Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2009, 05:28 PM  
Halter broke

Need help putting weight on my yorkie

My 6 yr old yorkie is down to 4.1 lbs. I feel that he should be at least a lb more than he is. Weight has never been a problem up until the past few months. He's a small dog anyway, but lately I've been noticing that his ribs, spine and hip bones are sticking out more than usual. He is utd on shots and wormings. He seems to be picky with his food all of a sudden. He's been on Pedigree for small breed dogs since he went on adult food years ago. Is there anything that I can do to get him to gain weight safely? He's pretty sedentary, not high energy at all. I did buy him the wet puppy food and mix with the dry pedigree, but he picks around the dry. Next, I just give him the wet food. He was good with that for a week or so and now, he's not real interested in that. He does eat, but won't finish the whole bowl. I know that I could fatten him up with treats, but I don't want him overweight and I want his weight gain to be done the healthy way. Any ideas short of taking him to the vet? That is my next step. Thanks!
hilltopfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:44 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
Canned food usually doesn't have the nutrients in it that dry does.

I'd start by looking around for a good quality dog food meant specially for toy breeds. Something with a good source of meat for it's first ingredient and a good source of fat as well.

I'm not very familiar with toy breeds dietary needs so I don't really know of a good food to suggest but Pedigree is not one that I would choose. It's mostly corn based with a bit of meat flavoring.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:53 PM  
Halter broke

Thanks for the reply! I went with the Pedigree since that is what my vet had suggested over the Iams that we had been feeding. I am open to anything though, I just want him to be healthy and at this weight, I don't feel that he is. Should I look for a food that is higher in fat content or protein or what should I look for besides being meat based? Would it help if I cooked for him? If so, do you have suggestions as to what I should start with. I know some people do the chicken and rice, etc. If nothing else, I will take him to the vet, I just thought I might get some ideas here first.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:06 PM  
Newborn Member

I have a yorkie too who is a very picky eater. What i do to get him to eat is just to cook a small piece of chicken (without any seasonings except a little salt) and pour the "juice" on his dry food with little pieces of the chicken.
The food he is on now is Rachel Ray's dry dog food (bought at publix).
We have also fed him Hills Science Diet for small breeds, Nutro for small breeds and Beneful Puppy Food (it is more nutritious than adult dog food) and he has done fine with all of those.... the thing with my yorkie is that he gets sick of the same food very quickly so we have to keep changing it or he wont eat it. (every few months).
If he still refuses to eat you can also buy Nutri-Cal, which is a high calorie dietary supplement for picky eaters, I guess it tastes good, I just put a little on My finger and my dog licks it right off

Good luck.... I hope this helps and if it doesnt, be sure to take him to the vet.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:34 PM  
Halter broke

Thanks for the replies. Where can I buy the Nutri-cal? I've heard of it before, but not sure where lol I will try the chicken over the dry food and see if that helps. Should I maybe up the times per day that I feed him? Right now he gets it morning and night with a treat or two in between...if he will eat them. Usually he takes it to one of the other dogs and almost hands it to him. Oh btw, I do separate him at feeding time so I know exactly what he is eating.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:55 PM  
Weanling Member

Also ask the vet if he was wormed for tapeworms. My vet always worms for hook and rounds but if no tapes are evident on the fecal they do not do it unless I tell them I have seen a tape worm. Looks like a grain of rice on the tail. Some wormers do not treat for the tapes.

I started my dogs on Lamb and Rice a few years back when my chihuahua was thin, it is a good formula from Purina... Exclusive is the name. I have seen good results with that.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:00 AM  
Greenbroke Member

In my experience it is unusual for a dog to be dangerously thin by his own choosing. So why is he not eating? Even a 6 year old Yorkie can have horrible dental disease, not the kind that you can see just by lifting up the lips on the front teeth. They are notorious for having Endocrine problems, so maybe some bloodwork would give some answers.

Is he intact? I have seen intact males worry themselves and not want to eat, especially if they are near other dogs.

Pink Tiger says 'Grrrrrr'
joustinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:47 AM  
Coming two

Quote:
Originally Posted by joustinggirl View Post
In my experience it is unusual for a dog to be dangerously thin by his own choosing. So why is he not eating? Even a 6 year old Yorkie can have horrible dental disease, not the kind that you can see just by lifting up the lips on the front teeth. They are notorious for having Endocrine problems, so maybe some bloodwork would give some answers.

Is he intact? I have seen intact males worry themselves and not want to eat, especially if they are near other dogs.

This is very good advice. I was going to suggest having his teeth checked as well.
gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:51 PM  
Halter broke

I don't think that he is dangerously thin, but could stand to gain a little weight. He is on the thinner side and I personally would like to see another lb on him. However I'm not a vet and maybe a lb is too much. I just know that he is suddenly picky about his food that he's been on for years, not something that I've ever dealt with in any of our other dogs. He is still intact, originally he was bought for breeding purposes, but things didn't work out that way. My sil was going to buy the female and ended up with another small breed male, no breeding there lol. I only have one female here and she is already spayed and he doesn't leave my property without a leash, so I have no worries about him breeding someones dog. I never gave a thought to him being intact may be his food issues. I have not and do not intend to use him for breeding at this point, so having him neutered is an option. Thank you all for your replies. I will try some of the suggestions and eventually have his teeth checked and neutered.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:44 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Prostate checks for intact males are also a good idea, cancer is a worry later in life, but they can a prostatic abscess at any age.

Pink Tiger says 'Grrrrrr'
joustinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:48 PM  
Pasture Pet

If you are going to have the vet check him for prostate, or before having him neutered, check his trachea. the little dogs are prone to the throat closing up, this has happened to a yorkie I had years ago and the vet said just to feed ground chicken and rice with vitamins or ground beef and rice with , ground liver was another meat plus vitamins, he did well on this diet for a long time.
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:57 PM  
Halter broke

I went and bought the Beneful and he loves it, hopefully that will continue. So far he's only eaten it twice. I am still going to have him checked out by the vet within the next month. I would like to see how he does with the new food first . I've been considering having him neutered for the last year anyway, so I've decided to just go ahead and have it done. Thank you all for the replies!!

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs