Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2009, 09:52 AM  
Started

male dogs & female owners (or vice verse)...does it affect the bond?

There is another thread on here regarding what people prefer in the gender of their dogs that got me to thinking (& I didn't want to hijack the other thread). Does a mixed pair (female owner, male dog//male owner, female dog) bond better? Out of the dogs we've had over the years, my father's favorite was one of the females (& he was her favorite as well). My favorite is of course Koda (a male) & I'm his favorite. Just curious if there's something to be said for all this or if it's all just a big coincidence.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:03 AM  
Seasoned

So far, and I'm not that old yet.. but.. My favorite dog has been a girl.. but normally I prefer males.. but thats just me.. my hubby likes male dogs better too.. I like the size of males better.. just because I like the bigger dogs too.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:11 AM  
Greenbroke Member

I really think it has more to do with the actual dog and person than the sex of either. jmo.
BBT2T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:32 AM  
Weanling Member

being of the female gender and being in Animal Control and having done a fair bit of sheepdog trialling, I can say personally, I get along better with male dogs. Especially in the partnership relationship of handler and dog, I find the males rewarding and the females frustrating. There have been exceptions and this is just me.
Larwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:32 PM  
Kid Safe

My "lead dogs" have been female and have totally loved my ex-husband WAY better than me.

The "lesser" female and the male have been more bonded to me.

I don't even want to contemplate where that puts me on the hierarchy.

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:59 PM  
Bombproof Member

I will never own another female cat....as far as dogs go, I have much better luck bonding with the boys. I have two males now and they just think I'm da bomb.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:06 PM  
Newborn Member

I own 6 dogs, only one of which is female. I normally don't get along with female anything.. humans included. I own 3 horses, two gelding and a stallion. We get along super well.. I've owned a few mares, hadn't gotten along with any of them. I can't really consider that a coincidence. lol!
Old 12-06-2009, 07:11 PM  
Bombproof Member

Oh, I forgot about my horse. I have a mare, and we get along fine!
Old 12-06-2009, 07:15 PM  
Started

As far as horses go I prefer the geldings - the only time I have seen red ribbons on a horse trail riding - it has been a female But with dogs I find either one to be "the dog" fixed of course - they don't seem too different and I've had good females and good males. Right now I have a white 2 1/2 yr. old white GSD who is so hyper I can't figure out what his problem is - not a bad dog - listens well - just so crazy?
Stormy's Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:44 PM  
Coming two

In horses I would muuuuuch rather have a gelding. Unless its a really docile mare but in my experience I dont seem to get those very often! Well except my app mare. She was a doll. My gelding Memphis was always more comfortable with females. Whisper is just a spaz around anyone he doesnt know.

Anyways, in dogs I have both a male and a female. Ally seems to bond better with my mom and Ozzy bonds better with me. But I think Ally likes my dad a lot too where Ozzy is scared too death of him.

So I really think it depends on the person and animal. But thats my opinion.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:20 AM  
Kid Safe

In my experience fixing a female doesn't change behavior but in males it makes a whole lot of difference. So that being said, the only good male is a neutered one. Now I can bond with that.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:02 AM  
Started

In horses I like gelding better because of the general lazy way they are, and the fact that they can't have babies is nice.

But I have three cats at home and only one is male, we all get along fine, but both females sleep with me every night.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:42 PM  
Started

I've always bonded with male dogs better. The females we have had, I can train them until I'm blue in the face but they'll still only REALLY listen to my husband.

Ricca I've worked with a lot, but she'll only heel off-leash perfect for my husband unless I get all crazy dominant over her. Which only makes her listen grudgingly and give me dirty looks.

Logan will do anything for me with minimal training. Once he does it once and knows what I want, we're good. He won't do that for my husband, and he'll try and steal my husbands spot on the bed.

My husband can leave for a year to Iraq... and Ricca will listen just as good the day he comes home. So that ought to tell ya something!

Then as far as co-exsisting, I like having female/male or male/male... having several females landed me with a pack of disrecpectful girls who wanted to steal my spot on the bed, bicker with each other, and make a fuss over my husband. He liked it, I didn't care for it since I was the one who had to keep order and convince him not to antagonize the situation.

Our "perfect" pack is one of each with an extra male. The boys play so nice together! They're not neutered yet, and even with that they are WAAAY better than two unaltered females that close in age. They do everything together, even the vet trip for the snip-snip in Janurary will be together. And with Ricca being a hussy, she's at her best with only males and just one female (me) to listen to.

"The more people I meet the more I love my German Shepherd"
mandelyn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:58 PM  
Long Yearling

I have always prefered female animals to males...in everything except cats~~~male cats all the way for me.

I think that it's just me and my personality. I personallly feel for the most part females tend to be more "complex" and I'm one that prefers a challenge.

My best horses have always been mares. As for dogs we're into Siberian Huskies~a unique and many times frustrating breed in themselves ~We've had several over the many years and always the females and I seem to bond very closely. My hUbby was super-dupper close to one of our males severla years ago...he would lounge in the hammock with him every night after work.

I think for the most part there are pros and cons for each sex of animal and it just depends on there person.

~~"All that we love deeply becomes part of us" ~~
Helen Keller
Horsie Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs