Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2009, 03:33 PM  
Coming two

How many days does it take Parvo to run it's course?

My daughter's friend brought a stray puppy to my house for us to keep for him.It was only here for two days till it started vomiting and I immediately took it to the vet to get tested and it was positive for parvo.That was 4 days ago.The vet gave him a shot of antiobiotics and gave an anti nausea shot and some take home pills to give twice a day.It has been touch and go.His gums have lost some color but he is not throwing up blood or poohing it yet and he has diarrhea but he is able to control it till he goes out on potty breaks.We are giving @48cc of gatorade every half hour around the clock with out throwing it back up thanks to the daily anti nausea shots. On average how many days will it take for a puppy to pull through if they are going to overcome it ? He is now interested in nibbleing on saltines but not out of the woods yet.

Oh, I left out that it looks to be a lab/german shepard cross male and around 2 months old.

Last edited by dimpleflirt : 08-04-2009 at 03:35 PM.
dimpleflirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:37 PM  
Long Yearling

Not sure on how long it takes but have you tried tamiflu? I had a puppy get parvo even after having shots, but he pulled through rather quickly. I would like to think it was a mild case due to giving tamiflu. I think he was back to normal after about 5 days.
samtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:41 PM  
Coming two

I've read on the net about other people having luck with tamiflu but my vet didn't really respond when I asked him about it. Do you need a script for it?
Old 08-04-2009, 04:01 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
Should be able to find it in the health care isle at the grocery or Wally World.

We've been having a really big problem with Parvo up here too. The coyote population is getting way to large. Even having been vaccinated properly puppies and even young dogs are coming down with it.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:29 PM  
Coming two

Thank you! I'll go look.

The vet said that we have a pretty bad out break of it here too.I'm glad I caught it on the first day that he started to throw up. Now we have to wait and see if the two adult dogs that we have come down with it.
On the positive side he is starting to wag his tail and groom himself today but he's still worn out.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:16 PM  
Halter broke

The Tamiflu only works if you give it within the first 24-48 hrs after symptoms start. You would have to get it from your vet, as you need a script for it. Once your pup has made it past the first 3-4 days, you will usually see a rapid improvment. The big thing with Parvo is keeping the dog hydrated. Watch his skin terger, and his gums. His skin should bounce right back if you pull it up, it should not stay tented. And gums should stay pink, with a 1-2 second cap refill. If you think your pup is dehydrated, ask your vet about an IV line at home to give subq fluids. It is really simple, and you would be amazed how fluids will perk up a pup. Sounds like you boy is doing well though.
Nicole Ziemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:38 PM  
Coming two

Thank you for the help!
I think Thor is going to perk up, He eagerly took a jar of simple chicken baby food with the syringe. Hopefully it stays down all night. Tomorrow I'm going to start him on baby rice flakes and chicken w/ gravy. Hope all goes well.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:49 PM  
Kid Safe

Have your adult dogs been vaccinated? If not, I would ask your vet what to do about that...it is highly contagious, as you know...and can hang around for a while after all symptoms have ceased...but if they haven't been vaccinated it could make them more susceptible to have the shots now.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:46 PM  
Long Yearling

We bought a puupy one time that after a day started the vomiting and runs. I believe she was at the vets for about a week before she came home.

The vet told me that direct sunlight kills the parvo in the poops-so other dogs don't catch it. We also used bleach on everything we could...grass didn't like it so much but oh well.

Good Luck and hope your other dogs don't get sick to~it's such a nasty sickness.

~~"All that we love deeply becomes part of us" ~~
Helen Keller
Horsie Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:55 PM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimpleflirt View Post
I've read on the net about other people having luck with tamiflu but my vet didn't really respond when I asked him about it. Do you need a script for it?
My vet just brushed it off too. I do think you need a rx for it. I called my personal dr and he gave me some samples.
samtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:14 PM  
Coming two

Unfortunately one of my adult dogs did not have his shots and both plus our cat were taken in Saturday for yearly updated shots.Now, it is a wait and see game with my two older dogs.So far so good,but it may be as long as three weeks to incubate in their systems.
On a good note it has been two hours since the puppy had his baby food and nothing has come up and he seems to have a bit more energy. All in all this has cost me $180 to do someone a favor, but thankfully my daughter's friend is going to pay me this weekend for the vet bills.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:06 PM  
Yearling Member

Parvo doesnt usually effect older dogs. So you shouldnt be too worried there.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:28 AM  
Coming two

Bitgirl_95 I hope your right because I would hate to loose my 4yr old Aussie mix he's one of the smartest dogs I've owned.
Thank you for the responses everyone...I think he is coming out of it now.He ate a bowl full of baby food mix and his poo is getting a bit more solid than it was yesterday.Now all he wants to do is play but we are going to keep him quiet and on a simple diet for three more days to help him recover.I'm so happy that he seems to be getting better !

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs