Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2010, 12:35 PM  
Yearling Member

Ivermectin Horse Paste for dogs????

I have been hearing rumor that lots of people give their dogs Ivermectin horse paste to their dogs and that is takes care of every kind of worm including heart worms???

I was wondering if anyone on here has ever done this????
Old 01-07-2010, 12:42 PM  
Kid Safe

I have heard people do this, and it can be done, but I think that any time you take something that is dosed for horses and try to dose it out for a dog you are playing with fire....JMO ...Ivermectin toxicity is nothing funny

"Animals are such agreeable friends--they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms..." --George Eliot

In Loving Memory of Spikey...My Best Friend...I Miss You RIP 1988-2009
kanoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:43 PM  
Kid Safe

I have heard that people do this but I think that any time you take something that is dosed out for horses and try and dose it out for dogs you are playing with fire....JMO. Ivermectin toxicity is nothing to mess around with!!

"Animals are such agreeable friends--they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms..." --George Eliot

In Loving Memory of Spikey...My Best Friend...I Miss You RIP 1988-2009
kanoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:58 PM  
Yearling Member

Here is a thread from a while ago on this.... not good don't do it is my opinion.

http://forum.horsetopia.com/dogs/112...ctin-dogs.html
Old 01-07-2010, 02:06 PM  
Seasoned

Some dogs, collie breeds, I think, can't have ivermectin. I deworm my dogs using a liquid ivermectin dewormer, which my vet does not recommend. Not that it doesn't work, but that if your dog gets heartworm, you have no recourse like you do with the FDA approved heart worm medications. Plus she said the dosage is difficult to figure out and the parts per million of dewormer is higher per dose than it would be in the tablet form.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:14 PM  
Bombproof Member

Any breed with the merle gene cannot have ivermectin.

You are playing russian-roulet with a dogs life....don't do it pls.

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:34 PM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnBum View Post
Any breed with the merle gene cannot have ivermectin.

You are playing russian-roulet with a dogs life....don't do it pls.
What is the merle gene. I have 2 Amstaffs and one german shepherd. I have not done anything, just the sound of it made me nervous, so I have been researching it and have seen pros and cons. The biggest thing I have seen is the dosage.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:51 PM  
Long Yearling

Some breeds without the merle gene are affected to. Here is a list and the frequencies it occurs in each breed from http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-vcpl/breeds.aspx

Breed Approximate Frequency
Australian Shepherd 50%
Australian Shepherd, Mini 50%
Border Collie < 5%
Collie 70 %
English Shepherd 15 %
German Shepherd 10 %
Herding Breed Cross 10 %
Long-haired Whippet 65 %
McNab 30 %
Mixed Breed 5 %
Old English Sheepdog 5 %
Shetland Sheepdog 15 %
Silken Windhound 30 %

Against the grain should be a way of life
Don't take the free ride in your own life
mlh619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:51 PM  
Kid Safe

The main ingredient in Heartguard is Ivermectin. I've heard of a lot of people that use horse wormer. I don't personally recommend it though.

Getting the right dose for a dog out of a horse wormer is really not worth the risk, in my opinion. You can't give Ivermectin to any Collie breeds at all. Most vet's sell Ivermectin in liquid form that is actually dosed correctly for dogs. I would check with your vet about that before I would use horse wormer.

Once a dog has heartworms, you have to go with a whole different treatment than Ivermectin. It is pretty on them rough too.

"The only way to have a friend is to be one."
roberts617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:53 PM  
Long Yearling

The merle gene is one that cause them to have slashy colored coats

Quote:
The merle coat color is characterized by patches of dilute pigment in combination with areas of full pigmentation. Therefore, the merle gene acts to lighten whatever coat color would otherwise be expressed. However, unlike other dilution genes, the lightening effect is not spread evenly over the coat, but is expressed as patches of diluted color scattered over the dog’s body. If the basic color of the dog is black, the effect of the merle gene is a soft gray, often referred to as “blue”. If the basic color of the dog is red, the effect of the merle gene is a pale red. The merle coat pattern is characteristic of a number of breeds recognized by the American Kennel Club, including the Shetland Sheepdog, Collie, Border Collie, Dachshund, Australian Shepherd, and Cardigan Welsh Corgi.
a blue merle

Against the grain should be a way of life
Don't take the free ride in your own life

Last edited by mlh619 : 01-07-2010 at 05:57 PM.
mlh619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:05 PM  
Newborn Member

Dosage for Ivermectin in Dogs

Hi all,

Here is how you properly dose dogs with liquid or paste ivermectin horse wormer:

***Collies, shelties and some other breeds cannot have ivermectin***

Also, if your dog currently has heart worms dosing with ivermectin can kill your dog. I did not start doing this until my dogs had a negative heart worm test.

Dosage:

Please note this is based upon the liquid or paste containing 1% ivermectin per ml.

Multiply 0.0015 times your dogs exact body weight. Then multiply 0.003 times your dogs exact body weight. Take the total from both and average it. This is done because the safe dosage range is 0.0015 to 0.003.

Example:

My dog weighs exactly 57 pounds.
57 x 0.0015=0.0855
57 x 0.003=0.171
.0855 + .171 = 0.2565
0.2565/2=0.12825

Use a sysringe with NO needle and administer 0.12825 MG orally to the dog. In this case, this only applies if your dog weighs 57 pounds. Use the exact weight of your dog. You can weigh yourself, pick up your dog, weigh again, then subtract your body weight to get your dogs weight.

There are other dosages available for skin parasites, etc. Don't overdose your dog or dose to often. If you aren't sure how to convert to MG and ML, etc. This isn't for you and you shouldn't be doing it.

Good luck.
HalterProHoustonTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:52 AM  
Bombproof Member

HalterPro, Unless you are a veterinarian you might rethink handing out advice on medicating an animal. Everything I have read says to Not give Ivermectin to dogs.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:28 AM  
Coming two

HEARTGARD® the number one heartworm medication for dogs is ivermectin.

I personally use Ivomec Injectible for Cattle with my dogs
http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ivom.../liv/cp/17181/

The one caution I have is NOT to use Ivomec Plus as it has another ingredient besides ivermectin.

https://www.facebook.com/CrownMaxLonghorn
Arabx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:56 PM  
Started

I understand what Heartgard is made from...but unless you have had your dog tested for the MDR1 gene (U of Washington, $70) - I think it is risky (and it is not just collie breeds that are positive for the gene)....and taking advice on dosing from an unknown stranger on a horse BB board I think would make you nuttier than a fruit cake.
alliebath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:23 PM  
Coming two

https://www.facebook.com/CrownMaxLonghorn

Last edited by Arabx : 01-17-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Arabx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:51 PM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalterProHoustonTX View Post
Hi all,

Dosage:

Please note this is based upon the liquid or paste containing 1% ivermectin per ml.

Multiply 0.0015 times your dogs exact body weight. Then multiply 0.003 times your dogs exact body weight. Take the total from both and average it. This is done because the safe dosage range is 0.0015 to 0.003.

Example:

My dog weighs exactly 57 pounds.
57 x 0.0015=0.0855
57 x 0.003=0.171
.0855 + .171 = 0.2565
0.2565/2=0.12825

Use a sysringe with NO needle and administer 0.12825 MG orally to the dog.

Good luck.
You get the same result by multiplying the dog's weight by .00225, and you lose 3 steps.

BUT, having a relationship with your vet is more important than saving a few bucks on wormer. Our animals need vets sometimes, so support them. If you cannot afford to do so, maybe reconsider owning animals.

Last edited by voiceofreason : 01-15-2013 at 10:06 PM.
voiceofreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:47 AM  
Newborn Member

My dog groomers vet sells her a bottle of liquid cattle and horse injectible ivermectin for about 5.00. She is told to divide her dogs body weight by 100. SHe has 2 labs and 2 maltese. She gives them each a dose monthly as their montly heartworm preventative. Many people do this where I live as it is the same thing as Heartguard which is our vets preferred heartworm preventative and this is much cheaper. She's been using the same 5.00 bottle for over a year for all 4 dogs. I use the paste horse wormer as I have horses. It's no different. Just because it is for horses doesn't make it a different product if you do the math right. My vet also sells the frontline in one xlarge pack adn gives us syringes with charts on it's usage for each animal size. They aren't supposed to do that either, but it's cheaper.
peppysfireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:58 PM  
Kid Safe

PLEASE don't do that! Heartgard is soo cheap!! Ivermectin will not get every worm out there either! So if you have a specific worm problem it's time to go to the vet! For prevention... just get Heartgard or Proheart or something!!! AHHH!!!!!! That's just a little scary that people do that!!

And if your dog has been diagnosed with heartworms ivermectin is NOT Going to get rid of them!!

RIP Justin
You stole my heart and for that, I am grateful.
Sirita_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:20 PM  
Weanling Member

six month supply of heartguard on petmeds for up 100lb dog for under 50 dollars, so less than 10 dollars a month...
voiceofreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:51 PM  
Newborn Member

I have seen a labrador retriever and jack russel with ivermectin toxicity, so it is not just the old "white feet, do not treat" of collie breeds. With the amount of cheap OTC products made specifically for dogs I wouldn't use horse ivermectin on my dogs.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs