Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2009, 10:08 AM  
Newborn Member

Dog Pooping blood HELP

My 10 month old Welsh Terrier was sick on Friday and pooped out straight blood. There was wormy looking things in it. I called the vet and off we went. The vet looked her over and said that she looked good. That the wormy looking things were not worms but intestinal bits. They gave me antibiotics and Kaopeptate. She was fine all weekend and pooped normal. Then this morning it is happening again. Called the vet and they said to just keep giving her the meds and she will be fine.

Needless to say.....I am freaked out. I don't have a lot of money and I know that it is not an excuse but I can't afford a huge vet bill. I am out of work and have 3 kids. Anyone else seen this. She is up to date on all shots and had her poop checked for worms and has been taking her heart worm pills.

Thanks,
Nancy
Nanjack00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:16 AM  
Halter broke

Send a message via AIM to QHRookie
Sorry to hear about your puppy!

Do you know if she ate anything strange?

Also, is she eating and drinking normally now?

Laura
Old 01-19-2009, 10:21 AM  
Bombproof Member

I'd be willing to bet she's eaten something she shouldn't have. If you have a crate, keep her in it 100% of the time except for potty breaks, so you can know for sure exactly what's going.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:32 AM  
Coming two

My dog had this also once, but it ran its course (probably about 1 1/2 weeks) and was gone.
cinnamon_girl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:39 AM  
Yearling Member

Send a message via MSN to pauldonnelly Send a message via Yahoo to pauldonnelly
is it vomiting and acting listless if so its possibly puppy parvo

if not they have a product called red cell for dogs that will help restore blood and balance the anemia you puppy is having from the blood loss give lots of fliuids if vomiting try to feed meat and rice based baby food its cheap
Old 01-19-2009, 10:57 AM  
Newborn Member

Other than pooping blood twice this morning she is acting fine. In fact as I am typing this she is playing with her toys. Her gums look good. She really is not eating a whole lot, but that seems to be normal for her. Marley likes to eat in the evening.

She seems to put everything in her mouth so maybe she got ahold of something bad.

She is crate trained and is in it whenever she can't be watched. She only has the run of the kitchen since she is not trustworthy. When you let her out she does her business and comes right back in, but doesn't ask to be let out so we have house training issues. Have tried hanging a bell from door but she either plays with it like a cat or ignores it totally.

I appreciate you guys getting back with me. I will be going to the store to get some rice and cottage cheese for her.

Nancy
Old 01-19-2009, 11:01 AM  
Weanling Member

Is there any chance your dog got a hold of rodent poison? The main symptom is pooping blood. If it's caught in time, the vet can give vitamin k to completely stop the process. If left untreated, it 's fatal. The pellets that people leave out for ground squirrels, etc. are very appealing to dogs.
dtxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:05 AM  
Yearling Member

Send a message via MSN to pauldonnelly Send a message via Yahoo to pauldonnelly
what color and consistancy is the blood in the stool?

bright red and kinda liquid means fresh blood possible she ate something that lodged in her stomach or intestine and tore alittle could try palpatating to see if shes tender or you feel something hard or unusual

Dark red and thicker or firm stool could mean old blood where she ate and passed something that did alittle damage and is now passing a scab like lining
Old 01-19-2009, 11:11 AM  
Yearling Member

Just went through this with my 90 lb Labrador. Talked to the vet and since he is up to date on all of his shots, including parvo, vet was not worried. Prescribed antibiotics and said to keep an eye on him. Also suggested worming him in 6-8 weeks.

AFTER the bloody stool episodes, goofy dumb dog got out of his crate and went counter surfing - - he snagged 2 lbs of homemade toll house cookies, 2 sticks of butter, a 1/2 bag of nachos, a 1 lb bag of hershey dark chocolate kisses with the foil wrappers on, a can of cat food (cats didn't eat it fast enough) and 2 tangerines and probably some other stuff, too. Needless to say, he threw up everywhere, but since this isn't the first time he has played "escape artist who eats everything in sight" I wasn't panic stricken enough to call the vet. After two days of puking and pooping foil wrappers, he is back to his normal goofy self.
you never knew were empty.
Captain Jean Luc Picard
irishmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:21 AM  
Newborn Member

The poop earlier was all blood and was watery red with the wormy looking things in it. It wasn't real bright but wasn't real dark either. I know it is not worms though. When she pooped again later it was light brown and watery.

We don't have any rat or mouse poison anywhere in the house.

She is let outside on a lead and is watched the whole time so we can make sure she went to the bathroom. She goes off the stoop about 2 feet and then comes back up and jumps on the door to come in.

The vet palpated her and said she just felt very liquidy and I did earlier today and she didn't seem in pain and I don't know what it is suppose to feel like but she felt soft. Maybe she ate a piece of mulch or something and it scratched up her insides. I don't know. The snow hasn't been distrubted by my flower bed though.

Animals can make you feel so helpless!
Old 01-19-2009, 11:24 AM  
Halter broke

Send a message via AIM to QHRookie
It sounds like a bit of Gastroenteritis. Perhaps witholding food for a couple of meals and allowing plenty of water will allow her system to get back to normal?

Laura
Old 01-19-2009, 11:25 AM  
Newborn Member

Irishmusic......thanks for making me laugh...I needed that. Glad to hear he is fine.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:31 AM  
Long Yearling

My dog started the same symptoms several months ago except for the wormy bits. She was tested for everything under the sun and every blood test came back negative for any type of parasite. They have determined that she has colitis. She took antibiotics to help heal her intestines and they gave her two rounds of Panacur (bascially an extreme wormer) but we've had to keep her on a very strict diet. She is on prescription food and only that. We tried to wean her back to regular food (Science Diet/Iams,Nutro) but every time we did she went back to the same symptoms so she will stay on this diet for good. She never had symptoms before so its strange but the diet is keeping her symptom free. I hope your dog feels better.
Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:35 PM  
Bombproof Member

How is your pup now?

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:49 PM  
Pasture Pet

Hope your puppy is better, any update,
DO not feed the rawhide chewies, or the greenies. I have had similiar experience with these two items, that I forbid them from being in the house.
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:27 PM  
Newborn Member

Well we have her on a bland diet right now. She is eating rice and cottage cheese per the vets advice. I have noticed that every 3 days she goes through this. I was so upset yesterday when she did it again that I got out a plastic spoon and decided I would scoop it all up and take it to the vet. Well the stuff is like jello. It all just scooped up and wiggled right into the baggie.

The vet called me back and said, just give her a bland diet for a week and she will be fine. Said this is not "uncommon". Well this is the first dog in my 40 years of owning one that this has happened to.

The funny thing is....I forgot about the baggie and when the girls got home from school and opened the fridge.......lol.

But she seems to be better, but we will see.

Nancy
Old 01-26-2009, 06:02 AM  
Weanling Member

Just a hunch but to me it sounds like coccidia. The vet can give you albion to treat it, but you can also get dimethox at Tractor Supply. I am going to see if I can find you the dosage info. Hopefully if you call up your vet they will just give it to you. Usually they can test for it, but it takes floating the stool I believe, it's a different way of testing (I forgot).

http://www.peteducation.com/article....d=727&c=2+2107

That might give you a little info. Heartguard does not treat for it.

It wouldn't hurt to treat her. If she has it, she will pretty much always have it in her system and you might get flare-ups at times, but generally a healthy immune system will control it.

ETA: Also someone mentioned using Panacur. You can use Safeguard, it's the same thing. You can even buy a tube of horse dewormer. Safeguard is just that, it's very safe. You want to adjust the weight accordingly. For a smaller dog you buy the liquid goat safeguard and use a syringe for the correct oral dosage. Either way, you need to treat your dog for 3 days in a row with safeguard. Sometimes, just like horses, dogs need a good cleaning out.

Last edited by SweetPea&Sage : 01-26-2009 at 06:09 AM.
SweetPea&Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:57 AM  
Newborn Member

Well. last night I mixed some of her dry food with the cottage cheese to switch her back over from her bland diet and this morning we had the same thing. The whole time she was on the bland diet her stools were still soft, but had no blood or intestine bits in it. This morning she pooped pretty normal and then asked to be let out right away again and it was the blood jello stuff. Then she pooped 3 tiny spots on my floor that were whitish...no blood.

Have a call into the vet. Hope to hear back from her today as to what is next. I mentioned that several have told me that maybe she has coccidia.

I appreciate everyone listening to me blab on....I am a little frightened by all of this.

Nancy
Old 01-29-2009, 09:12 AM  
Weanling Member

Dogs don't normally tolerate cow's milk products, especially after puppyhood. Maybe try some canned pumpkin for fiber. Supplying fiber has the opposite effect on dogs when stricken with diarrhea.

Try probiotics (Fastrac or Probios)and slippery elm. You can get this herb at most drug stores in the vitamin section and the probiotics at a farm store.

A bland diet is great but try oatmeal and salt-free/fat-free chicken broth. No cottage cheese! Maybe some electrolytes to prevent dehydration.
2manyfurbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:21 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I am sorry you and your puppy are going through all this. I would maybe get a second opinion. You could try giving her cooked chicken and rice. I would stay away from any dry food right now. Also any milk products. Maybe she has developed an allergy to some product in the dog food.

BabyMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs