Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2010, 03:13 PM  
Yearling Member

Drontal Plus in Pregnant Dogs

Just a warning to everyone..

MAKE SURE YOU TRIPLE CHECK if you are treating for Roundworm or Tapeworm during pregnancy in a dog. Our vets office prescribed Drontal Plus after being told two of our dogs may be pregnant. They just called it Drontal and no one checked the bottles so they got wormed with it. Well as it happens, it was Drontal Plus which can cause birth defects, heart murmurs, etc. in puppies.

This is AWFUL, a huge hit to us as this year only one of the girls managed to get pregnant due to Nacho being overweight and unable to breed too successfully. We are in a TOTAL bind here, and the vet office didn't even say sorry. They said the puppies would have to be aborted or euthanized after birth but didn't offer to do it for a discounted price or anything. Needless to say we are changing vets and never going back to these people. They KNEW our dogs were pregnant.

Our horses are being moved to another vet as well.
s-mylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:52 PM  
Yearling Member

Okay well I've found some very interesting information. I went on the Bayer website and came across some information..

Quote:
As studies have not been conducted in bitches in early pregnancy, Drontal Plus should not be used during the first half of gestation.Studies have been carried out, to confirm the tolerance of Drontal Plus during pregnancy and lactation: 3 groups of pregnant bitches were treated with 6 or 10 times the therapeutic dose or with placebo on the 20th and 10th day ante partum and againone and three weeks post partum. The treatment had no effect on duration of pregnancy, litter size, birth weight, mortality of the pups, clinico-chemicalparameters, haematological parameters, clinical condition or development of the pups.
The first bit of hope I got, it seems that in the studies conducted the pregnant dog was receiving a power pack of the wormer not the regular dosage, which is what Peaches received... the regular dosage (if not a bit under because she actually weighs more than we quoted!)

Then I found another webpage that sells Drontal Plus in the Uk and looked under their listing for Contra Indications and came up with this..

Quote:
Use During Pregnancy and Lactation
Consult a veterinary surgeon before treating pregnant animals for roundworms.
The product may be used during lactation.
Do not exceed recommended dose when treating pregnant bitches
Which would indicate that when used in the normal therapeutic dosage, and approved by a vet, it should not cause complications with the development of the puppies.

We are going to let Peaches go to term and assess the puppies after birth. We will be having her ultrasounded and will ultrasound all the puppies born.

Last edited by s-mylie : 01-07-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:02 PM  
Kid Safe

It's so hard to know what is the right thing to do when dealing with a pregnant dog. As for me I choose not to use any wormers or tropicals while they are pregnant. I've heard some horror stories and I'd rather not be the one person experiencing one.

I can understand why you would be upset with the vet. Hopefully they are developed enough that no harm was done.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:23 AM  
Yearling Member

Well we don't usually worm during pregnancy but one of the dogs, that wasn't pregnant, puked up a whole load of roundworms...

So you can understand why it was crucial to worm her.

I've found more promising information, stating that with vet consultation that it is okay to give a pregnant dog Drontal Plus but not to exceed therapeutic dosages.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:24 AM  
Kid Safe

I never worm my dogs during pregnancy. The pups may look okay to start with, but have problems down the road. I don't care what studies have shown. In my very first litter 25 years ago, I wormed, and wound up with pups that looked okay, but one went blind, one died very early, and none of the rest were that great. The moms need to be wormed after they have the pups anyway, along with the pups of course, because the hormones wake up the encysted round worms when the female starts lactating. Worm your girls well before they are bred, if you need to. I don't give heartworm medication during pregnancy either, for the same reasons. Over the last 25 years, I have lost very few pups...
singing tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:42 PM  
Yearling Member

Well the load in the one dog was so large there was a risk to the puppies and mother. The vet was TOLD she was pregnant, and since I trusted my vet and have not used Drontal in the past (we use Strongid but its not effective against Roundworm) I gave them the wormer. I'm going to do extra vetting on them and make the owners well aware of the issues we had if they turn out okay. Reg. Drontal is okay to use in pregnant dogs, Drontal Plus is not, and neither is it particularly effective against roundworm in pregnant dogs. The information from Bayer I've found and other reputable webpages has suggested that you can dose with Drontal Plus per vets recommendations as long as you don't dose over the therapeutic dose (which for Peaches is 1 tablet). All studies conducted by Bayer and outside labs conclude that if dosed in the second half of pregnancy (which she wasn't, it was the second stage.. but not the second half quite then, she was at almost 4 weeks) at 6-10 times the therapeutic dose, puppies didn't have any developmental problems or problems in the future. It's mainly heart murmurs, closed anus, severe hernias (with contents outside the body), etc. that we are worried about. I am still worried about blindness and such but I do plan on making the owners well aware and perhaps even dropping the price.

I'm so upset about this, she is the only one who got pregnant this year and you're supposed to be able to trust the vet. The vet has been fine up until now, I'm so angered and we will not be taking them back there ever again.

Last edited by s-mylie : 01-08-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:08 AM  
Kid Safe

More than one worming is going to be needed in a dog with that much of a worm load. I'd suggest waiting until after she whelps. Then I'd worm her weekly for the next 6 weeks with a gentle wormer like pyrantel pamoate. I'd worm the puppies also as they more than likely will have a heavy worm load too. Do not exceed the recommended amount. To many worms dieing off at once can cause blockage and possibly anemia.

I'm assuming you've wormed the other dogs in the house?

I'd like to hear more as her pregnancy progresses so keep us updated please. Once again I'm so sorry you have to worry. As a breeder I know I do enough of that without help.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:20 AM  
Yearling Member

Definitely will. The dog with the large load (so big she threw them up, the ones she threw up were dead but we were hitting her pretty hard with Strongid and despite being ineffective against roundworm the vet thinks it was effective enough to damage the population) isn't pregnant but the vet wanted to worm all the dogs and cat (we have 6 dogs and 1 cat!) plus advised that all the farm animals get wormed too.

None of the dogs were given over the recommended dose, no power pack wormer, nothing. Just what they needed for their weight. One good sign so far is that Peaches, the one pregnant, hasn't aborted. We need to keep an eye out for closed anus, hernias, etc. at birth and will have all the puppies undergo extra vet checks like ultrasounds. Of all the reading I have done, it seems to me that all studies are inconclusive because they haven't conducted ANY studies regarding therapeutic doses of Drontal Plus in any pregnant females, only 6-10 times the therapeutic dose in the second half of gestation, where no developmental abnormalities were found.

IE, we could be okay but I am still furious with the vets office and the only animals staying there will be the cat and goats because its hard to find a vet williing to work with an evil cat and the one vet there is the only goat vet in the area. Horses have been switched already to a mobile vet, and the dogs are going to a vet in another town.

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs