Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2009, 11:15 PM  
Kid Safe

What kind of footing for a dog yard?

We have 2 large dogs that have pretty much wrecked a portion of our yard. The house is sold and we'll be moving to a new home with the yard not done yet. We want to have the dogs in one good sized area and I'm wondering what would be best to 1) keep down the smell of the urine 2) make for easy clean up when picking up poos 3) would work well in Canada where we get snow and it gets really cold.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:43 PM  
Halter broke

plain old hog fuel has always worked well in my dog run, and its inexpensive enough (at least here it is) to replace every few years as it breaks down. another option is cedar bark mulch which really helps cut down urine smell and tends to last a bit longer, but is more expensive. if the smell is still noticeable with both you could always get a stall deodorizer product and sprinkle it around where they seem to go most once a week.
another option is a product called groundscape which is made of recycled tires but is made to look like landscape mulch. it lasts forever and is eco-friendly, but im sure is more pricey than hog fuel or bark mulch, and im not sure how easily available it would be. it comes in a few colours as well.
justine604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:02 AM  
Started

We have a small yard that we use when it is rainy or muddy - nothing special, but small enough that I can spread straw on it when it gets too wet. On our area where the dogs run a path by the back fence, I use mulch - have to replace/refresh it, but keeps the mud down. We also have standard kennel runs, in the Pointer runs the b/f chose to just do concrete - a fairly smooth finish so it cleans up easily, where I put my Belgians (they are only there during the day or when we are not home) I have pea gravel - to help keep their feet nice and tight
alliebath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:41 AM  
Long Yearling

Dog Run Footing

Our dogs have pea gravel arround the trees/shurbs in thier dog run. Then over the grass we put rubber stall mats from UFA. It works great in the winter, as you can shovel it right off (I put the smooth side up)
It can get a bit slippery in the rain, but they dont run arround to much in there.

The do run is right out our back door, so it has a walk way in it that is concrete as well.

For odour, we clean and hose out our run every coupple of months. In the winter we just shovel the snow arround the trees and allow them to "potty" on the stall mats.
We use ProTect (industrial kennel cleaner you can purchase from Kane Vet Supplies or some smaller private pet shops on special order) about 3 times a year. Its pretty toxic stuff, but it works great. (DO NOT MIX IT WITH BLEACH OR A CONTAINER THAT HAD BLEACH WATER IN IT!!! =Smoke bomb that burns your lungs)
Then every coupple of months during the spring/summer/fall we use a concentrated mixture of Odourmute. It seems to be working like a hot D*mn. You really have to saturate the area, but it does work.

I would try to stay away from mulch etc as it attracts bugs, and if your dog run is close to your house, it will encourage bugs to come in during the winter. If you want a good "masking" smell, put some cedar bark chips in a large pail or barrel (tall enough so they cant pee ON the bark chips) Keep it in a dry spot (under a tree or something) and just stir it up every coupple of days or so, and your dog run will smell so good you will want to hang out in there!
haha - okay, maybe not THAT good....
LittleJewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:15 PM  
Kid Safe

Thanks! You have some really good ideas you guys!
Our dogs are indoor dogs, they just go out to go potty and rarely hang out outside unless we're there. I don't want them dragging stuff inside.
I just want to have a nice, green grass area where they don't ruin it at the new house.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:01 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
Where I work the dog runs both indoors and outdoors are all a layer of pea rock or small crushed limestone. But the limestone is really dusty after a while.

If I had designed them I would have layed down some of those rubber matts with the holes in them first, then the rock. We've had a few diggers in and they've created nice large holes in the corners of the runs.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:12 PM  
Started

a friend just made a yard for her large dogs, used mostly concrete, the rest gravel, just hoses the yard to clean.
Danni L is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs