Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2009, 11:49 AM  
Started

So, here's what you do when your dog eats sleeping pills.

Good lord, this dog Logan!! Parvo last week, he felt better, way better, starting yesterday.

So what does he do today? Find's my husband's pill bottle with perscription strength sleeping pills in it. He had to have gotten on two legs to get this. And he couldn't have gotten the Tylenol next to it, could he?

I walked in and saw the orange bottle in his mouth, lidless. He was maybe alone for, 10 minutes? I know where the bottle was, supposed to be out of dog reach!! Course I didn't know this dog was just bound and determined to kill himself one way or another. He survived the Parvo, so he moves on to sleeping pills!!!

We scrambled around looking for pills, found 6 of a bottle that holds 20, did some math on how many my husband had taken, determined anywhere from 1-4 the dog could have had.

These pills are no joke, small little blue ones that knock my 240 pound husband on his butt in 20 minutes. It's for serious sleep issues related to PTSD.

So on a little 13 week old 20 pound puppy... well let's just say he started losing mobility in 5 minutes after I caught him with the bottle. I very quickly realized he had ingested some.

Since he had the Parvo though, I was equipped with sryinges, so the first thing I did was flood him with Pedialite before he lost more function hoping to dilute it.

I thought he had very little food in his stomach, he's only supposed to eat very small tablespoon amounts because of the Parvo.

I get the vet on the phone, and she said to give him Hydrogen Peroxide in one of the syringes, a 1/2 cup "serving".

So I did that, and he begins to vomit within 2 minutes. My husband had given him A LOT of food!!! Like his and Ricca's it looked like. Luckily he had that much food, to slow down the metabolism of the pills, and luckily I flooded him with Pedialite to make it all come up easier.

It's been about an hour and a half now since it happened, he's sleepy, but awake and reasonably alert considering. The vet just called to check on him, says he should be fine with how long it's been and he's showing improvement.

My word. I don't even know how he got the dang pills. Unless my husband left them low the last time he took them. But still, and why not the tylenol? That wouldn't have been near as bad.

But I never even would have thought Hydrogen Peroxide to make him vomit. Sure worked fast. And I'm happy my husband grossly overfed him, it kept the pills from getting into his system as fast as they could have.

What next? What's going to happen next week in the never ending saga of Logan's little life??

"The more people I meet the more I love my German Shepherd"
mandelyn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:09 PM  
Started

Sounds like Logan needs a nice padded room until he's like 5
Old 06-21-2009, 12:19 PM  
Pasture Pet

I don't think asking "what's next?" is a safe question for you! Wow I'm glad Logan is recovering nicely after the sleeping pills but wow very scary.

Night Fire Ranch
Gotta Love Duns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:36 PM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandelyn82 View Post
Good lord, this dog Logan!! Parvo last week, he felt better, way better, starting yesterday.

So what does he do today? Find's my husband's pill bottle with perscription strength sleeping pills in it. He had to have gotten on two legs to get this. And he couldn't have gotten the Tylenol next to it, could he?

I walked in and saw the orange bottle in his mouth, lidless. He was maybe alone for, 10 minutes? I know where the bottle was, supposed to be out of dog reach!! Course I didn't know this dog was just bound and determined to kill himself one way or another. He survived the Parvo, so he moves on to sleeping pills!!!

We scrambled around looking for pills, found 6 of a bottle that holds 20, did some math on how many my husband had taken, determined anywhere from 1-4 the dog could have had.

These pills are no joke, small little blue ones that knock my 240 pound husband on his butt in 20 minutes. It's for serious sleep issues related to PTSD.

So on a little 13 week old 20 pound puppy... well let's just say he started losing mobility in 5 minutes after I caught him with the bottle. I very quickly realized he had ingested some.

Since he had the Parvo though, I was equipped with sryinges, so the first thing I did was flood him with Pedialite before he lost more function hoping to dilute it.

I thought he had very little food in his stomach, he's only supposed to eat very small tablespoon amounts because of the Parvo.

I get the vet on the phone, and she said to give him Hydrogen Peroxide in one of the syringes, a 1/2 cup "serving".

So I did that, and he begins to vomit within 2 minutes. My husband had given him A LOT of food!!! Like his and Ricca's it looked like. Luckily he had that much food, to slow down the metabolism of the pills, and luckily I flooded him with Pedialite to make it all come up easier.

It's been about an hour and a half now since it happened, he's sleepy, but awake and reasonably alert considering. The vet just called to check on him, says he should be fine with how long it's been and he's showing improvement.

My word. I don't even know how he got the dang pills. Unless my husband left them low the last time he took them. But still, and why not the tylenol? That wouldn't have been near as bad.

But I never even would have thought Hydrogen Peroxide to make him vomit. Sure worked fast. And I'm happy my husband grossly overfed him, it kept the pills from getting into his system as fast as they could have.

What next? What's going to happen next week in the never ending saga of Logan's little life??

Be VERY thankful it wasn't the Tylenol. It is extremely livertoxic and will kill a dog in a heartbeat.
eclectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:25 PM  
Greenbroke Member

We always tell owners to give peroxide. But do not use it if they ate something that could be harmful on the way back up, like fishing luers or acidic liquids.

Pink Tiger says 'Grrrrrr'
joustinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:26 PM  
Started

You were very lucky! Yes Hydrogen Peroxide has been in my dog kit for years--ever since a dachshund of mine decided the neighbour's compost pile [against our fence], and any stray possibly edible items on 10 acres should be consumed.
One of my dog medical books from years ago had the amt. per lb to give.
I had to use it on 5 separate occasions--it got so she would come in and go to the bathroom to be lifted into the tub so she could be induced to vomit!!
Old 06-21-2009, 09:58 PM  
Kid Safe

I was told to use a spoonful of salt and pour it down their throat. I had to do it a couple of times with a dog we used to have and it did make him throw up what he'd eaten.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:41 AM  
A J
Greenbroke Member

What a little trouble maker!

Peroxide, huh? Guess I'll add that to the camping bags!

Try not, do or do not. There is no try.
A J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:55 AM  
Started

He's such a goober!!! He prances around here this morning like he's the coolest dog ever, with his little smile on his face!

Something funny, when I called the vet yesterday she was out on a call and very business-like with me on the phone and told me the peroxide thing and all that. She called me back after getting back to the office and looking in Logan's file, and finding out which dog it was, she started laughing! 13 weeks old, has a rep. at the vet's office already!

"The more people I meet the more I love my German Shepherd"
mandelyn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:32 AM  
Coming two

The ASPCA has a poison hotline number 1-888-426-4435, you may want to keep this handy in the future There is a charge but if you are at home and have a question they are a big help.
http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/

Roo, The Beagle, ate a whole Pecan pie one Thanksgiving. So I know the Hydrogen Peroxide very well! He also ate half a medium pizza once, he really loves food. Roo has Logan beat by a long shot, last weekend, at my daughter's college graduation, Roo grabbed something out of the motel parking lot's bush, I automatically reached in and grabbed it out, it was Rat Poison- one of those green stick like things. Sigh, I owe some of my grey hair to him.

https://www.facebook.com/CrownMaxLonghorn
Arabx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:50 PM  
Pasture Pet

I guess little Logan is keeping everyone on their toes.
And the peroxide tip is a handy one to know, thanks
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:57 PM  
Long Yearling

My brother's lab caused him to learn the hydrogen peroxide trick. He grabbed a dress sock and when told to "drop it" decided to flip it up and swallow. Call the vet and told to peroxide him. Up comes the sock.

So the next week what does the dog do? Of course, the same. He did it 3 times total that I know of before my brother was able to do dog proofing on the hamper.....LOL.

Dogs, you gotta love them.
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:09 PM  
Kid Safe

Have used the peroxide a few times. Most recently with one of my Airedales who liked to eat collars off of other dogs, (meaning I cannot leave nylon collars on any of my dogs because she will chew them off). This time it was a visiting stud dog to whom she was being bred. I gave them some "private time", came back, and his collar was no where to be found. I did peroxide - no results. Took her to the vet. They had to do it three times. After that they were going to operate. It all came up at last - they saved it for me in a plastic bag.... She also delivered a nice litter of pups nine weeks later....
singing tree is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs