because she's so agreeable to anything. She loves all dogs and all people and we initially kept her as we had 1 pregnant girl at the time who kept getting into scraps with her buddy and Ginny just didn't seem to care, they were best buds.

We've all been sick, so it's entirely possible she got whatever she had/has from us. Or from whatever she's been sneaking while we're not looking -_-

Last edited by s-mylie : 01-17-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:45 PM  
Weanling Member

Send a message via AIM to Wolfesden
Ours basset did that yesterday, and she seems fine now? Hope everything is okay with your puppy
Old 01-18-2010, 10:54 PM  
Yearling Member

Ginny is perfectly fine now

Though, if it helps, I found out/realized/discovered she'd eaten into a bag of Purina Equalizer waiting to be dispensed into a feed bin that had been hanging out in the office. She seems to have a taste for horse feeds, perhaps something in the Equalizer did it.

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs